AK Rifles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having some serious reliability issues in my SKS with some Ukrainian made Wolf that I bought about a month back. It seems to stovepipe, or bolt carrier slams the empty casing against chamber some other way, or the bolt somehow barely opens up or doesn't open up at all, leaving it locked up again on the empty case. A combination of these types of jams would happen about 2-3 times at least out of every 10 rounds. I'm pretty certain it's the ammo and not an issue with the rifle, or at the very least the ammo is the primary culprit, because I've tried out some older Tula I had right after it, and of the 30 rounds I had, all of them fed and cycled perfectly fine, mere minutes after and before, this new stuff continued to jam up at these really high rates. I wanted to ask if anyone else has recently tried this stuff out in their SKS (Yugo in particular), and if so, what their results were. Oddly enough I had no problems with it in my AK so far. This was HP btw, but this rifle never used to have problems with hp's before so I doubt bullet type was a factor in causing this.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Re: Anyone have any issues with Ukranian Wolf (HP) in their

Have you tried really cleaning the chamber with a chamber brush? I'm not trying to sound like a smartass, but if the Yugo SKS in question has been used before, there could be some serious dried up crud in there that might be causing your issue.

I scored several hundred rounds of this stuff a few months ago, and shot it out of a Russian SKS, and had no issues. The fact that you have had no issues with this ammo in another weapon seems to indicate a possible dirty chamber.

Something else to check on your Yugo SKS is the gas shutoff valve spring and seal. If its leaking, this would also cause issues like your having.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts

Also make sure your recoil spring isn't in backwards. It will cause the symptoms you describe.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts

Yugom5966 said:
Also make sure your recoil spring isn't in backwards. It will cause the symptoms you describe.
Good point...I'd forgot about that one!

·
Registered
2,072 Posts

Never had any issues with Wolf HP out of a Yugo/Chinese SKS.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I may not clean it perfectly, but I do clean the chamber after each session, so I don't think that's it, but I'll give it an even better cleaning since I guess it can't hurt. After the first time this occurred I also thoroughly re-cleaned the gas tube, piston, the operating rod, the spring for the operating rod, and the channel in which the operating rod sits in, along with disassembling the bolt and cleaning it, and the extractor in particular. When it happened yet again, I also took the gas valve out cleaned it, and the gas port of the barrel, though there was nothing obstructing either or really making either super dirty. There was some light pitting, but nothing of the order that gas should be leaking. Though I did clean the valve a few months ago real nice, and that may have caused it to become slightly too loose (with the bit of rust previously providing greater friction making it more stuck in one spot). Nonetheless if a gas leak is really the case, why would 30 rounds of something else, function perfectly fine, alongside other ammo shot in it since that cleaning, while this stuff jams up ever 3rd-4th round? This last time I took it shooting, I noticed the gas valve, very minimally moved up in the process of shooting, but even when I put it back again all the way down (again a very minor difference) it was having the same issues. Conversely the Tula, despite it being in the same barely moved position, functioned fine 100%. The recoil spring is squiggly portion into the bolt carrier, straight portion towards the back of receiver, so that shouldn't be it, right?

I'm pretty certain there's more to it than the rifle. I know this stuff has some different coating than the Tula, lacquer again I believe it's claimed to be, but I shot laquered Golden Tiger, Brown Bear, even some old Wolf and Wolf MC, back when they were lacquer coated and it fed them fine.

I suppose procuring me a new gas valve can't hurt, just in case, but I'm almost willing money on it pulling the same stunts with a new valve. Maybe slightly less frequently but still often. I guess I'll find out.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts

Keep us posted if you can resolve the problem or not. It may be a bad lot of ammo and not a problem with your weapon.

FWIW, Mosins can sometimes suffer from a very sticky bolt, even after a really good cleaning. If you bought your SKS used, it might have a buildup in the chamber that is really hard to get off. If you check up an old section of a cleaning rod with a solvent soaked patch, you might be shocked at what comes out.

It could also be that your rifle does not like this ammo for whatever reason. I have a ChiCom SKS that hates Yugo M67 ball, and will not group worth a damn. Eats everything else I've fed it though, so go figure.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Yeah I'll keep you guys posted. I got a new valve on the way. Once it gets here, I'll find out exactly where things stand.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

All right guys, looks like the Ukrainian ammo got judged prematurely by me. I tried out the SKS today again with the new gas valve, and that got it functioning totally reliably even with the Ukrainian Wolf. Pretty awesome not having to fidget with it in hopes of finding a cure anymore. For my own interest I took some Military Classic with me as well, and tried that out alongside the Ukraine Wolf and it cycled fine even with the old valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts