AK Rifles banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is my opinion ... others may have a different point of view

It never is a good idea to pay everything up front for work.
It removes the motivation for the seller / provider to actually deliver.
I have read more tales of woe than I have read of people who were glad they paid in advance.
I know that in many cases the person meant well, and some miscalculation caused the deal to unravel.
It is good you are asking the questions before making your decision.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
This is my opinion ... others may have a different point of view

It never is a good idea to pay everything up front for work.
It removes the motivation for the seller / provider to actually deliver.
I have read more tales of woe than I have read of people who were glad they paid in advance.
I know that in many cases the person meant well, and some miscalculation caused the deal to unravel.
It is good you are asking the questions before making your decision.
this is spot on , there is a thread on here now where a fella paid a clown up front in full ,more than 2 years later he has only received threats of his rifle/kit being chopped up

the semi local guy (driving distance) i had do my G build refused any money upfront , wouldnt even take half , so when he over shot his time quote i knew it was a matter of being busy overall and not that he has my money already and i was tabled on the back burner

Reactions: gmourn

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don’t do it run. Money must be tight and they’re looking for financing to get the project completed or to keep the lights on. Not saying they aren’t legitimate but this doesn’t sound healthy.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I've had folks buy from them. GTG there I think.
My experience w/gunsmiths is poor.
2 projects each took over a year to complete.
Both were less than satisfactory upon completion.
I've had the same experience w/electricians, plumbers, carpenters, mechanics, so it's not just one trade.
I've been self employed off and on for 50 years.
I understand getting backed up. One is liath to turn down work, but you can take on too much too.
I always stood the labor, but would ask for deposites on parts. So they have some incentive then to come pick the thing up when it's done.
I'd continue to research this some.
But this site, and many others are full of "They've had my $#!+ forever threads".
Pays your money and takes your chances.
Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like solid advice. I'm going to pass. (Not on SMGCO in particular, they seem fine - but on any pre-buy deals.)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Seems like solid advice. I'm going to pass. (Not on SMGCO in particular, they seem fine - but on any pre-buy deals.)
find someone within driving distance , , there are very competent gunsmiths that can do rifle builds that do not advert on the boards , mainly because they do not have to , they have plenty of work , you know because everyone knows they are good and take their work to them ,lol , some of these guys online will say it can take 6-8 months before they can even start yours , so why not look around

·
Registered
3,547 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Reactions: 43m1garand

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’d be a little wary of fronting $ for a future build. Not dumping on this particular outfit, but I do remember the Lancaster fiasco.

·
Registered
65 Posts
SMGCO won a couple of milled kit auctions from me on GB earlier this year. They paid quickly so no problems there.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Is it a good deal or should i just buy a kit and build it my self. I’ve never built an ak by the way lol
i think he is questioning their integrity to deal with them at all

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is it a good deal or should i just buy a kit and build it my self. I’ve never built an ak by the way lol
An MD-65 kit ,barrel,receiver,semi auto parts,rivets,etc. cost around $800 these days. Then you need the tools and knowledge... $1k is not a bad deal. Having said that, I agree that you shouldn't send them any money for a future build. Too many things can go wrong even if they're a stand-up outfit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts