AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked high and low for a photo or something that shows the PG-2 round disassembled or even cut-away. You'd think it would be easier to find. :neutral:

If anyone has anything, you can post it here or e-mail/PM it to me but I'm sure it would be a great reference for other folks here. Appreciate in advance any help.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does help a bit - I was trying to see if the nose cap was one piece going a little into the body or if it was simply screwed-on over (if that makes any sense how I wrote it).

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The nose cap and body, where the shaped charge/HE live are permanantly attached in all the examples I've seen. I don't know if they are welded, brazed, or what, but it does not come apart at that joint.

·
Registered
215 Posts
PG-2

Rayman,

Check here:

http://www.russianwarrior.com/STMMain.h ... mmo1.htm&1

If you need more let me know and I will snap a few (minus the fuse).

There were actually 11 known PG-2 munitions from six different countries. Let me know if you need more info.

Soviet Union:
PG-2 HEAT
PG-2 HEAT improved Model I
PG-2 HEAT improved Model II

Poland:
Granatnik PG-2 HEAT (Basically a clone of the Soviet PG-2)
Granatnik Improved PG-2 HEAT (A much improved Granatnik PG-2)

China:
Type-50 HEAT
Type-50 I HEAT
Type-56-I HEAT
Type-56 II HEAT

North Korea:
LCC-32 Frag
(North Korea also copied the Type-56 I & II)

Romania:
ZG-RG Blast / Incendiary

Vietnam: (Various local designations)

PG-2 (Field expedient HE) - Made from unexploded U.S. BLU-66 "Pineapple" 1.1 lb Anti-Personnel Bomblets

Additionally the the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF), and their military wing the Bangsamoro Islamic Armed Forces (BIAF) currently produce at least three separate PG-2 variants (HEAT. HE-Frag and Frag). They also produce an RPG-2 and M-79 clone as well.

Again, let me know if you need more info.

Semper Fidelis
Nick

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw the site and it was, indeed, helpful. I'm not terribly familiar with the PG-2 rounds and was puzzled at a North Korean item I purchased fairly cheap thinking it might be part of a North Korean PG-2/LCC-32 nose. The markings just looking strikingly similar to me as the style in which lot numbers are written a'la PG-7 rounds.

Here's a couple of photos to show what I'm talking about:

If it's not, no big deal. It's still interesting but saw similarities to the PG-2 with it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
It looks a lot like a Chinese or NK Type 50 - fluted ogive, no anti-ricochet cap, etc. - with a shaped / inverted cone to me.

I am assuming you do not have the canister shaped main body that the forward ogive would have been pressed into? Do you have a clearer view of one side?

It is definitely not the 42mm nose of an LCC-32.

Standing by...

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Forgot this photo:

Again, I was a bit mystified at it and since it was pretty cheap, bought it as a curio. I'm awaiting its arrival in a week or so. I appreciate any input - I've personally never seen a North Korean PG-2 or PG-7 round but the writing is definately Korean.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a crap-tastic photo comparison and I don't have their sizes quite equal but it looks pretty close:

·
Registered
215 Posts
PG-2

Rayman,

Copy all.

This first photo - the PG-2 cutaway - looks a lot like your "crap-tastic" pic:

The next two are just for generic reference:

More to follow.

S/F
Nick

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Not to hijack your thread Chris but Nick's water color charts (great btw)...I noticed this pic when looking through the latest Russian/Georgian conflict when the fighting broke out.....

It looks like your typical OG-7 but look closer....it looks like it has a larger head...ya know?...Most OG-7 photos I see, the round is installed to where ya just see the silver part of the nose.

It's as if a OG-7 had a baby with a PG-7M...

Guess it's a OG-7V???

·
Registered
236 Posts
PG-2

Just an incredible thread...will dig up the PG-2 fuzes and show some pics of the different examples...don't hold your breath though...about to go out of town to Phoenix next week Anybody to visit there? Don at Omega doesn't have anything new.

Nick: :hail:

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sturm, I think it's just the way the photo is because of quality. It would also appear the soldier has the round simply slid partway down (maybe he didn't want to load it completely at the time).

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bump

SturmGrenadier,

Good catch. I did not think the Russian OG-7V Oskolok “Pencil" - as opposed to the Bulgarian OG-7V (two different rounds) - stuck out of the launcher that far. I will have to check some things. I think however, that the grenade may not be fully seated or indexed properly. (EDIT) Rayman stuck the same thought in while I was typing this...Another good catch.

I first found out there was a difference in 2004 when the Russian version of the round - which was not supposed to even be in Iraq - bounced off my door and stuck in some HESCO. The EOD guys filled me in later and informed me that I was lucky it had hit only a glancing blow. The "pencil" is designed primarily to defeat body armor and light armor.

I am actually more interested in the RPG-7V2 the round is sticking out of. Note the position of the rear pistol grip. It attached to the optics rail like the RPG-7D series. Additionally, notice how the grip is attached to the center of the rail and not to the far right.

I wonder if he has a PGO-7V3 for the launcher on his left hip? Do you have any similar pics from Georgia?

Thanks for posting.

Mad.doc - did you get my emails / PMs?

·
Registered
236 Posts
OG-7

All:

I disagree with the suggestion that the OG-7 round was not seated all the way in the launcher in the pic. If you look at the pic of the round just below the pic, you'll note that the indexing screw that fits into the top notch of the RPG-7 tube is set back some distance from the fuze head. The typical OG-7 round is also much shorter (smooth bodies) and the ones I have have that indexing screw just South of the fuze head. I think that those newer models are designed with more charge and material to create a bigger amount of schrapnel (sp?). Hence, a longer metal tube with the ribbing to fragment would appear to be the case here. But, I stand to be corrected by my esteemed colleagues if there's a better more sound explanation. :neutral:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Bump

Mad.Doc is spot on.

I just finished shredding my files and his observations regarding the location of the indexing notch and extended body of the OG-7V (and about 10 other Frag grenades) are spot on.

The Pencil has almost 150 more grams (.33lbs) of RDX (than a standard OG-7) - for a total of 360 grams (.79lbs) - crammed into its explosive sleeve.

Similar picture from 2004 (although with a Bulgarian OG-7VM3):

Note the same extended position from the muzzle end a late model RPG-7V (I forget were the picture was taken and am to tired to look just now.)

Kudos Ben....

S/F
Nick

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Holy crap - I think we're all tracking on the same speed tonight. I was also digging around through files and the internet and realized the same thing regarding the OG-7V:

(excerpt from Janes)

Good call, Mad doc. When Sturm first mentioned it appeared a bit larger and without having a decent monitor, I was initially thinking OFG-7V as in the photo here:

But it's clearer now. Great information coming down now. It's good to get the juices flowing.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts