AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really want to put one in my driveway. I always get asked "what are you going to do with one of those? I've always been a off-road guy and I currently have a built K5 Blazer that I love, but I'd trade it in a heartbeat for a 6x6, that's my dream machine. I have looked at a couple that were for sale and I have talked to some owners of them and I'm very interested in getting one. Whats your experience with them, and what should I look for when buying one. Please post pics if you have one, heck, post a pic even if it's not yours.

Here is a shot of an older one that is displayed during holiday weekends.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Parts are easy to get, there's zillions of folks that worked on them and many more that drove them, so the knowledge base about all of it is healthy. They are a pretty strong truck, as you can imagine.

Logistics cost is the only real problem. The parts aren't cheap. Doing a brake job is not like doing one on your Blazer. While finding the parts is easy, paying for them can be painful. Tires aren't cheap. Tools aren't cheap, and they are heavy. So think about just how much support equipment you will need for a truck that heavy. They aren't bad on special tools or anything, but a Walmart floor jack isn't going to cut it. An oil change is measured in gallons. So, they are relativley easy because you don't have to search for anything, but it's still a heavy-duty truck and it will have heavy-duty logistics cost.

If you're going to off-raod it, go with some better tires than the old WWII tread they had on many of them. The late military tires, and there are kits to convert it, have much better traction in loose stuff. Also if you're going to off-road it, think about getting one with the winch in front. If you get stuck, it's going to be tough for anything smaller to help you out.

They didn't have power steering, maybe the last variation did, I'm not sure. Either way you can get a kit for that if it doesn't, and it's going to be worth it.

If you're not into collecting, there are several people that offer shortened versions with a single rear axle. Do a goodle search and check them out. For an off-road rig, they are pretty slick.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The M35A2 is the one I'd like to get, with the multi-fuel engine. Although any of these trucks would be overkill for what I would use it for, it is more of a "want" than a "need". When I was driving my Blazer I only would put 3000 miles on it in a year, so the 6x6 would most likely see less. I wasn't sure about maintenance costs for one of the military trucks, I figured I would have to get one with good tires, I like the NDT tires but I can see the drawbacks of them. As long as the truck was in good mechanical condition I shouldn't have to do any work to it for a long time other than the usual up-keep. I hope :)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
If you're not into collecting, there are several people that offer shortened versions with a single rear axle. Do a goodle search and check them out. For an off-road rig, they are pretty slick.
Bobbed deuce and a halfs are pretty sweet! Usually the conversion includes not only removing the second rear axle, but using a trailer bed as a replacement for the long bed. It's be the way I'd go if I were building such a rig...

deuce.jpg

·
Registered
193 Posts
We have some M35A3's that are nice. The caterpillar engines run smooth and they're comfortable for what they are. My favorite of all the trucks we have. My least favorite is the M911's. Cab wasn't built with anyone taller than 5'5" in mind. Also their Detroit diesels are loud and slow. We also have a M1165, M1085, quiet a few M900 series, etc. All have their uses. If you want one, check out gov't liquidation and buy one! Oh, almost forgot about our tank! :cool:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't checked out gov't liquidation yet, I usally look at easternsurplus.net, they are located in PA. Depending on shipping costs, I would like to drive it home and not have it shipped. I guess having it shipped would keep unnecessary miles off of it, and buying fuel might come close to the price to ship it. I wish I had access to those trucks like you JestersRevenge, I am jealous. And a TANK too....ugh!

·
Registered
193 Posts
It's just a M60A1 AVLB. Nothing special. Pretty quick though! We also have two M656 trucks and you can't get one of those things stuck even if you tried.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, Cool stuff. I checked out govt. liq. also. They have a few M53A2 trucks listed, the bids are aound 3k, I am curious to see what they sell for.

·
Registered
450 Posts
We have had a M135 since I was about 5...dad would pick me up from school in it *Great times*
Then my dad put in a joke bid in a local auction for '66 Air Force Firetruck based on the M35 (530B)
And most recently this summer he got himself a M923 5ton. It is a brute!! He is thinking of getting rid of her because of the fear of ever getting a flat!!
We have various other M series vehicles aswell.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Everytime I head up to northeastern PA I see a ton of trucks like these. I'll definitely snap some pics later this month when I am up there.

·
Registered
972 Posts
During the late 1990s and into early 2000, I was into MVs. Had a nice (uncut) M151A2 and M35A2 2 & 1/2 ton dropside. I liked that bed because of being able to drop or remove the sides/tailgate. Regarding the Deuce, I initially got a shop van in which the motor had recently been rebuilt before being carted off to Operation Desert Storm/Shield from Germany. It was surplussed out of the DRMO in Barstow and I bought it from a friend. Not long after, my friend whom hustled mil-spec stuff for a living, found three really nice drop-sides at Pendleton.
All were sweet with less than 10,000 miles, but the motors & trannys had been removed. However, the price was right so I bought one and had the motor, etc. transplanted from the shop van. The truck was a real nice runner when done. I sold off the van carcass & box to two other guys. Ended up putting a winch on the completed D.S. as well. Finally sold it off for 5K for two main reasons.
First, I had to park it at a friend's place who had a 2.5 acre lot. Second is @ about 8-10 MPG, it is not a economical vehicle to run about in, yet the worst thing one can do is let these vehicles sit for long periods without use. Brakes lock up, the hydrovac can go bad, leaking fuel injectors, etc. I recall when my friend got the shop van he had me drive ahead of him in my first Deuce (a "gasser") 75 miles back thru the Mojave desert because he had no brakes. He figured if he had to stop in an emergency better to ram me than some poor motorist. Fortunately he only had to make a short stop once, and used the emergency brake prior to moving off the road & onto the dirt shoulder. Next day he got in the van & discovered the brakes now worked just fine!

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Everytime I head up to northeastern PA I see a ton of trucks like these. I'll definitely snap some pics later this month when I am up there.
Thanks, We went to Delaware this summer and on the way back I stopped and looked at two 6x6 trucks for sale along the road. I didn't get any pictures though. One of them had the central inflation system for the tires, I've heard that it was prone to leaks and usually disconnected.

This is what I want , M35A2.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Thanks, We went to Delaware this summer and on the way back I stopped and looked at two 6x6 trucks for sale along the road. I didn't get any pictures though. One of them had the central inflation system for the tires, I've heard that it was prone to leaks and usually disconnected.

This is what I want , M35A2.
Yeah it doesn't get much cooler than that :beer:

I think my holy grail of this stuff would be a WWII Willys MB jeep

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
"I think my holy grail of this stuff would be a WWII Willys MB jeep"

Jeeps are fun, we have an 08 Wrangler that we take to events through out the year. We have a great time even though our jeep isn't anything special, it's kind of the ticket to get in, You really feel like you're a part of something big. A Willys MB would be awesome and there is a big aftermarket for the old jeeps, and parts are readily available. The MV guys at the shows usually have an "encampment" section of the shows where it is nothing but WWII era vehicles, equipment, tents and even 40's music playing. The Bantam Jeep heritage festival in Buter, PA keeps getting bigger every year, it's really something to see.

·
Registered
345 Posts
When we bought her, she was fresh from a repaint and overhaul. It's all original. I need some bows and a tarp. She has locking hubs on the front axle and will be getting a winch and hardtop as soon as I decide to stop building AK's.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When we bought her, she was fresh from a repaint and overhaul. It's all original. I need some bows and a tarp. She has locking hubs on the front axle and will be getting a winch and hardtop as soon as I decide to stop building AK's.
Man, it looks nice. I'll bet the lock-out hubs are a great improvement. They are pricey but I'm sure they are worth it. Military Vehichle Magazine has adds for the stuff you need. And I know all about blowing money on AK's. lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts