AK Rifles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how it would compare to a 6.5 Grendel in terms of accuracy at long ranges (>500 yds).

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Accuracy has nothing to do with the Caliber. They are both obviously 6.5 cartridges. The 6.5 bullets have a better ballistic coeffeicient, and usually, better secional density, than other standard caliber bullets up to .30 caliber.

This translates to better wind resistance and trajectory for the same case capacity in similar cartridges.

Accuracy itself is going to have to do with your specific rifle and the loads it prefers.

Having said the above, trajectory is not going to be that much different between the two out to 500 yards.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chinook said:
Accuracy has nothing to do with the Caliber. They are both obviously 6.5 cartridges. The 6.5 bullets have a better ballistic coeffeicient, and usually, better secional density, than other standard caliber bullets up to .30 caliber.

This translates to better wind resistance and trajectory for the same case capacity in similar cartridges.

Accuracy itself is going to have to do with your specific rifle and the loads it prefers.

Having said the above, trajectory is not going to be that much different between the two out to 500 yards.
I have to disagree with you there bro. Accuracy has plenty to do with the cartridge. Yes they are both 6.5mm rounds but one is a necked down .308 case and the other is based on the 45mm length case. If what you said was true then a 30-06 would be just as accurate as a .308 and everyone and their dead grandmother knows that is not the case. I hope Im reading what you said correctly.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
While case design does have an impact on INHERENT accuracy, ultimately it has more to do with the rifle (barrel), and the quality of the loads.

What is your intended purpose of the rifle?

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chinook said:
While case design does have an impact on INHERENT accuracy, ultimately it has more to do with the rifle (barrel), and the quality of the loads.

What is your intended purpose of the rifle?
The intended purpose is have fun.

What I was referring to was indeed the inherent accuracy of the cartridge. Im trying to decide my next rifle purchase. Im torn between getting a 6.5 grendel from Alexander Arms, or a DPMS LR .308. My thinking was that I could get the DPMS and later if I wanted the extreme long range capability of the 6.5 Grendel, I could just buy another upper for the DPMS in .260 Remington. Trying to get the best of both worlds with a single AR-10 lower.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If what you said was true then a 30-06 would be just as accurate as a .308 and everyone and their dead grandmother knows that is not the case.
Respectfully, thirdeye, I'll have to disagree with you on this one point: my '06 has outshot a good many .308s on the UKD range. Case design is important, but it is not everything. The '06 can more than hold its own against any similar weight .308 bullet out to 1000 yds. This is experience, not wishful thinking.

The "best of both worlds" is a great quest! I look forward to hearing your decision! :dance:

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grim Reaper said:
If what you said was true then a 30-06 would be just as accurate as a .308 and everyone and their dead grandmother knows that is not the case.
Respectfully, thirdeye, I'll have to disagree with you on this one point: my '06 has outshot a good many .308s on the UKD range. Case design is important, but it is not everything. The '06 can more than hold its own against any similar weight .308 bullet out to 1000 yds. This is experience, not wishful thinking.

The "best of both worlds" is a great quest! I look forward to hearing your decision! :dance:
Well you may have yourself quite the accurate '06 there and there are always exceptions to the rule. But I would be willing to bet dollars to cents that there exists many .308's out there that will shoot the pants off of your '06.

Come on guy, you know as well as I that it is common knowledge that the .308 is an inherently more accurate cartridge than the '06. Why would so many bench rest shooters have gone over to the .308 when it first came onto the scene?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I can't answer for the benchrest shooters: I have never done it. I do know that out of 20 shooters in a long-range sniping shootout at the end of class my '06 came in #4, due mainly to my not aiming low on an extreme-angle shot. Had I not done that it would have been #3, #2, or maybe even #1. But I did screw up the shot: my fault, not the rifle's or the cartridge's. This was among military and law enforcement snipers, most of who were shooting .308s. Just because it's a .308 doesn't make it better.
Most people I have talked to seem to like the .308 because it has (to them) less perceived recoil. Even one of my sniping instructors remarked about it to me on the UKD range during an exercise one day. Maybe it does; I have never really noticed. Federal Gold Medal 168gr for the '06 moves out 100 fps faster and gives me a bit more velocity out of my 26" barrel. When your world shrinks down to the circle inside your scope during a hostage-rescue shot you don't really notice recoil ... but you do notice when you put a round in the bad guy's tear duct at 135 yds (which I did).
My point is this: either cartridge will do the job out to 1000 yds, and do it well. The .308 is a great cartridge, but my past experiences (and no doubt more than a few Camp Perry '06 shooters will agree) shooting against .308s have not shown the .308 to be inherently a better round given equal rifle setups. The '06 hasn't been around for 102 years for no reason.
I'm kinda curious to see which cartridge you decide to go with on your AR-10: I've had somewhat the same question in my mind of late and look forward to hearing your thoughts concerning the 260 & the 6.5.

·
Registered
4,616 Posts
thirdeye said:
Grim Reaper said:

Well you may have yourself quite the accurate '06 there and there are always exceptions to the rule. But I would be willing to bet dollars to cents that there exists many .308's out there that will shoot the pants off of your '06.

Come on guy, you know as well as I that it is common knowledge that the .308 is an inherently more accurate cartridge than the '06. Why would so many bench rest shooters have gone over to the .308 when it first came onto the scene?
I am a fairly competent shooter and a good reloader.....

Many of the differences you see are perceived based on whats commercially available ammo wise and what shooters demand.

A 30-06 and a 308 start out equal. Same bullet availability. Factory 30-06 ammo may never compete( I don't think GMM is made in 30-06?) but a reloader would have no issues.

They are literally discovering that many of these bullets have great BCs. I am convinced that its a bit of trial and error not "engineering" . 243 has always been a less than spectacular long range round but that is mostly due to the barrel twists they come with from the factory. Many shooters are picking up 243s for long range guns only with custom twist barrels for heavier bullets.

ETA:

It's the Indian, not the Arrow!!!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Good handloads in the right '06 will shoot just as good as any .308... We have a 700 bdl in 30-06 that will shoot less than 1/2 MOA ALL DAY LONG. My best friend is a SWAT sniper and instructor (ex-force recon/scout sniper) and I shoot with him regularly. He has an exact replica of his M40 Marine Corp rifle (even has his original MC issue stock) that shoots awesome. He has a 700 bdl left handed model that shoots just as accurately as our 06 and his M40... He'd be the 1st one to tell you that... He's a regular and a vendor on the snipershide forum...

Just my worthless .02 from experience :neutral:

Now with regards to the OP, I would go with the 260 rem just because of ammo availability (assuming I was dead set against the 308 LR for some reason). I'd prefer the 308 because you can get it anywhere in the world. You never know when you may get caught in a long range firefight in Instanbul or some other 3rd world armpit... :wink:

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's the Indian, not the Arrow!!!
Well said. The soldier is the weapon: all else is accessory.

( I don't think GMM is made in 30-06?)
Federal Gold Medal .30-06 product code is GM3006M, 168gr Sierra Matchking BTHP bullet. It's the only round I shoot in my rifle; I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Grim Reaper said:
168gr Sierra Matchking BTHP bullet. It's the only round I shoot in my rifle; I highly recommend it.
Just finished loading a batch of these for my Browning A-bolt '06. Got 52-57 grains of IMR 4350 sitting behind it. The 56, 57 grainers are slightly compressed. Should be accurate little fuckers. Cant wait to test em out.

Also going to try out Speer's 168g HPBT which has a secant ogive. Also using IMR 4350.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I love it when you talk that way ... :twisted:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts