AK Rifles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Messing around with some field phones and am curious if I can use these around the house or if these need to be hooked into some form of switchboard

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I wired up some Swedish field phones; you can receive calls, but the dial that comes with the phones won't work on our phone system.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I had used a field phone many times in the past to make collect calls home from the field. We would find a phone trunk on the topo map do a recon find the box open it find an open line hook it up and crank it the operator would come on and you just tell them what you want. credit or collect its all push to talk from there.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Been a while since I played Commo chief,but if I remember correctly as long as you have another one you can talk directly to it.
I have a set of TA 312's and a SB22 set up and the kids love playing with them.

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
I am/was a 25C/31C, and while it was not my job, I did cross train enough to be dangerous.

I have only ever seen them hooked into a switchboard.

IIRC, the switchboard is what provides the "power".

The TA312s were still kept at the same time for direct. Remember that the 312s have batteries (Ds if IIRC)

The 954s were used with switchboards to be a phone network for a BN HQ.

Its been 13+ years (and we never used them even then) since I have messes with them, so I could be wrong or confusing them with another similar type of field phone.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've read the model just before could be used as a simple field phone with a similar phone for sure. Read conflicting info on the 954. One guy said you need 4-wire and have to supply power. Another said he "didn't think" it could be done but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I am/was a 25C/31C, and while it was not my job, I did cross train enough to be dangerous.

I have only ever seen them hooked into a switchboard.

IIRC, the switchboard is what provides the "power".

The TA312s were still kept at the same time for direct. Remember that the 312s have batteries (Ds if IIRC)

The 954s were used with switchboards to be a phone network for a BN HQ.

Its been 13+ years (and we never used them even then) since I have messes with them, so I could be wrong or confusing them with another similar type of field phone.
Yup I was a 31v,31u,31k,31c,31w-pretty much the whole 31 series.:coffee:
But I got my phones mixed up.
If you google ta954 conversions you may find some neat ones.Ive seen some that were converted to regular house hold land lines so that in itself tells me that it should be possible to do it from one phone to another providing you have an external power source.
I also read somewhere that someone was working on a Bluetooth conversion for one.

Now I have to go through my junk and see if I have a couple kicking around-sounds like a fun project :)

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The conversion to hook into a phone line involved gutting them, throwing everything inside away and adding off the shelf phone parts. May end up having to do similar if I can't find a way to make these talk to each other

·
Registered
10,182 Posts
I've read the model just before could be used as a simple field phone with a similar phone for sure. Read conflicting info on the 954. One guy said you need 4-wire and have to supply power. Another said he "didn't think" it could be done but wasn't sure.
Its been awhile, but I do seem to recall that we had two and four wire reels.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The conversion to hook into a phone line involved gutting them, throwing everything inside away and adding off the shelf phone parts. May end up having to do similar if I can't find a way to make these talk to each other
For my field pone I just stripped the phone cord wires and hooked up the appropriate set to my field phone wire polls. For dialing out you would need some kind of dialing mechanism, but for receiving you just picked up and held in the talk button. For mute you release the talk button.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts