AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to Troy Sellars of In Range about this..........we shared thoughts, notes, etc.....

Could probably use:

- Centerfire Systems M70 kit
- NoDAK / DCI Yugo Receiver (bulged trunnion)
- Romanian RPK or Bulgarian RPK 23.7 inch barrel
- US Yugo Grip
- Scope
- Redesigned Global "SVD" Flash Hider

The Tabuk Sniper Rifle is made from a modified Kalashnikov (AK-47 and AK-74) rifle adding a telescopic sight, a skeletonized rear stock with a cheek piece. It's barrel is longer than the standard (non-paratrooper) AK whose nominal length is 415 mm / 16.3 inches. It uses the same magazines as the AK-47 as it is also chambered in 7.62x39mm, taking good advantage of cheap and plentiful ammunition for this round.

After incidents in Baghdad in the Summer of 2005 Initial media descriptions of the Tabuk Rifle were misspelled in many media reports as "Tobuk" or "Tobok". Tabook/Tabouk (the latter two spellings are more correct transliterations of the Arabic تبوك ) is a common place name in the Arab world, as it was the site of an historically significant battle during the lifetime of the Muslim Prophet Mohammed. The most common association is probably the capitol city of the Saudi province of the same name (Saudi Arabia maps county detail provinces)

In many of these reports, the Tabuk Rifle is described incorrectly as being based on the SVD Dragunov. Unlike the Kalashnikov (AK-47 and AK-74) rifles, which fire 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm rounds respectively, the SVD Dragunov and its variants chamber the older 7.62 x 54 mm R cartridge, adopted by the Russian Army in 1891 by way of the Mosin-Nagant 1891 rifle that, in various forms, was used through the end of WWII and beyond.

This would be an easy mistake to make, as the furniture of the Tabuk looks much like the Dragunov and has a longer barrel like that of the latter rifle's 620 mm/24.4 inches.

A much more important point to make is that in most of the world's armies this would not be called a Sniper rifle per se, but a Designated Marksman's weapon. Different countries and different branches of military service within those countries all have slightly differing terminology for these roles, and differing distances that are covered by them. In armies that use a relatively modern assault rifle (AR-15, AK-74, G3 et al) the average infantryman is trained for striking targets out to 200-300 meters. A sniper is typically trained to dispatch targets farther than 500-600 meters, and is generally not assigned typical infantry duties. This leaves a significant gap between the roles, which is filled by (what is called by the US, Canadian and UK forces) the Designated Marksman. (note that the details of weapons used and distances mentioned in he latter wiki article differ significantly from the NATO designations) A Designated Marksman is generally part of a conventional infantry unit and fills the gap between a typical infantryman and the Sniper.

It should be noted that the equipment and distances employed by the military Designated Marksman overlap that of the (civilian) Law Enforcement (Police) "Sniper". Other than target distance, the main differences between the military and civilian sniper/marksman/sharpshooter are that the civilian rifleman typically has less concern about concealment from persons other than the target(s); the second is the concern about over penetration dictates not only which chamberings are appropriate (e.g a police sniper would typically not use a 300 Winchester Magnum, and would have no use at all for a .338 Laupa Magnum) but even bullet selection. The civilian police marksman is typically less concerned about penetration of body armor, but more often concerned about round performance through glass, often tempered or automotive safety glass.

Juba, the nickname for an alleged sniper shooting American soldiers in Baghdad, is thought to use the Tabuk Sniper Rifle.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
There was a company that made a replica of the PSL but in 7.62x39mm. One of those would look like a Tabuk if you switched out the furniture on it...

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tabuk is based on the Yugo design. It uses the bulged trunnion, and "3-Vent" front handguards.

Remember, it's not based on the Dragunov design or PSL/FPK which are 7.62x54r weapons.

The handguards would probably come from a Yugo M70 kit.....the buttstock would probably come from an M76, and would require "skeletonizing" to make it look right.....

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
I know it isn't based on the PSL, but I was commenting that the 7.62x39mm PSL Copy looked like the Tabuk as far as the barrel, flash hider, etc. It would be a decent clone if it had the Yugo wood and grip, but you are right, the trunion would not be the same.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I thought from what I have read in the AK collectors book, the Tabuk was an exact copy of the Yugo M70?

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree somewhat....it utilizes the front handguard system of an M70, but has the longer barrel. Also utilizes a uniquely styled buttstock. Look at the pics and you will see the RPK uses the "2-Vent" handguards...The Tabuk uses the "3-Vent" style.

I think we could utilize the RPK kits available from Centerfire....but have the fins turned down. The buttstock I'm not sure about. I need a few more pics to be sure. The buttstock could be skeletonized the same way as the original Tabuk....

Yugo M-70

Yugo M-76

Yugo M-77

Yugo M-77 RPK

Yugo RPK

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Have you got the AK Colectors book? I will look tonight when I get home in mine.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I'm just going by the actual Tabuk pics from captured Iraqi weapons, and the pics available on the Zastava website.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
OK...O saw some pics they said were tabuks and they weren't even close. I will try and scan one from the book tonight and get it on here.

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
OK...here is a page from the Kalashnikov Collectors book on the Iraqi Tabuk....

There are 4 types:
Fixed stock rifle (infantry)
Russian type underfolder (airborne)
Special Forces underfolder/short barrel (as pictured)
Tabuk Sniper mid-range AKM 23.6" bbl 7.62x39
Al-Kadisa, long-range copy of SVD 7.62x54

Hope this helps!!

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great info!!!

I believe we are talking about the Tabuk Sniper mid-range AKM 23.6" barrel in 7.62x39

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
yep.........I din't remember there being that many different kinds.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Is anyone making the wood skeletonized buttstock?

·
Super Moderator
9,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Rhino_66 said:
The buttstock looks more like the standard fixed M70 piece that has been skeletonized.
Agree.

The skeletonizing would have to be done as custom work....

·
Registered
321 Posts
The buttstock would be a pretty straight forward project. Anyone with moderate woodworking skills could do a reasonable mod to an existing piece.

For the barrel, an Enfield take off could be used. There is a company that is selling a conversion for the Enfield to use 7.62x39 and single stack AK magazines in the No. 4 rifles. They turn the Enfield barrel down by cutting off part of the breech end. This shortens the chamber to fit 7.62x39 cases pretty well. If you look up the case dimensions of .303 and 7.62x39, you will see they are very similar in dimension around the neck and taper of the case.

I mic'd the section of the Yugo barrel where the gas block lives. The Yugo is larger than standard AK gas block (0.630"). The Enfield barrel measures 0.670" at the position for the gas block, so it can be turned to fit.

By shortening the barrel to the appropriate length the front sight could be used. The Enfield barrel would need slight turning to accept the FSB, but it would fit perfectly.

Estimating the length of the barrel by comparing it to the length of the receiver gives an approximate measure of 21" from breech to muzzle. Even a pretty worn out Enfield barrel could probably be used, as about 3.5" will be cut from the front. This should take care of any worn rifling, and leave something to work with. EDITED TO ADD: I just reread one of the earlier posts with the barrel length listed at 23.6". This should still be do-able.

As soon as Global gets them back in stock, the Drag style muzzle brake (A-117 about 1/3 down on the pics) would be a good copy of what's on the rifle in this pic.

http://www.globaltrades.com/ak_muzzl_1.html

It just so happens I have an Enfield that will be giving up it's barrel soon. The receiver is going to be used for a DeLisle clone (non-silenced unfortunately). The Enfield barrel was just going to go into the parts bin, but a Tabuk clone might actually be a good use for it.

Just need to find a source for the cheek pad, or good enough pictures to make one.

Replace the rear sight with a RPK piece.

An SKS cleaning rod should be about the right length to add the finishing touch.

Centerfire has the cheapo Romanian PSO-1 scope copies and mounting rails.

This should drop the price considerably from using the RPK kit to using a standard M70 kit with trashed barrel. Trash Enfields can be bought with damaged receivers and usable barrels from Centerfire and Century. Even fair surplus Ishy Enfields would be a good source. Barrels are also available from Marstar (since they're not banned).

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
How about calling century and having the m70 barrels made to length and buying up a bunch of shit kits with decent wood. Don't know if it would be that hard for them to rework for the length or not. Get a group buy going and maybe have a run of 100 or so barrels made up.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
xcibes said:
I am considering gold plating my yugo underoflder to make it look like one of Saddam's golden gns, I can't just let Mr. krink be the only one with a golden AK :grin:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:dance: :dance: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :dance: :dance:

1 - 20 of 162 Posts