AK Rifles banner

Anyone built a 4.5 side folder on a recreator?

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Commander Marnie 
#1 ·
I need to know what trunnion works best out of the box for a recreator blanks 4.5 side folder receiver
-as the Bulgarian trunnion I got from :soviet stocks" is not going to work with it.
Even if I file the bottom to fit, the holes are not aligned vertically.
If I line the holes of the trunnion up perfectly on the outside of the receiver I can see that the slot for the receiver fold will be too high.
Thanks in advance

#2 ·
May or may not help you, but
My original arsenal (bulgarian) side folder 4.5 trunnion fits my recreator 80%, spot on.
as does my nos russian.
My supposedly "polish" 4.5 side folder trunnion from CSS, wont fit any receiver I own. Will not even slide in enough to see if things line up. Massively out of spec.
I am of the opinion that much of the currently available side folder trunnions, are not actually 'imported' nor are they to spec. Only advertised as such. Multiple vendors all selling exactly the same thing, same pics, yet listing differing countries of origin...
I'd check your trunnion measurements against known milsurp sources/blueprints...I'd lay money its the trunnion thats out of wack and you'll need to locate an original to make it work with the rec.

#6 · (Edited)
Here's where it stands now and I'm not sure if its okay or not. I got the damn thing fitted and aligned, but in the last picture, you can see just how far down I had to drift the slots. Its a decent amount of space, but the bolt carrier doesn't have an issue traveling as far back as possible. Thoughts?
Crosscut saw Wood Hood Tool Bumper

Wood Gas Auto part Metal Door

Wood Bumper Gas Automotive tire Machine

#7 ·
Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Font Gas

Here it is explained better. What I call the slot here, is now a hair over 1mm wider, and widened downward so that the holes could shift upward and line up.
The gap visible between the receiver and the trunnion ear is now basically bigger by the same thickness as the receiver itself. When I see pics of receiver stubs, the trunnions look like they set right on the receiver flush. Like they didn't need any smithing whatsoever.
These were advertised as 4.5mm bulgarian trunnions from sovietstocks

#8 ·
The SovietStocks Bulgy folder is a Magnolia International product. It has different specs than standard Bulgys. AKBuilder has a triangle side-folding stock set made in Taiwan to the standard Bulgy specs and works with the Recreator receivers. A bit late to note since you already have the Recreator but Childers has a separate drop down option for the Magnolia trunnion..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.