AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was debating on these for I while and finally ordered a few. Here is a quick review for those that may be interested in them. They arrived timely and well packed. I'm just getting a chance to go through them now.

First a link,
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/102103873

They have side folders and PM 65 under folders with "normal" AKM style handguards and forward facing dongs only.

A little dirt, gunk and rust here and there but nothing bad. No trench art. No broken or missing parts. All of mine came with a sling and cleaning rod that wasn't advertised, also everything that has a number matches.

Here is what they look like on average, a little rust on the folder and couple dents in the top cover. Not bad for the money.

I'm cleaning up the slings and they look very usable especially for a bfpu build. I don't have any before pics but will try to remember to post after pics of the slings.

If anyone has questions about the kits please ask.

I'm not up on everything Romanian and plan to do some digging in our Romanian forum. Were these export use only? Who was the main user of them?

Link to article or info?

·
Technical Advisor
15,447 Posts
I believe the PM Md90 with the pushbutton, left offset sidefolders were for domestic Romanian military.

Though over time I think they exported and produced both types as they transition into more NATO ready arms.

The receiver selector markings would reveal more but they are not present in the kits

There have been a lot of the Md90 kits dated 91 and 92 lately. They often show light use.

Previously there were a number of early dated well used Romanian kit imports. 1960"s and 70's dated trunnions., in Md63 or 65.

Nice looking kits you received.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Good looking kit. Bet it will be a good shooter.

These would go nicely with those Nodak spud and Mckinney receivers I bought on close out years ago.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Apex has those kits for lightly more, advertised as "Good" condition.
PM Md.90 was mostly intended for domestic use. Of course if some of them ended up in former Yugoslavia that's a different story.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I like the virgin PM 63 kits from m+m industries sold by center fire. They are virgin kits imported directly from Cugir.

I used one and had a builder build the ak pictured below.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I received mine yesterday from Apex. Dated 1992. Little pitting on the folding stock. Battle pick up style.
I wish I knew about the Midway deal, save me a couple of bucks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I also ordered a Midway PM 90 kit a month ago (darn I paid about $20 more for it).. the new price is amazing.

the kit I received was in rougher shape than other kits that I have, but I don't have much experience in kits. the Midway kit is all matching #s dated 1992. I got the one without a Dong, and its wood is a bit rough, but I was going for a bfpu look anyway. Overall the kit looks nice, was cheaper than Apex, and was all matching #s. I think it will turn into a fantastic looking gun..

Babalu - your gun is exactly how I pictured what I wanted, how hard was the cheese grader to put on? how is the wire stock? what are your over all impressions on it? Did you build it or did someone else? Your gun looks fantastic btw.

I could find almost nothing about Mod 90 guns. All I could find was on the short barreled version. They look very cool, with parts kits drying up, I think this is a steal of a kit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes I built it. ReCreators receiver, virgin Romy barrel from M&M. I went off a 1992 MD90 rifle in one of Stottmans AK reference books. Used S A R selector marks from Weaponmark. Parkerized the receiver, cold blued it, then gave it a worn look with scotch brite pads and fine steel wool to match the other components. Cheese grater was easy, had to just slightly squeeze it in a vise to get it to fit. Also added an optic rail on the receiver. Prefer a wood stock for shooting, but didn’t have a sidefolder so I bought the kit. Still looking at some options to add a little cheek weld or padding to it. Kind of cold on the cheek at 15*.
i was fortunate to catch a free shipping code when I ordered it for $279.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Babalu - nicely done! I keep thinking I want to build out a kit myself, but worried I wouldn't do a very good job of it.

The other option is to buy this from Arms of America.

https://www.armsofamerica.com/romanianmilitarymodel1975akm47partskitnobarrel.aspx

Its more expensive, fixed stock. I purchased one of these kits, and already sent it off to Two River Arms to be built.

The kit from midway is very interesting... cheaper than almost any other nice AKM parts kit that I know of.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Yes I built it. ReCreators receiver, virgin Romy barrel from M&M. I went off a 1992 MD90 rifle in one of Stottmans AK reference books. Used S A R selector marks from Weaponmark. Parkerized the receiver, cold blued it, then gave it a worn look with scotch brite pads and fine steel wool to match the other components. Cheese grater was easy, had to just slightly squeeze it in a vise to get it to fit. Also added an optic rail on the receiver. Prefer a wood stock for shooting, but didn’t have a sidefolder so I bought the kit. Still looking at some options to add a little cheek weld or padding to it. Kind of cold on the cheek at 15*.
i was fortunate to catch a free shipping code when I ordered it for $279.
I like the cold blue. Did you leave all the other parts, (RSB, GB, trunnion, FSB), painted as found in the kit? I rust blued then cold blued a couple of barrels and they got pretty dark. THinking about doing one Romy like that instead of painting the receiver.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Thanks for posting this JeepFan. I ordered one today from Midway. Suppose to arrive on the 13th.

Reactions: JeepFan

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I received my Model 90 kit yesterday from Midway. I got it earlier than Midway told me. It is numbers matching and dated 1992. But there is rust on most of the metal parts. It is like it was not cleaned in awhile before being cut up. The forward grip and sling have mold on them. I don't know how well the rust will clean up. I wiped some off with my finger but it is pitted. Really disappointed. My Russian kit does not have rust like this.

IMG_5432.jpg

IMG_5434.jpg

IMG_5435.jpg

IMG_5437.jpg

IMG_5438.jpg

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I guess I was a bit luckier than you with my Apex kit. They should all be from the same batch I assume.
It does have rust, but not as bad.

I plan on soaking all metal pieces in diesel for 24-48 hrs and try to clean them as much as possible.
Before I get to that point I'll just apply a thin layer of grease on them and hope one day soon I'll get to cleaning everything out nicely.

IMG_20200111_162944869.jpg IMG_20200111_162924232.jpg IMG_20200111_162913363.jpg IMG_20200111_162839099.jpg IMG_20200111_162002540.jpg

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
You can see the upper handguard cracked as expected in the pictures above.
I took the leather sling off since that one had more rust than anything else so it can stay away from the folding stock.

IMG_20200111_161948922.jpg IMG_20200111_161915736.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_20200111_161908426.jpg IMG_20200111_161903039.jpg IMG_20200111_161846965.jpg

1 - 20 of 90 Posts