AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Most folks around here use 4000/5000, and that will do a few fans and a
fridge. Even heat some coffee in the microwave if you unplug the fans and are paitient :smile: Just make sure your gas tank is large enough to get a few hours use. And buy some spare engine oil to change for extended use.

Hondas are nice, but the "other" brands seem to be fine also, just not
as user friendly sometime. This storm shouldnt be too bad, but you may loose some power for a short while. I hope its not too long for you anyway.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
James,
I have a Speedway 1000 wat 2 stroke that I used a couple of weeks ago to keep my fridge, a fan and a light running during an outage. I also have a 5000 watt that I got from Harbor Freight for around $400 that runs my RV during hunting season. It powers lights, AC, fridge etc without a problem...

Terry

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
generater

i had a 5000 wat last year which ran the fridg, tv & a drop lite in the kitchen with no problem.I up graded to the norhtern tool 7000 wat , but haven't tried it yet , paid like $700.00 should be good to go with a few more things to run

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I have a 4500 watt genset from HF. Has a Subaru Robin motor which I really like. Supplies 110v as well as 220v for my shop. The three times we have needed it has performed great. I store it dry like it comes from the factory. So it is some work to put it back into storage. But that keeps it perfect for the next use.

Keep full jerry cans on hand though! Even used sparingly you'll go though 5 gallons a day keeping the fridge cold and lights on and your computer and other stuff up.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
I have a Coleman 5600 and it has plenty of power and paid around $650 for it. You should get the largest one you can afford. It is better to have too much than not enough.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
PhilRazz said:
sidecar, when you say store it dry, do you just run all the gas out of it?

I drain the tank and lines by disconnecting them and take off the carb bowl to dry it out also. Once dry, I put everything back together. That way no spoogy gas residue is left anywhere.
I take out the spark plug and squirt some CLP into the bore and then pull the start rope a few times to coat everything and then put the spark plug back in. Oil stays in the sump of course.
The genset get stored in my shop under a cover to keep dust/dirt out of it.

This way if I need it, I gas it up, open the petcocks, give it a couple pulls and it takes off running. No problems this way. It once sat two years. Started up with two pulls. Great little motor! Even my wife can easily pull start it.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Talking about the TS about to hit Houston in another post reminded me of something. It does not say where you are located but if you are located within the Houston area and are buying the generator for the potential storm--wait until a state of emergency is declared. After that FEMA will reinburse you up to 750 on the generator
---------------
But if this is not the case and you live somewhere else and you are thinking of pruchasing it for antoher reaseon totally disregard what I just said

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
With the Honda & probably the Robinair/Subaru powered genset are fairly quiet compared to my Generac w/ Tecumseh engine. My neighbors probably think I'm mixing cement...... Not for the stealthy...

A Briggs powered unit will also sound like a big roto-tiller on a rampage.

They all sound even louder when you're the only one making noise in your part of the world.

During outages, we've alternately run a fridge* or freezer, tv & microwave at once, & with the lights. Oh, a laptop mixed in there as well.

*keep 'em closed & you don't have to run them as often. No window shopping for the kids.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I've got a 5500 watt Generac and I keep gas in it all the time.
I don't "store" it because you never know when you'll need one.
My manual says to start it and utilize it by putting a load on it periodically.
Something about keeping the polarity.
I put that Stabil in it and 3 or 4 times a year plug in my shop air conditioner into it for a while to put a load it.
I change the oil every spring before tornado season.:eek:
I've had it since 1999 and it's still just like brand new.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Glock Holiday said:
I've got a 5500 watt Generac and I keep gas in it all the time.
I don't "store" it because you never know when you'll need one.
My manual says to start it and utilize it by putting a load on it periodically.
Something about keeping the polarity.
I put that Stabil in it and 3 or 4 times a year plug in my shop air conditioner into it for a while to put a load it.
I change the oil every spring before tornado season.:eek:
I've had it since 1999 and it's still just like brand new.

Have the same set up.
Do just about the same thing as you do as well!!!!

I will say that my 5500 will "cry" when the well kicks on,for a second,
but she takes it very well!!!!

MRI

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went with the Honda EN2500 for $595. -Bought the last one at Northern Tool, floor model, it was the last generator in the under $1600 price range.

Thought I was going to have to fight my way out of the store with it though. Guys were standing around in the generator isle waiting to be helped and I just went up and snagged the one on the rack. No worries though, Smith and Wesson 638 had my back.

Thanks to all for the info. This forum is my wartime consiglieri. :cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts