AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
Unless you have somewhere you can shoot out beyond 500 yards its no fun. I had a Boyes that was converted to fifty, of the six or seven years i owned it i only shot it once, plain and simple there was nowhere to shoot it for me. It was also a big piece and i like to lock all my shit up. If you really want one buy one, unless you live out by the plains you're never really going to be shooting it out to its capabilities. If i was to buy another it would be either for its collectibility or the novel of owning a 50 BMG. Thats my opinion of "fifties." McM

·
Registered
720 Posts
Yup, I've got two, an Ultralite 50 by Marcos Ruiz and a Serbu 50 by Mark Serbu. True, they are lots of fun to shoot at 500-600 yards. I'm stuck with my 100 yard range. Still good fun shooting bowling balls and steel plate. SafetyHarbor, Walter Keller, makes some fine rifles.

·
Super Moderator
9,409 Posts
I'm partial to the Serbu .50 Rifle with an M-60 bipod.

If I was to invest, that's how I would go....

·
Registered
720 Posts
That Serbu 50 is alot of rifle for the money. My best shooting was 5 shots at 600 yards, max spread of 6". That was the only time I shot the Serbu at long range. (AMAX reloads by my buddy Tim Tucker.)

·
Registered
716 Posts
serbu is definately on my list. btw, how much steel can it penetrate?

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Got one of the first 10 Safety Harbor Ultramag 50's. They are great weapons. Got over 1000 rounds thru mine and NO sign of stress on the AR lower. While it is not a 1000 yard match gun, it does what I want it to do.

Only problem I have with mine is getting it away from the wife and kids!

My solution is give them the 3 round mags and tell them when they finish their mag it is MY turn. I use the 5 rounders for MY turn. :grin: :twisted:

·
Registered
720 Posts
mn_nobody said:
serbu is definately on my list. btw, how much steel can it penetrate?
I'd say 1 1/4" with API in the 29" Serbu, mebbe a bit more.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
They are addictive! If people complain about $.20 a round AK ammo, wait till they have to pay $1.50 a shot!

They don't bump worth a damm either. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Robpiat, I can take out a man sized target at 1500 yards with it. 5 gallon bucket is not safe at 1000 yards. While it does not have 10 inch groups at 1000 it gets the job done if the shooter does his part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts