AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a job tip that K.B.R needs Welders in the middle east and the pay is off the charts I GoogleD and Wiki-ed K.B.R but nothing about any negatives, other than the fact that they have "Lost" just under 100 civilian contractors in Iraq since the beginning of the war to date.

Can anyone shed a little light on this for me.

Thanks in advice.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
ever see the doc. iraq for sale? they had some pretty negative stuff to say. however i think most of the issues was from the perspective of the truckers. And that was several years ago during the worst of the uprising. Technicallyi think your safer in bagdad then you are in Chicago. As long as your on post and not traveling around alot im sure is safer than driving to work around here everyday.

besides you could bring back cool shit like bakelite mags and such.

all jmho :grin:

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
well i dont know about KBR,. but i have heard about a few other companys that the workers where pretty happy with.

i'll see if i can send you the list i have,.after i get home from this deployment i am thinking about/looking to hang up my spur's and get a civi contracting job some where on this side of the world

personally i would look for jobs in Kuwait.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I saw the movie too. THe guy who gave me a tip just got back a week ago from a 2 year contract he was a truck driver and said he saw some crazy stuff rpg attacks in the hight of the fighting. but felt safe more or less the whole time.

He said the pay is unbeatable and is sitting on a pile of cash right now.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Before taking the job, ask about details such as where you'll be based and whether it is a static on base job or not.

If you stay on any major FOB like TQ, al Asad, the camps in BIAP, you'll be safe.

I honestly don't know how the non military contractors get around, but I've heard they fly everywhere they go. I think that is a lot safer, but then there is that joke about helicopters. If you need to weld something somewhere across the country, they'll most likely fly you out there.

I dealt with KBR damn near everyday there. When you are in Iraq, it is hard not to. KBR runs Iraq.

There are American drivers on convoys with uparmored semis and then there are the sub sub contractors of KBR who drive around these cheap ass shit, poorly maintained, always breaking down trucks with drivers from all over the world (except 1st world countries). There were Croatians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Turks, Indians, Filipinos, Africans, etc. etc. We called them TCNs (third country nationals). They drive like shit and are good mine and IED sweepers.

The KBR people who ran the truck lot were fuckin big time mouth breathers. I hated every second of the thought that they made good money over there. They always fucked up. Got the truck count wrong, the license numbers wrong, the stick orders wrong, they don't get on top of the TCNs about their non road worthy trucks (that was our job), and on and on.

Anyway, service type contractors got a real cushy gig in the ME. The guys that fixed the Blue Force Trackers, the ECM devices, the Honeywell dudes, etc.

If you can get a guarantee that you'll stay on a base somewhere just doing your job and nothing out of the ordinary, you'll be walkin on sunshine.

·
Super Moderator
26,318 Posts
If your on a bigger FOB, or base, you will be ok. Considering the money involved, and how good it looks on any resume, it might be a gamble woth taking.
However, keep in mind you could shot at, mortared on, or IEDed/ambushed if you have to travel ANYWHERE on a convoy. I know of four contractors that were killed in Tigerland on BIAP while they were working out in the gym when a mortar hit it. The one woman was leaving in about week.
Speak softly and carry a hidden pistol if you have to leave the wire.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have been to Iraq 4 times. I have been in Nasiriea (03), Alasad(05,06), and Fallujah(07). The KBR workers were safe and awesome people to work with. Of course they had their own office drama, but everyone was taken care of and seemed to love their job. They make good money and my Marines and I loved um.
When you get to work with Civilians it makes it seem a little less like you are that far from home. Hit the USO and BS about the day, play some poker, and learn a little something: Jeff one of the construction workers taught us how to drive a bull dozer. It helped pass some time.
It will be a work environment you wont find in the states, all the pro's of being in the military without most of the BS.
Hope this helps,
-Doc

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Just some food for thought, make sure you have bullet proof health insurance, even if it costs you a lot.

I've heard a few stories of contractors going over for the bucks, and getting injured, and using all their benefits and still not being fixed.

In the end, ended up with no money, and a broken body.

·
Registered
141 Posts
KBR has the best food over there lol. I was doing some work for them back when they had a location in Kuwait out on the 7th ring, but I think they moved now. It was not that bad, everybody seemed relativly happy. We would bring a 12 pack of any sort of soda and give it to the TCN's after the bosses left and have alot of help the rest of the night. :grin:

·
Registered
7,182 Posts
check with member "haskins" IIRC he works for them stateside.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good to know guys thanks. So far I need to up the life and health and insurance just incase.

I want a carry pistol for over there. I was thinking a m9, so jut in case however not likely if I run dry I can share ammo and mags with the service men.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I work for KBR here in Texas in their Energy and Chemicals division (construction). You'd be working in the Government and Infrastructure division, so I don't have any personal experience with that side of the company or with Iraq. I've met a few people who've worked overseas though and the consensus seemed to be if you're young/don't mind being away from your family for an extended period of time go for it! You'll make some healthy money, and it's easy to move up because people rotate in and out so quickly.

As far as KBR goes, they've treated me very well so far. They separated from Haliburton a over a year ago, a lot of people are coming back to the company that left during the haliburton years and they seem to be making a concerted push to move back to days of Brown & Root (before the "K", Kellog was added) when they were a major player in the construction industry. I've met a lot of guys here in Texas who have worked for Brown & Root/KBR for 20+ years, which is encouraging.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Go for it.

Don't drink and blow all your money.

Keep $50 in your pocket. It's more than you need.

Pour all your money into Stateside real estate.

In 10 years, you will be a Land Baron! :dance:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go for it.

Don't drink and blow all your money.

Keep $50 in your pocket. It's more than you need.

Pour all your money into Stateside real estate.

In 10 years, you will be a Land Baron! :dance:
Thats the plan a 10-12 month contract payoff the debt buy a gently used car and put some money down on a starter home.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As KBR there, you will not carry nor be permitted to carry any firearms at all.
That sucks, are you allowed to hang out with the troops or are you supposed to stay on your side of the base?

·
Registered
8,027 Posts
There's really no need for the carrying of a weapon if you're on a major camp or even a smaller FOB. You're not going outside the wire unless you're flying on a Blackhawk to another camp/FOB. Normally, it's forbidden for KBR personnel to leave the wire anyway and there's not much reason to go out due to the dangers (special circumstances withstanding - truck drivers, etc.).

You're pretty much on a large camp or smaller FOB until your mid-tour, then back to the camp/FOB until you've completed your tour of duty and you fly-out to go back home. But if you're prone to getting stir crazy being stuck behind the walls of a FOB and only having the area of maybe two or three good-sized malls to live/work/play in for that year there, you might want to think more about it. Especially on a small FOB where entertainment outlets and PX item options are very limited.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts