AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my gear puller from harbor freight and thought I would press out a few barrels. I eventually got my Romy out without too much effort. I just used the puller, a breaker bar + socket, a vise, and 3 nickels. I know the key is keeping the puller on axis with the bore.

Both my Yugos are fighting me tooth and nail. I can't keep the puller on axis, it keeps riding up or down. I have soaked the bbls in kroil. It seems the nickels are flexing too easily and that is what's throwing the bore axis off.

I decided to take a break before I break something, and stuck my Yugos in the freezer. I am hoping tomorrow the cold will help things loosen up.

Any other tips I should try?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,408 Posts
I've used the puller to easily remove the barrels on a Hungarian AKM, a Polish Tantal, and two Romanian AIM's, but it couldn't even start to push the Yugo I tried. It would crush through 3 nickels but the barrel didn't budge.

Had to use the 12-ton press (which never fails). You may have better luck.

There are a few things you can do to the help the puller work better. First, grease the threads well, and second, grind the inside of the "hooks" (see the red ovals) so that they fit better on the edges of the barrel trunnion. There's a curve to them, and they work better if you flatten them out a little.

Also, switch the arms around so that they face each other across the short width of the block (opposite to the way they are in the picture) and squeeze them in your bench vise to keep everything together while you work.

The puller is a good shortcut, but I've found that getting the proper jigs and a press make building more enjoyable for me.

*Edit to say that I just recalled that the puller wouldn't fit on the Yugo trunnion very well because of the bulges. I gave up after it gouged the end of the trunnion.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I used one a Polish Tantal. It worked fine. Had a more difficult time on a Romanian "G" kit. If it is very tight, try getting a lot of tension on the puller and tap the trunion with hammer. That broke the Romi loose, after that I had no problems with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tighten a couple of hose clamps around the gear puller once you have it set. I found this helps to keep it straight.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I have used it to press out 8 kits including 2 yugos.I put the barrel and trunnion in a freezer for an hour,take it out and put the puller on it with a couple of pennies.Clamp it in the vice,and then heat the trunnion with a small butane torch for abot 30 seconds. Start cranking the puller with a socket and breaker bar. You will hear a pop or a scrinching sound,then the barrel will crank right out . Easy as pie

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you removing the shell of the old receiver before you push the bbl through? I couldn't get that type of puller around the trunnion with the old receiver still on.

I've also been putting the bbl in the vise instead of the puller. Maybe that's my mistake...

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Yes, you need to remove the old receiver from the trunnion.Put the puller with the trunnion and barrel installed in the vice.A little penetrating oil is a good idea also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts