AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the looks of the Savage model 10FP in the law enforcement line, pretty good chunk of change though. The Stevens M200 is more in my price range with all my other projects ongoing, however. Caliber would be either .308 or '06. But then sometimes I think I should just get a mount and a good piece of glass for one of my K31s. This would be a budget attempt at a semi-precision rifle.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Savage has always made good rifles. Until 5 years ago they used to be inexpensive. I always assumed they were cheaper because Savage did not do a lot of polishing work on the steel and the polymer stocks were really flimsy. They shoot just as good as a Remington though.

Now with the Savage AccuTrigger series being more expensive and the decline of Remington quality, I still think the Savage is still better value. After the last Remington I knocked apart and accurized for a guy I was disgusted with how sloppy the Remington was, and it was a 5R.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have had three Savages (.243, 30-06, Axis .308), all ran amazing right from day one. The last I got was the 110 in .243. Paid $275 OTD at a gun show, it had to be brand new, or fired so little it might as well have been. They definitely shoot better than I can :mrgreen:

Savages are used frequently as the bases for long range precision platforms for a reason. They are pretty darn good even right from the box, and lmore importantly are very easily upgradable. In my mind its a great choice, as you can shoot it now and get on average less than 1" accuracy at 100 yards from a factory rifle. Later you can easily swap out the stock, barrel, and trigger to begin with to improve it to get even higher precision.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To me that's one of it's major selling points, it's ability to be upgraded. Something I don't like about the Axis series.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Regardless of whether you go with the Savage or Stevens...get yourself a quality optic. The minimum you should be looking at is a Bushnell Elite 3200 or a SWFA/Tasco Super Sniper...about $300+ rings and mount. Otherwise..don't bother. Budget and precision don't really go together. A " budget rifle" in the precision world will run you $1k at minimum to have a quality setup capable of repeatability. Cheaper scopes may take an initial zero and hold it...but as soon as you start cranking on elevation and windage knobs on a regular basis they quickly reveal their weaknesses. I'm no rifle snob...but I am a bit of an optics snob. Spend the money and do it right. Someone once said a safari guide can identify an American because he'll have a $1000 rifle with a $100 optic....and a european because he'll have a $100 rifle with a $1000 optic. Both are probably the wrong answer, but the higher quality optic will do more for accuracy than a higher quality rifle with a junk scope. Also, do you reload? Again...without that...$1.00/round is what you can expect to pay for "cheap" match ammo of the 168gr variety for a .308...which is less than ideal past 600yds and make 1000yd shots illusive as the bullet will go transonic well before that range. My advice is as follows:

1). Buy an inexpensive or used reloading setup and some Wilson headspace gauges. You won't be cranking out 1000's of rounds each reloading session...but you will be able to loadquality ammo for less than half the cost of the cheapest off the shelf match ammo. If you go with a .308, buy some 155gr Scenars or some 175/178gr BTHP's

2). Buy a quality rifle in .308 or .260Rem. You don't gain much by jumping to .30-06...and you lose a lot of other things. Skip long action unless you plan on going to a magnum....which increases costs considerably. Both .308 and .260 will perform verywell out to 800-1000 yds.

3). Budget more for a quality optic than the rifle. I've yet to see a sub $300 optic pass a box test after a few range sessions.

If you just want a "decently" accurate rifle to plink with...maybe scoping your K-31 is your best COA. Either way...if you're serious about precision shooting spend the money and do it right. Buying an accurate rifle and a cheap optic is counterproductive. As is shooting cheap ammo through an accurate rig. Those routes will leave you disappointed and wondering why you can't make a hit when others can. Ask me how I know...once upon a time...

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
Forgot to mention...when buying an optic, opt for a matched knob-reticle scope. I spent years using Leupolds with mil dot reticles and MOA knobs. I always though it wasn't a big deal...that the minimal math needed to convert mils to MOA wasn't much of a hassle. Then I bought a Mil/Mil scope. My gosh what a difference. On targets of unknown range, my second shot hit percentage went up to darn close to 100%. Fire the first round...spot your own miss through the scope...adjust for your correction with the elevation knob and hold for windage...hit. Too simple. Whether you go MOA (if that's what your'e comfortable with) or Mils it makes not difference, just be sure the reticle matches the knobs.

CMS

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thank you for your input CMS. At this point I really would rather spend my funds on "less politically correct" weapons. At some point I really would like to own a true precision rifle. I still might scope one of my K31's. It would do probably 80% of what I want to do. So many wants, so little funds.

·
Super Moderator
6,893 Posts
I completely understand the circumstances. I'm done buying guns for quite a while. I'm pleased where I'm at for now though and need to focus more on shooting. Definitely wait and do it right. It's not rocket science but does require a certain standard of rifle, optic, and ammunition. Best of luck when you decide to go forward with it....and either way...a scoped 31K still sounds like fun. They're very accurate rifles.

CMS

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One of the main problems I have now is a place to shoot. The really sweet club i used to belong to had a 600 yard hi-power range. One of only two in Ohio if I recall correctly. At least as far as private ranges go.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I love my MKII FVT. No accu-trigger but the break point is sub 3lbs so im good wit that. Hits
everything i shoot at with scope or Williams sites. Its mostly all 22 I shoot on a regular basis.
Have a lot of vintage 22 rifle that are a blast to shoot!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts