AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did any real East German AK rifles come into the US, as semi-auto commercial rifles or parts kits or NFA registered full autos?

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Did anyone get a kit together before the ban in 1989? Since thats the year the D.D.R. fell and the DDR stuff started comming in I doubt it... but I can dream.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
One of the problems is thatthe Germans consider the barrel the "firearm" or registered part. They cut that BATF cuts the receiver,not much left but parts.

·
Registered
14,915 Posts
No civillian semi-auto DDR rifles made it in to the US. The only Com Bloc AK's to come in were the Hungarian FEG SA-85M's and some Yugoslavian rifles imported through Mitchell's.

Kits weren't really around in 1989, that's a relatively new thing.

As Fireman said, the Unified German gov't destroyed the barrels on their surplus rifles.

Many DDR AK's ended up in Finland, and a lot of the DDR AK-74's were given to the US Gov't by the Germans for training and "whatever".

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Some E. German AKM rifle kits came in with the other PLO kits.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Q-gunner2 said:
Did anyone get a kit together before the ban in 1989? Since thats the year the U.S.S.R. fell and the DDR stuff started comming in I doubt it... but I can dream.
I couldve sworn the USSR collapsed in '91? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
10,317 Posts
SVT said:
Q-gunner2 said:
Did anyone get a kit together before the ban in 1989? Since thats the year the U.S.S.R. fell and the DDR stuff started comming in I doubt it... but I can dream.
I couldve sworn the USSR collapsed in '91? :confused:
They did, the DDR fell in 1989.

Hootbro

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Crap! Sorry, you are totally right, I was in E.G. mode... fixed it, thanks for catching my error.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Some DDR AK74's made in into the Netherlands after the collapse of the wall....somehow you don't see them often...EG stocksets are relatively easy to get though (find them fugly though)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also, many ended up in Jordan for a number of Years.

They( Jordan ), then sold to the U.S. for the New Iraqi Military.

My brother saw a couple crates of them, at his base last Year, that were going to be issued out to the Iraqi's.

The samples seen, he said, were in 'Pristine' condition.
Quote- "couldn't have ever been used!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts