AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm thinking about a R65 or R80 maybe once i get settled in CO.
basically looking for a light touring bike.

i have never ridden a motorcycle before. i spend more time on a mountain bike than is probably healthy though :twisted:

post pics too! :cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
While the bikes you mention are definitely nice, two thoughts popped into my head with your circumstances:

1. Your altitude will significantly affect any carbuerated motorcycle. It may have been tuned for sea level and will need to be modified. If it is already tuned for higher elevations and you ride it (tour) it will run like a pig at lower elevations. Fuel injection with a MAP sensor will run smooth at all altitudes.

2. If you plan to do ANY riding on anything but dirt (fairly common in CO?) I would recommend something like a BMW GS. It's A LOT more flexible.

This coming from a Honda Blackbird (FI) rider in WA State. It kicks ass going up the mountain passes. I only wish I could ride logging roads with it.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gov-t_mule said:
While the bikes you mention are definitely nice, two thoughts popped into my head with your circumstances:

1. Your altitude will significantly affect any carbuerated motorcycle. It may have been tuned for sea level and will need to be modified. If it is already tuned for higher elevations and you ride it (tour) it will run like a pig at lower elevations. Fuel injection with a MAP sensor will run smooth at all altitudes.

2. If you plan to do ANY riding on anything but dirt (fairly common in CO?) I would recommend something like a BMW GS. It's A LOT more flexible.

This coming from a Honda Blackbird (FI) rider in WA State. It kicks ass going up the mountain passes. I only wish I could ride logging roads with it.
i'm thinking i mostly want to ride pavement. I was thinking about getting a true dual sport bike like a KLR650. i feel like that thing would get kinda grating on a longer trip though. a twin would be a lot smoother than a single cylinder right? i'm a little sketched out about taking a motorcycle offroad. especially a heavy ass dual sport.

(alt+p)

basically i want to ride it to work on nice days, and make some decent road trips.

i'm cool with doing some tuning and work myself. i like the simplicity of the old airheads.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I've been stopping myself from getting an R90S for about a year now. I'd like it to keep My R1200C Montauk company.

Cool bike and a good one goes for only about 4Gs right now.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
I had a black 1976 R90/6 about 10 years ago and it was a great bike.
They aren't very fast,the brakes are so so but it had plenty of character.

On the highway on a long ride I would put my tennis shoes on the jugs and when they started to smoke it was time to put them back on the pegs.:cool:
Everybody would either smile at stoplights or give me the thumbs up.
I'd love to find an old toaster tank for a project.
I say go for it.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yadaddy said:
I've been stopping myself from getting an R90S for about a year now. I'd like it to keep My R1200C Montauk company.

Cool bike and a good one goes for only about 4Gs right now.
not bad.

cool to see you guys haven't tried to get me to buy a used suzuki yet :grin:

i got a thing for boxer engines.
and the BMW stuff seems to be really solid and reliable.
i keep seeing BMW bikes on ebay with like 80,000 miles and crap :shock:

here's another question: what do yall recommend for protective gear. i'm not cool enough to ride in shorts and a t-shirt. i'm thinking decent jacket and some kind of riding pants (no assless chaps please)
something cool and comfortable.

can anyone give me a quick rundown of pros/cons of various models/displacements of BMW stuff i might run across. i'm thinking i want something smaller. 600-800cc? just based on it being a bit lighter and easier to handle for a newb.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
skyugo said:
cool to see you guys haven't tried to get me to buy a used suzuki yet
Puhleeeease!

skyugo said:
i keep seeing BMW bikes on ebay with like 80,000 miles and crap
Oh jeepers, those are just barely broken in!

You can ride your Beemer bikes everyday of your life and then hand them down to your grand kids, for everyday of their life.

skyugo said:
i'm not cool enough to ride in shorts and a t-shirt.
Never on a Beemer. Proper riding atire is always required.

Check these guys out.

http://www.dragginjeans.com/

Reasonably priced, good look and quality stuff.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
You can get armor for the draggin' jeans. Most important thing is don't crash!

skyugo said:
for 3-4 grand an old BMW is a pretty good deal then eh?
HELLS YES!!! hells yes.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yadaddy said:
You can get armor for the draggin' jeans. Most important thing is don't crash!

skyugo said:
for 3-4 grand an old BMW is a pretty good deal then eh?
HELLS YES!!! hells yes.
i could probably swing that. :twisted:

early 80's stuff in pretty nice shape is all over ebay for that price.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
:grin: go human power . keep both your legs and maybe your life.

I have had 3 bikes I cant tell you how many times I have almost been ran over, pulled out in front of, and creamed by a deer or dog. :wink:

I painted and built this for my son. started out as a jesse james bike.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
I've owned two R-100's and an R-90, I'm currently looking for an R-90 for a project. I plan on using a Heinrich Tank with European Bars. :grin:

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will36 said:
:grin: go human power . keep both your legs and maybe your life.

I have had 3 bikes I cant tell you how many times I have almost been ran over, pulled out in front of, and creamed by a deer or dog. :wink:

I painted and built this for my son. started out as a jesse james bike.

i've got plenty invested in human powered cycles. 2 wheels is clearly the shit :cool:

·
Registered
519 Posts
My last motorcycle was an '84 R100 RT, I loved that machine and miss it big-time. I had a back injury that I am afraid has left me extremely cautious about riding again, otherwise I would have to have one of those oil head GS models...RIGHT NOW! or Yesterday at least.
My first BMW was an older R100/7, a great motorcycle but the tranny and brakes were not up to the standards of the later bikes.
One of my favorite things to do on the RT was get it up to speed on the freeway, it had a thing for 82mph, everything was perfect at 82. I'd set the throttle screw down tight, lay down on the tank bag, put my feet up on the back pegs and basically get as flat as possible, I'd end up with my hands down behind the jugs where it was nice and warm, then in order to change lanes or weave from side to side all I had to do was stick a hand out into the airstream...It was awesome, I called it flying low.
The are so consistenty "German" it isn't funny...I rode from about St. Patrick's day through Halloween in most years, rain and all..commited, and it didn't matter what the temperature was I'd go out and depending on the outside temp use the proper amount of choke and it would turn over and fire, idle, and be ready to go about the time I gloved and helmeted up, backed out of the garage, ready to go.
About a month ago I went over and checked out the Ural sidecar rig with its dated Russian BMW engine. I nearly bought one and may end up doing it next year.
I've owned a Harley, they're great motorcycles but if its a "machine" your looking for, get a BMW...Those old R90S's absolutely give me wood, I haven't had a chance to try out one of the latest "naked" R1200's but I have noticed that those you see for sale have very few miles on them. They probably were bought by some dork unaware of the serious torque this engine is capable of and got the bejazus scared out of them.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My dad used to have a BMW R/69 S and my mother used to drive a BMW R27..

Both are sadly sold, they switched to other bikes..

·
Super Moderator
4,285 Posts
I have an early R69 with the earls fork, sorry to say its still in pieces though...I call it my lifetime restoration :neutral: One of these day's i'll finish it up. I rode an 1991 R100GS for ten solid years and loved every minute of it, was a great bike on and off road and extremely reliable except for one trip where I blew the rectifier (common problem with early R series bikes). I sold the bike in 05 to a fella in England and we still communicate from time to time, he's had it all over europe and england sice and it's still chugging along. If seat height is not a problem I would look for an late 80's to early 90's GS, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The GS is more of a dual sport right? I'm 5'9 31" inseam. I'm only 25.. pretty nimble still :smile: so maybe a high seat would be no biggie.

i guess i would like the option of goin offroad. might be handy in a SHTF situation as well (hey this is AKforum right?)

do they still work nice on the interstate?

should i stay away from the 600 CC models for long distance travel? I know they're just barely 50 hp. which SEEMS like plenty to me. but you can never have too much power right?

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Glock Holiday said:

Crappy picture of my R90/6 boxer.
that thing is hot man.
:cool:

so here's a question-with no fairings- is it hell to ride for long distances? i have no interest in going out without the jacket, gloves and helmet. i love the look of un-faired bikes, but i'm thinking i might want one for practical reasons.

·
Registered
8,915 Posts
Look close and you'll see it had a pretty big windshield on it.
It was fun and and there are things I miss about that old bike.
Here is my current bike:

2007 Kawasaki 600.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts