AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just so happen to have a couple panels of body armor that have been stored in less than ideal climates... and they're as old as I am!

We all know about the 11 year old armor that bulletproofme has.... but let's go crazy lets go nuts.

I have vacation time this week... I've got 9x19 through 44 magnum as well as 12 ga buckshot.

So...who's interested in results?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chances are good the x25 is going to zip through even IIIa armor.

I'll definitely post pics.

·
Super Moderator
25,782 Posts
Looking forward to the results.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Not being an expert on the material that makes up armor, I would add that our issued armor is replaced every five years. I can't imagine what kind of performance 30 year old armor would provide.

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not being an expert on the material that makes up armor, I would add that our issued armor is replaced every five years. I can't imagine what kind of performance 30 year old armor would provide.
That's a warranty standard with normal wear and tear on the panels. They get sweated on.. move around. probably left in trunks or worse places. BulletproofME tested some old armor but THIS stuff i have has been abused and neglected. It should be interesting to see if it can stop what it should.

12 GA bean bag round?
Don't have any.

I'll send you some old German Kevlar panels if you'd be willing to test them and share the results.
Sure thing! I've read that they're somewhat more durable than the old flak jackets our side fielded, but I'll test 'em for ya.

dont forget to carport test it too.:eek:
I'll carport test YOU :p

And the brown necktie test as well.
Wat

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I beat you to it 10Guage, but I don't want to steal your thunder. I had an armor panel from 2002 and it stopped 7.62x25. I'm still interested in the results from decades old armor.

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I beat you to it 10Guage, but I don't want to steal your thunder. I had an armor panel from 2002 and it stopped 7.62x25. I'm still interested in the results from decades old armor.
Interesting. Was it surplus or commercial? Someone had a kevlar helmet and it punched through that. I guess the different configuration might have been a factor.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Body armor is now made to stop the 7.62x25mm. So that might be why the 2002 vest stopped it. Also from what I understand you must have the body armor on snug, no loose fitting armor. Otherwise it won't be as effective.

·
Registered
21,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Body armor is now made to stop the 7.62x25mm. So that might be why the 2002 vest stopped it. Also from what I understand you must have the body armor on snug, no loose fitting armor. Otherwise it won't be as effective.
Correct.

·
Super Moderator
25,782 Posts
I had read someplace that vests used by police in European countries had to be rated against the 7.62x25. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Firearm used: cz. 52
Ammo: Bulgarian surplus 7.62x25
Distance: About five yards

18F6D8CD_zpsd89c38d0.jpg
Before hit
DB51E2D9_zpsf23982c6.jpg
As you can see, it captured the round.
25E3D195_zps3d74ad55.jpg
The force blew out a chunk of wood.

I think Kevlar helmets and woven Kevlar soft armor is a bad comparison for bullet testing. Kevlar helmets to the best of my knowledge are hardened by a baking process and were never intended to stop full on bullet impacts, rather shrapnel from explosions. Woven Kevlar soft armor as some of you may know is interlaced in a opposing pattern and is designed to stop full on bullet strikes, but may not withstand stab attacks from edged weapons. I think even older soft body armor designs could stop 7.62x25. Also, body armor is designed to work best when over something malleable, such as a body, and not against a hard surface. I couldn't find someone to wear it for this test so I stapled the edges to a plank of wood.

As you can see from the results, it stopped the bullet from penetrating but the kinetic impact is still pretty devastating. Hopefully, no one here believes the Hollywood effects of wearing body armor. As stated, armor is designed to stop penetration, but you will still have a terrible day with possible internal bleeding and broken bones from being shot with armor on.

8286CC4E_zps849c31aa.jpg
Here is the projectile. Getting it out was a huge pain due to the interwoven design I mentioned earlier. I was cutting it with my Leatherman for about 20 minutes.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts