AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think Jimi was the most innovative guitar player ever. "Voodoo Chile" is probably my favorite song ever.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I think Jimi was the most innovative guitar player ever. "Voodoo Chile" is probably my favorite song ever.
You and I would get along well.

Ive been into just about everything at one point or another except new country. I keep coming back to the late 60's, early 70's stuff and Hendrix was where it was at.

Voodoo Chile is phenomenal. I used to do a lot of guitar playing and recording and had decided to learn to play that song. The software I use can slow the music but keep the pitch and it was a good tool to learn his stuff. The problem with that song is when you slow it down, you discover there are more notes that you don't normally pick up at normal tempo. Its ridiculous. A tough one for sure.

I can play the purple haze solo in a druken stooper for HOURS straight. It is not too hard but takes a while to get that sound. Most of the classics I have down. I was going to throw up a youtube video at some point, but was honestly waiting for the queen movie release to post the bohemian rhapsody solo but the movie was cancelled :(

I might just do it anyway.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
You and I would get along well.

Ive been into just about everything at one point or another except new country. I keep coming back to the late 60's, early 70's stuff and Hendrix was where it was at.

Voodoo Chile is phenomenal. I used to do a lot of guitar playing and recording and had decided to learn to play that song. The software I use can slow the music but keep the pitch and it was a good tool to learn his stuff. The problem with that song is when you slow it down, you discover there are more notes that you don't normally pick up at normal tempo. Its ridiculous. A tough one for sure.

I can play the purple haze solo in a druken stooper for HOURS straight. It is not too hard but takes a while to get that sound. Most of the classics I have down. I was going to throw up a youtube video at some point, but was honestly waiting for the queen movie release to post the bohemian rhapsody solo but the movie was cancelled :(

I might just do it anyway.
Do it!

Good to see some other players on the forum. Picked up my first guitar when I was 9, next to AKs it's definitely my favorite hobby.

I don't even try to play Jimi's solos anymore when my band covers him... better off just doing my own thing cause I don't stand a chance haha. No doubt he was one of the greats. I can jam to that little throw away riff he threw on the end of Castles Made of Sand for hours and hours. My style is more in line with Keith Richards, Neil Young, and David Gilmour, but Jimi is one of my favorites to listen to.

What software did ya mention? I use protools these days. Miss my cassettes/4track, but can't deny the quality of using softwares these days.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
He was way ahead of his time. Shame he died so young.

Its strange that he and an abnormal amount of well known musicians died at 27.

I use ableton live. It's geared more toward electronic music but it can handle anything.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Big time!

I love all his most popular songs and all, but have you guys heard the Band of Gypsys stuff that's been released? A religious experience!:eek:

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Got any album title's? Heh, heh. I said ALBUM.
They were live. I believe recorded at the Filmore. I was listening to them with a friend of mine a few weeks back. I think he got them off of itunes, but I'll have to get more details. Truly amazing stuff, though.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Actually saw him in concert when I was a teen about a year before he died. It was in an old time theatre and I had a balcony seat off left stage about 40-50 feet away.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn dude, consider yourself lucky. I would have liked to see the Door's as well. However, Jimi and Jim both died when I was about one year's old.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Damn dude, consider yourself lucky. I would have liked to see the Door's as well. However, Jimi and Jim both died when I was about one year's old.
I did see the Doors. Seating kinda sucked. It was at a place here they call Public Hall better suited for circuses than concerts. Even though I was about 75 feet back from the stage it was floor seating and of course everyone stood on their folding chairs so it was a bitch trying to see over other people and keep your balance. Saw Joplin too from the nose bleed seats (and I mean the very last top row in the middle) and practically needed binos to see her. Saw E.C. and Cream too in a theatre setting--that was good--was amazed back then with Ginger Baker played two complete sets of drums.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Saw him three times. First time, opening act was Chicago Transit Authority, aka Chicago. Red House was one of my favorites. I was amazed at the sounds that three guys could make. Sad that Jimi, Mitch and Noel are no longer with us. Ahead of their time. Will never forget first time I heard Purple Haze. Wow!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
I am a fan, "All Along The Watch Tower" is an old favorite of mine.
Love the song, and though I'm sure it's sacrilege, I really like the Bear McCreary version he and his brother did for Galactica

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I am a fan, "All Along The Watch Tower" is an old favorite of mine.
One of the best songs of all time by anybody. One night in the late 60's at a party where the guy had a $5000 stereo, every time Hendrix would strum his guitar, my life would flash before my eyes. A night I will never forget. GARY

1 - 20 of 20 Posts