AK Rifles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's grandfather has a 1911 from about 1915 that is in near mint condition. He's curious what it's worth. His uncle had it in WWI, but its been shot very little, he estimates maybe 200 rounds have ever been fired out of it, and it's immaculately clean with no wear on the bluing.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Approximately 200 rounds isn't "mint" and a hardcore colt 1911 collector will tell you that in a heartbeat. I've learned that over my short 1911 phase.

If it's all original it's worth and good condition like you say it's probably at least a grand. Ideally a nice range is between 1200-1500.

If it were Like NIB you could fetch upward of 1500+
NIB would probably be touching around 2K for one.

But don't quote me on those prices, I've been out of the 1911 game for years now.

I dabbled in older colts once upon a time but lost interest with current prices.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I didn't say mint, I said near mint, which is really just to give an idea of condition. It doesn't look like it's ever been fired, I just know that it has been, as her grandfather said he fired one mag out of it like 40 years ago. He takes it out of storage every now and then to clean it and oil it and that's it. It looks like it's brand new.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
Also the magazine should be half blued and have the lanyard loop on it as well.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I have one 5 digit 1911 from 1914, two ""G" numbered 1911's from the twenties, two 1911A1's from WWII, an Ithaca and a Rem-Rand.

Neat firearms!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Funny you brought up the subject, I too have a 1915, Colt 1911 looks just like yours, has two tone mag w/loop. Inst booklet, now mine has one small problem, someone took an angle file and placed three small notches (/\) on the bottom side of the mag well, ol dude I got the pistol from at the gunshow (Trade) said his grandfather (and he was at least 65) was with Pershing down in Mexico and shot three Mexicans with it, thats why it was notched. COLT can only tell me it was shipped to El Paso TX in 1916.

The PBS channel show "History Detectives" wil be in town this weekend and I will drop by and show it to them.
($2000 is a bit low I think for the pistol showed, more like $3,500) IMHO.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
WhiteRabbit said:
xarmy96? you just contacted colt and found out where your pistol has been?
You have to pay colt I believe it's called "letter of authentication" by the Colt Office of the Historian, Colt Archive Properties. I think it was $100 bucks. It's nice to have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts