AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know who will remove the barrel extension and replace with a muzzle brake on a TGI/in range VZ58?

thanks

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Has to be a class II manufacturer becuase once the extension is removed, it is a SBR.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
obiwanbonjovi? That letter is a Godsend... It should be a Sticky in this forum. I can now get rid of my "muzzle fake" on the TGI rifle.

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
I was going to wait to post it until I had some more flash hiders in stock to sell, but then I decided I shouldn't be a dick, so I responded to the next post about it :wink:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Obiwan,

Do you know if it's legal to modify the foreign made muzzle attachment by drilling holes or slits in it to make a muzzle brake?
Do you have muzzle attachments for purchase?

Ken

·
Premium Member
2,715 Posts
It is legal to modify the original one into a brake as long as you don't make it too short, but it will still count as an imported part.
Currently I have no attatchments to sell, I have been low on cash and it hasn't been a priority, I am working on it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Well, i had asked about replacing the ext. on a vz58 with a diff. one and
all i heard SBR violation, You saved me at least $100. on having it done!
Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
obiwanbonjovi said:
rbthntr64 said:
Has to be a class II manufacturer becuase once the extension is removed, it is a SBR.
the ATF and I would both have to disagree with that
I spoke directly to BATF in Kansas City yesterday at a meeting about getting my manufacturers license. We discussed letters written to tech branch. The letters are only subject to the person that wrote them. So using anothers letter doesn't necessarily cover you.
Case in point, Ezfeed over at weaponeer has a reply from tech branch stating that modified AK trigger parts are considered domestically manufactured. Then several months later I submitted a letter asking about modified Vz trigger parts and got a reply stating that if the part was originally manufactured overseas, it was a foreign part and would not count.
Many go off letters that others have written, but the Director I spoke with said that the final decission would be decided by a judge if you went off anothers letter. To me, I cannot afford losing time off work and attorney fees to prove I am right. Thank you Chris for your input. I think it is great that you have a letter allowing you to do this, but I for one will not take a chance. When and if I get my 07 FFL, I could offer this service for
$65. I will let you guys know.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
What kind of device do you want to put on it? If you are wanting the rapidfire MB, I would contact Phill at Rapidfire. He is their on staff machinest, otherwise, I could ask a friend that is a licensed FFL Manufacturer and see if he has time. Just let me know.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Now that it looks like it would be OK to remove the extension and replace it with a brake, I have to ask...how do you get the extension off of the FSB? I've looked at my TGI rifle and it looks like the extension is permanently attached by means of a plug weld. If that's the case, is there a good way to remove the extension and salvage what's left of the threads? I was thinking of placing cuts along the length of the extension on both sides of the plug weld. Any thoughts?

BH

·
Registered
27 Posts
obiwanbonjovi said:
Whenever I get to mine I plan on drilling out the 2 plug welds then unscrewing.
Wouldn't the welds be too hard to drill? I thought about just drilling them, but welds are usually hard as hell and eat drill bits. Maybe a cobalt bit might work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts