AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want a pup. Don't know if it will get along with my cat's, though. From what I understand, they're very loyal dog's. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Always been more of a Doberman person, but I do have a Belgian Sheepdog, which is basically a all black German shephard. Extremely smart and loyal dog. But if you are going to get one please look into adoption as opposed to buying.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
I had one. They're great dogs and most are the "one master" type. Some get along well with kids, other dogs, and cats, while others are tempermental. Just like any dog, they can be aggressive. If you get a puppy and raise it with the cat it shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
As a pup it should be fine with whatever its raised with. Like every other dog or cat or even person they all have their own personality. Ours was very docile and none aggressive, barely ever barked, and loved everyone who came into our house with us.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
They are awesome Dogs! We had a real Shaefferhund we got when we lived in Germany. The breeders wife mistakenly sold her to us as a pup much to the fury of her husband and after that people were calling us with offers of large sums of cash. They are the "true german shepherds" That was the most obedient faithful dog to the whole family. If my Grandmother tried to spank me or my brother she "Mancha" would just firmly grab her wrist and hold it so she couldn't spank us. The shaefferhunds are black with small brown markings are smaller than the brown shepherds and slope down on the hindquarters more also but all types are great! Bark bark bark bark

·
Banned
950 Posts
I got a couple of them. They are good dogs. Pretty much sleep most of the time.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I have one (German Bloodline) and it's not fond of anything foreign that also has fur. I have a friend that had two on the farm and they constantly ate the farm cats.
A GSD is a dominant dog and requires lots of time for training. I spent at least 30 minutes every day for 2 years training my GSD. His commands are not in English, "Sit" & "Stay" mean absolutely nothing to him. He is truly a devoted protector of those allowed into his flock.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
German Shepherds are the greatest dogs in my book. I'll just say that before it turns into a huge rant

Here's Blitzkrieg. His bloodline was unbelievable, nearly ran all the way back to Beuwolf (one of the early descendents of the first GS). Because of his working dog bloodline, he needed to be constantly challenged and busy working. He would follow me absolutely everywhere, from room to room. This kind of shepherd can be pretty challenging, but he was the best dog and friend anyone could ask for!

He never had a problem with children either-

·
Registered
553 Posts
If you are worried about your cats the best bet would be to start with a young pup. Make no mistake- your cats will most likely hate this as they will become chew toys. Get your pup from a breeder where you can see how it was raised and the parents if at all possible. If you are not up to being the alfa dog pick something else. Too many people let the dog become the pack leader, it needs to be you. Lots of good information out there but a lot of bs as well. Most gsd dogs I know have been great to their "packs" and I can't think of one person who doesn't love their choice.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm on my 3rd shepherd. I will caution you that after you go with this breed that it's hard to go with another. I've found the cats are not willing to make friends. I had a boxer as a kid and he made friends with all our barn cats, he even convinced them to sleep on top of him in the winter to keep him warm. I later learned that's common with the breed.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
Ours earlier this summer.

Just over a year old now and finally healthy. She had developed a bad infection in her uterus with her last owner and it took us a while to catch that. Now well and spayed, she is a very energetic and determined doggie. She adores hugs from kids and loves lightly chewing on our Siamese cat (Who uses her for a pillow as you can see!) She loves other dogs that are friendly. Mean ones freak her out and she tries to run home. She's a long and lean 75# and can bound and run like few other dogs I have known. She loves chasing balls and Frisbee's. A old motorcycle tire is her favorite toy to work out with.
ETA: Totally non aggressive. Never barks at strangers. She'd rather just sit quietly in the hallway and wait 'til they come in, then walk up for a boisterous greeting. There are many bad habits she could have but doesn't. No separation anxiety. Perfectly house broken and we can leave her alone with the cats for up to 6 hours in the house with never any issues. She just sleeps on the floor in our room when we're gone. She sleeps through the night well and wimpers us awake at about 7 am to be let outside. Excellent house manners.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Ours earlier this summer.

Just over a year old now and finally healthy. She had developed a bad infection in her uterus with her last owner and it took us a while to catch that. Now well and spayed, she is a very energetic and determined doggie. She adores hugs from kids and loves lightly chewing on our Siamese cat (Who uses her for a pillow as you can see!) She loves other dogs that are friendly. Mean ones freak her out and she tries to run home. She's a long and lean 75# and can bound and run like few other dogs I have known. She loves chasing balls and Frisbee's. A old motorcycle tire is her favorite toy to work out with.
ETA: Totally non aggressive. Never barks at strangers. She'd rather just sit quietly in the hallway and wait 'til they come in, then walk up for a boisterous greeting. There are many bad habits she could have but doesn't. No separation anxiety. Perfectly house broken and we can leave her alone with the cats for up to 6 hours in the house with never any issues. She just sleeps on the floor in our room when we're gone. She sleeps through the night well and wimpers us awake at about 7 am to be let outside. Excellent house manners.
Beautiful pup!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts