AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to assembling MY first M70B1 today. I've helped out a few friends with theirs in the past, but never had one to call my own...until today! :grin:

Green Mountain barrel on NDS-5 and matching kit parts. The NDS-5 & NDS-28 showed up last night, and I've been working on her off and on all day.

First complete build with the AK-Builder rivet jig. Vast improvement over my previous rivet press, but I'm still getting the hang of the long rivet jig. I had to drill out the long rivet on the front trunion and try again, but in the end, the rivets all look pretty good.

I got a virgin sight set for it just to have the active tritium and they're awesome! Need to go test fire to make sure the front tower is centered up right before I pin it up and call it ready for paint.

This rifle got me building again after well over a year hiatus of building and selling off almost all my AKs to build precision ARs. After getting paranoid about November a month ago and getting the parts together finish this one, I've since acquired a virgin m70 fixed, virgin m70 underfolder, Yugo RPK, AMD65, and AMD Pistol kits that are waiting to be built...these things are WORSE than bunnies!

Happy building,
:cool:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Very Nice! :cool:

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Hey looks good! Lets see some up close photos of that barrel!!! Did you get a kit with a cut barrel or was your barrel so bad you wanted a new one?

I havent built a cut barrel kit but I guess I'm gonna have to learn.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the compliments, guys! You can always count on this crowed for a little moral support... :wink:

dr1553 said:
Hey looks good! Lets see some up close photos of that barrel!!! Did you get a kit with a cut barrel or was your barrel so bad you wanted a new one?

I havent built a cut barrel kit but I guess I'm gonna have to learn.
A while back, I built a Tabuk clone with a GM barrel from Copes and it was absolutely the best shooting AK I've ever fired. I keep kicking myself now for selling it... It would hold sub 2" groups w/ Wolf at 100 w/ iron sights for 5 shot groups very consistently. So, I wanted to try another of their barrels with a current build. The fact that the original barrel was total junk made the decision very easy.

Here are a few barrel shots-

Chamber, notice the clean cut extractor relief and new Trit sight:

Without the handguards:

Closeup of the handguard retainer cut, perfectly placed and clean machining:

And this is my favorite part about this kit. I'm not sure who "KD" was, but he was apparently memorializing "11" of something! :razz:

Also this shot shows the side with the long rivets formed with the AK builder long rivet jig.

For whatever reason, this batch of NDS-5 receivers came with a black-oxide finish that looks pretty sharp. I'll feel a *little* bad putting duracoat over it...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts