AK Rifles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range the other day with my team and i piece of a primer somehow fell into the FCG on my buddy's M4. I was just so pissed off when he pulled the trigger and the hammer wouldnt even fall and fire the round. I told him to put in on burst and hoped that would maybe make the hammer fall. Nope. Just another reason why I love the AK. But another reason to be dissapointed at the M4... :neutral:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Seen it before, primer under the trigger locked up the fire control.

·
Super Moderator
25,845 Posts
That sucks! Just be damn glad it was not the two way range! Looks like Mr. Murphy was out to lunch that day.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Is this common with a certain type of ammo, or only when ammo is fired full-auto?

I've been shooting AR's since 85 and don't remember EVER having a primer in my lower receiver at any time.

I've been shooting FA's for the last 8 years, and STILL don't remember ever having a primer in my lower receiver.

·
Registered
945 Posts
That is a rare malfunction. You guys should have gone out and bought a lottery ticket that day. I have been using the M16/Ar15 platforms for 20 + years without ever having or seen that malfunction. Anything can happen though !

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
I was shooting some Guatemalan surplus in my AR a while back. On two range trips I had multiple complete primers pop out on firing.

I found two or three in the lower receiver after each trip while cleaning.

They did not cause a malfunction however.

·
Registered
389 Posts
That is why on US made military ammunition the primer is crimped in. Not sure about other countries.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
couldn't a popped primer jam up an AK FCG as well?

granted there's a bit more space around the AK parts...

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
Most definately. It's just a rare malfunction that can happen to several platforms but not really the gun's fault.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
rayman1 said:
Most definately. It's just a rare malfunction that can happen to several platforms but not really the gun's fault.
damn the M4 :mad:

so how much sand do you have to pour into one of these things for the bolt carrier to be unable to reciprocate?

i'd try it myself, but then i'd have to spend 6 hours cleaning it while sobbing "i'm sorry i'm sorry" over and over again. :goof:

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I flicked the safety to auto on my issue m16a1 and the damn thing went FA with out anything on the trigger. We were doing over/under drills and I let out a 15-18 round burst around my partners foot (he was under)and up onto target. The "nipple" on the buffer retainer was found to have been broken off and was chewed up in the FCG. Scared the heck out of us and my buddy was more than a little pissed. Reminds you DONT POINT IT UNLESS YOU WANT TO SHOOT IT.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Mike Venturino just had a brand new S&W M&P AR type rifle sent to him to test and write up. He brought it over because it would not function. My first guess was right, a loosed primer fell under and lodged beneath the front portion of the trigger.

:goof:

·
Registered
990 Posts
bamaak said:
I was shooting some Guatemalan surplus in my AR a while back. On two range trips I had multiple complete primers pop out on firing.

I found two or three in the lower receiver after each trip while cleaning.

They did not cause a malfunction however.
for as nasty as it was, i relly relly relly miss guat surp. :sad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts