AK Rifles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe a Russian General officer would be stupid enough to get quoted that nuking Poland is now an option......

Cluster bombs on civillians.....not abiding by the cease fire that was agreed upon....

Georgia has most likely permanently lost S. Ossetia and Abkazia, and Old Mother Russia will likely absorb them. The former states of the Warsaw Pact must be shitting themselves.

I understand that Russia was humiliated in the 90's, going from a World Power to a 3rd World country, not being taken seriously, but trying to jump start their empire again crosses the line I think.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080815/ap_ ... gia_russia

:mad:

West presses for end to Georgia conflict By MATTI FRIEDMAN, Associated Press Writer
1 hour, 4 minutes ago

Western leaders engaged in intense diplomacy Friday to persuade Russia to pull troops out of Georgia, but regional tensions soared after a top Russian general warned that Poland could face attack over its missile defense deal with the United States.

In his strongest declaration of support for Georgia, President Bush declared that America would stand by the Georgian people and that the staunch American ally's territorial integrity must be respected after last week's eruption of violence.

"We will not cast them aside," he said in Washington.

But Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, speaking at virtually the same time, said the separatist Georgian regions at the center of the conflict appear destined for independence.

"After what happened, it's unlikely Ossetians and Abkhazians will ever be able to live together with Georgia in one state," he said in a joint news conference in the Russian resort of Sochi with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.

Meanwhile, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice arrived in Georgia Friday to press President Mikhail Saakashvili to sign a fragile cease-fire deal. It would require major Georgian concessions, but Rice said the U.S. would never ask Georgia to agree to something that isn't in its best interests.

The plan calls for the immediate withdrawal of Russian combat troops from Georgia, but allows Russian peacekeepers who were in South Ossetia violence erupted of violence to remain and take a greater role there.

"This is not an agreement about the future of Abkhazia and the future of South Ossetia," Rice said. "This is about getting Russian troops out," she said.

As the West pressed for peace, Russian Gen. Anatoly Nogovitsyn was quoted by Interfax News Agency on Friday as saying that by accepting a U.S. missile defense battery Poland "is exposing itself to a strike."

He pointed out that Russian military doctrine permits the use of nuclear weapons "against the allies of countries having nuclear weapons if they in some way help them," Interfax reported.

Poland and the U.S. signed a deal Thursday for Poland to accept a missile defense battery as part of a system the United States says is aimed at blocking attacks by rogue nations but that Moscow claims is aimed at weakening Russia.

On the ground in Georgia, Russian troops on Friday allowed some humanitarian supplies into the strategic city of Gori but continued their blockade, raising doubts about Russian intentions in the war-battered country.

Gori, about 45 miles west of the Georgian capital of Tbilisi, is key to when — or if — Russia will honor the terms of a cease-fire that calls for both sides to pull their forces back to the positions they held before fighting broke out last week in the separatist region of South Ossetia.

Russian forces also were in several other cities deep in Georgia, officials said.

By holding Gori, Russian forces effectively cut the country in half because the city sits along Georgia's only significant east-west highway. Russian military vehicles were blocking the eastern road into the city on Friday, although they allowed in one Georgia bus filled with loaves of bread.

"It's quiet there, but now there are problems with food," said Alexander Lomaia, the head of Georgia's national security council. He said he was able to tour the city during the night.

Georgian Interior Ministry spokesman Shota Utiashvili said Friday that there are no Russian troops in the city of Kutaisi, Georgia's second-largest city, despite reports they were headed in that direction overnight. However, he and Lomaia both said that troops remain in the Black Sea port city of Poti.

On the outskirts of Tbilisi, Georgia stepped up aid efforts at a camp for displaced people.

"We're in a difficult situation, but our government is helping us," said Zhozhona Gogidze, a displaced person. "You know I am very ashamed, we don't have a kopeck left and I'm so hungry."

Frustrations were mounting in the capital over confusion about the cease-fire deal.

"We need to understand what the international agreement is," said Archil Rezhabidze. "All these agreements are agreed only to be broken later. We should not trust them for one minute."

In a report released Friday, Human Rights Watch said it has collected evidence of Russian warplanes using cluster bomb against civilian areas in Georgia. The international rights group urged Russia to stop using the weapons, which more than 100 nations have agreed to outlaw.

The group said Russian military aircraft killed at least 11 civilians and injured dozens in the town of Gori and the village of Ruisi. Russia's Defense Ministry denied the claim, the ITAR-Tass news agency reported, citing an unnamed official who complained that the organization gathered the information from biased witnesses.

On Thursday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said Georgia could "forget about" getting back South Ossetia and its other breakaway province, Abkhazia. The former Soviet republic remained on edge as Russia sent tank columns to search out and destroy Georgian military equipment.

Georgian officials accused Russia of sending a column of tanks and other armored vehicles toward Kutaisi, the second-largest city in Georgia, then said the convey stopped about 35 miles out.

"We have no idea what they're doing there, why the movement, where they're going," Georgian Prime Minister Lado Gurgenidze said in a telephone briefing. "One explanation could be they are trying to rattle the civilian population."

The U.S. said a move toward Kutaisi would be a matter of great concern, but two defense officials told The Associated Press the Pentagon did not detect any major movement by Russia troops or tanks. There was no immediate response from Russia itself.

"I think the world should think very carefully about what is going on here," Saakashvili said. "We need to stop everything that can be stopped now."

U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates warned Thursday that Russia was in danger of hurting relations with the U.S. "for years to come" but said he did not see "any prospect" for the use of American military force in Georgia.

___

Associated Press writers Misha Dzhindzhikhashvili and Matti Friedman in Tbilisi, Georgia; Mansur Mirovalev in Tskhinvali, Georgia; Jim Heintz and Vladimir Isachenkov in Moscow; Alexander Higgins in Geneva; Carley Petesch in New York; Matthew Lee traveling with Rice; and Terence Hunt in Washington contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press.

·
Registered
14,916 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Eyewitness: 'Shrapnel like razor blades'
Dr Vasily Gorgadze, 52, worked as a surgeon in one of the hospitals in Gori during the height of the fighting between Georgian and Russian/South Ossetian forces.

He describes what he and others have been through, and makes clear who he blames for the conflict.
"It was terrible. We had to work in the hospital under fire," he says.

"Tskhinvali and Gori are not far away from each other and we could hear the sound of shelling. But when the air bombardment started then it got really terrible.

"The wounded - both local people and soldiers - were taken to our hospital in truckloads. We could barely cope. There were loads of local people - both dead and injured.

There was no end to Russia's provocation, all year round. So Georgia had no choice but to defend itself

"Mostly they had shrapnel wounds. There were also bullet wounds, though not so many.

"I'm not sure what kind of bombs were used but the shrapnel was as sharp as razor blades. Some shrapnel pieces were really huge - I saw them penetrating concrete foundations."

Dr Gorgadze worked in Gori until he and his wife were evacuated on Monday morning. Since then, they have been living with relatives in a village near the Georgian capital, Tbilisi.

"We worked in Gori treating the wounded, but then an alarm sounded and we were urgently evacuated from the city," he said.

He said even though Russia and Georgia had agreed to withdraw troops, Gori was still under Russian control on Thursday.

"I'm in constant contact with my doctor colleagues in Gori," he said.

The Russians had pulled out on Thursday morning and by noon Georgian police had moved back in.

"But an hour later Russian troops had returned and kicked out the Georgian police. And now they are in full control of Gori," he said.

Some Georgians have said Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili was asking for trouble when he launched an assault on South Ossetia, which was allied to Moscow.

But not Dr Gorgadze.

"I blame the Russians," he says, "because it was them who provoked the whole thing. They found some South Ossetians and some Abkhazians who have agreed to play their game.

"The Russians still cannot get used to the idea that Georgia is an independent state. They still want to use us as their slaves," he says.

Asked about the destruction of the South Ossetian capital Tskhinvali, which many Ossetians have blamed firmly on Georgia's bombardment, he is adamant.

"It's not true that the Georgians have destroyed Tskhinvali. Russian troops were stationed in Tskhinvali and from their base in the city have provoked the Georgian side [over a long period]. I work in Gori and there was hardly a day when there wasn't any shelling - virtually every day we had wounded delivered to our hospital - there was no end to Russia's provocation, all year round. So Georgia had no choice but to defend itself."

However he insists that, even now, there is "practically no national animosity" between Georgians, on one hand, and Ossetians and Abkhazians on the other.

"I'm absolutely convinced that we can live together. If the Russians don't provoke the situation, Georgians, Ossetians and Abkhazians could live a normal life together," he says.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/e ... 561801.stm

Published: 2008/08/14 17:52:04 GMT

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I agree Templar. It's a shame we aren't as strong as we once were in order to make them stop & think about rebuilding "Mother Russia".
I just don't think anyone is scared of us anymore.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am not sure why you would think that a Russian General officer would be stupid enough to admit that. It seems pretty par for the course for those barbarians.

Expect the Czechs and the Ukraine (at the very least) to also want in on the deal.

Screw Russia. They have never been anything other than a thorn in freedom's ass. :mad:

·
Banned
698 Posts
This should not be a suprize to anybody that pays attention to reality news.

The reality is the Russians have been rearming and re equiping for years. Putin has been a Dictator since the day he achieved power and Putin is now revealing that Russia is STILL a totalitarian terror state intent on expansion by force.

Welcome to the new old Russia.

This is going to get much worse very quickly.

And oh yeah, Russian made AMMO is going to vanish from the USA marketplace real quick. As will all things Russian. There will be trade restrictions very soon if the Russians don't back off......and the Russians are not going to do that.

·
Banned
698 Posts
Oh yeah, the Russains are even now telling their people that the USA is about to start a WAR against the Russians in the Ukraine.

We may be witnessing the beginning of TEOTWAWKI.

:shock:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Russian forces have seized a "large arsenal" of U.S.-made weapons in the western Georgian city of Senaki including hundreds of assault rifles, a military spokesman said Friday.

"In Senaki, we seized a large arsenal of weapons including 664 U.S.-made M-16 rifles" and a number of M-40 sniper rifles, General Anatoly Nogovitsyn told a news conference in Moscow. "There were 1,728 weapons total."
Translation: Stay the fuck out of our border states, USA.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss...

M_P

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
georgia

I beleive that if we weren't tided up in the gulf the response would be different.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Oh no..I have family in poland!!

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
i think we should pull out of afghanastan and draw forces from iraq(not the persian gulf) and put those punks in their place.

i cant believe bush was dumb enough to trust putin. you NEVER trust a communist. they are liars.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Less than one tenth of the US Army is commited right now. We have plenty of troops to go around without having to pull anyone off of the war on terror. :neutral:

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The REAL SHTF is going to come over this missle shield in Poland. As I understand it we may be stationing troops there. If so the stakes will be raised considerably, first shell to hit an American installation and it will be WW III or if the diplomats can salvage anything, at the very least a swift and sure return to the old cold war. Just my .02

·
Registered
392 Posts
IMO we need to stay out of Poland and the other former Soviet satellites. We should support their desire to join Nato but thats it. I think we all know Israel will take out any possible nuclear threat before they'd even be able to put it on a ICBM, etc.

·
Registered
446 Posts
catsailer40 said:
i think we should pull out of afghanastan and draw forces from iraq(not the persian gulf) and put those punks in their place.

i cant believe bush was dumb enough to trust putin. you NEVER trust a communist. they are liars.
yep beach slap them commie punks.

·
Registered
703 Posts
It's the end of the world as we know it...

Our elected officials are nothing but tools. The US needs to support these countries like Poland and Georgia to join Nato. Then we need to back the fock off and secure our own country.

·
Registered
798 Posts
SVORay said:

Our elected officials are nothing but tools. The US needs to support these countries like Poland and Georgia to join Nato. Then we need to back the fock off and secure our own country.
best quote ever...

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
ak47762 said:
SVORay said:

best quote ever...
:hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:
It's as simple as that.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.