AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Grandfather was a first generation American from Italian decent, bar owner, and ex beer delivery driver in San Francisco in the early days. He had passed away a decade ago. I am waiting for my Uncles to provide me with a bit more of the gun's history. I believe that my Grandfather carried the gun when he drove the beer trucks. I remember seeing the gun throughout my lifetime.

This weekend, at my belated wedding reception, 3 of my uncles presented me with his pistol as a gift. A Beretta mod 70 of approx 1964 vintage based on the date code and 3 digit serial number. Like the shotgun I had received of my Grandfathers some years earlier, the Beretta is in poor shape, but I am proud to have it. Inspecting the pistol shows a poorly cared for finish. The gun as I received it could not be disassembled. Upon further inspection I found that at some point the gun had been dropped on the rear of the slide while in slide lock. The slide rails had been lightly peened from the fall with just a bit of the metal curled inward preventing the slide from moving forward off of the frame. I lightly honed the rails and now the pistol breaks down as it should. It is a sturdy, smooth pistol in firing condition. I will shoot it today.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
That's a beauty. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
Very cool, no doubt that gun spent a lot of time riding around in your Grandpop's front pocket.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I fired the gun today. I fired the six rounds that were in the magazine with a capacity of 9?. It shot beautifully. Fed all rounds perfectly. As a single action only gun, it has a great trigger. Light recoil, and very smooth. I will get some hollow points and carry it as my Grandfather I believe did, albiet, legally this time.

·
Super Moderator
25,780 Posts
Very cool story, and a neat pistol. Is there a date on the barrel?

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think it's a wonderful gun. The fact that it's your Grandfather's, and the presentation from your Uncles, makes it that much better. I have a couple of WWII M1934's, but I haven't found a Model 70 cheap enough for me to buy.

I'd replace the recoil spring. They're dirt cheap and old recoil springs are the main cause of malfunctions or damage to a gun. Cheap and easy insurance.

If you're actually going to carry a .32ACP, I'd recommend sticking to good ball ammo. HP's tend not to work in that caliber, and you want as much penetration as you can get to reach something vital. It's not exactly a powerhouse. I've tried as many different .32 brands of ammo I could find, and I have found Fiocchi to be the best. Uniformity, quality, accuracy and reliability.

Your gun has a great combination of character, sentiment, and quality. A gun like that is the most enjoyable firearm to have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts