AK Rifles banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I posted this on AR15.com as well.

I received one of the BDM mags to beta test over the weekend. I was at a family reunion this weekend and didn't get home until mid afternoon, but decided that I had to get out to the range today for a quick test.

The gun used was an AKT-98 that I bought 3.5 years ago. It has all of the "tweaks" done to it (properly set the ejector screw, plug gas tube, dust cover, etc.).

First impressions of the mag were great. Mine was smoke colored. It looks like the BDM wide body Ciener mags, and quality is the same. The mag is about 1.5" longer than the AKT-98 mag that SOG sells. When locked in the rifle it reminded me of what a Galil mag looks like. My mag had the bolt hold open follower as well - this I really like. The mag fit very tight in the mag well - which I also like. There was no movement at all when locked into the mag. As posted in another review, you could see the rubbing on the mag caused by the tight fit. As I used the mag it got easier to insert and take out of the rifle, so it is kind of like "custom fitting" the mag to your rifle.

Range conditions: I have an outdoor range. It was 84 degrees and very humid - my shooting glasses fogged up as soon as I put them on! I was shooting standing, kneeling and prone.

I didn't have the most time for shooting - I fired a total of 227 rounds. Here are my results.

CCI Blazer 40 grain lead round nose. 20 rounds fired. One double (not the mags fault - my AKT does not like Blazers, but I wanted to try it anyway).

Federal American Eagle 40 grain lead round nose. 20 rounds fired. Zero problems.

Winchester Wildcats 40 grain lead round nose. 20 rounds fired. Zero problems.

Winchester Xpert Bulk Pack 36 grain lead hollow point. 20 rounds fired. Zero problems.

Remington High Velocity Golden Bullet 40 grain yellow coated. 20 rounds fired. Zero problems.

Remington Golden Bullet Bulk Pack 36 grain yellow coated. 42 rounds fired. One jam - the spent case was caught between the bolt face and the chamber.

Federal Champion Bulk Pack 36 grain copper washed. 85 rounds fired. 5 failures to feed. However, these happened early in my testing. As the mag was broken in I fired 65 rounds with 2 failures. All failures happened when the mag was almost empty (less then 5 rounds remaining in the mag). I use this type of ammo for most of my .22 plinking, so I concentrated on this brand the most.

So I had a total of 6 jams out of 227 rounds. Before getting the BDM mag I would get as many jams (or more) in 100 rounds. Plus I was able to do two things with my AKT that I never had the chance to do before: fire more than 9 rounds before the mag is empty, and rapid fire. I did a 20 round mag dump with the Champion Bulk Pack, pulling the trigger as fast as I could, with not one jam.

Final thoughts: I will be buying more of these mags for my AKT. I hope that BDM makes these mags available in 10 round capacities for the guys in ban states as well. I am convinced that the horrible mags available for these rifles account for the majority problems that people have. Having a good mag in the rifle makes all of the difference.

Also, Kevin has mags available for sale. I ordered 5 more for myself this morning.

Thanks!

Brad

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Well I'm going to give them a try. I just ordered 6, they said they had around 100 left. They should be receiving more next week. The phone number is 208-585-6581, their website is down at the moment blackdogmachinellc.net.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi guys, Kevin from BDM here. I have about 35 AKT-98/WASR mags from the first run. We made the mold cavity .010 thinner to loosen it up a bit. I am going to run 500 more starting monday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts