AK Rifles banner

Another 1960 Izzy Kit

3K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  JimmyC 
#1 ·
Got a new one. Had no idea they numbered every single part of the trigger group.
Wood Automotive exterior Musical instrument accessory Auto part Bumper

Brown Wood Musical instrument Grey Shotgun

Auto part Fashion accessory Electric blue Composite material Metal

Hand Automotive tire Eyewear Finger Material property

Automotive tire Wood Bicycle saddle Shotgun Bumper

Gesture Wood Flooring Nail Thumb

Tool Wood Finger Bumper Hardwood

Gesture Finger Wood Thumb Wrist

Hand Automotive tire Finger Bumper Rim

Hand Hand tool Gesture Finger Tool

See less See more
#4 ·
I thought that too when I first saw the dark color, but there's no way those proofs would have survived refinishing like they did. After seeing other '60 and '61 examples that retain proofs but have very dark wood, I can't help but think that was just a phase of Izhmash production that they transitioned out of. Banged up as it may be, that furniture and the kit in general is amazing!

pp

#15 ·
Sauer, Atlantic, Moka. A quick Google search will bring them up. Snag them ASAP i don’t think we will see them for a very long time. Tulas are already out of stock, except for a 1967 kit at Sauer Supply (last Tula).
I’d highly recommend doing hand select. After ordering another kit today, Matt said they have less than 100 kits left.

#25 ·
Any ideas for touching up the areas near the rear trunnion that got some torch damage from the sparks?

The finish is almost certain to be shellac, so anyone tried brushing some thinned shellac or straight denatured alcohol to blend it in? Shellac is very forgiving and you should be able to touch up small areas and melt into the surrounding finish.

#26 ·
For me refinishing it’s a sacrilege (personal opinion) as far as linseed oil that’s just a treatment so I don’t consider it a refinishing procedure. I’d just go with some of that but you’re free to do what you wish of course! These kits have all been overcooked anyways. But maybe someone else can elaborate and has a better option that won’t ruin the wood?

#27 ·
I don't want to remove any original finish, just fix the areas that go the cinder/spark damage.

I also wanted to touch up some of nicks/dings in the wood. No way your steaming those out as it will remove the original finish. Someone suggested mixing up some matching stain, dabbing into the damaged area with a toothpick or something and then the same with a little amber shellac. Sounds like a promising idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.