AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at buying some ammo from a guy i know. fmj w/ copper wash casing. headstamp is 621 over 71. Now ive searched high and low but im not coming up w/ any known headstamps on 7.62x39 ammo that have 621. I understand that 71 would be the year of manufacture. Can anyone help out?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
my best guess would be Chinese ammo. it is the only stuff that I have personally seen wit ha copper washed seal in 7.62x39. it is probably corrosive and steel core as well.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
samhain138 said:
im looking at buying some ammo from a guy i know. fmj w/ copper wash casing. headstamp is 621 over 71. Now ive searched high and low but im not coming up w/ any known headstamps on 7.62x39 ammo that have 621. I understand that 71 would be the year of manufacture. Can anyone help out?

Russia and China both used copper washed steel case ammo. I have 539 Russian copper washed ammo (539= Tula), but I have not heard of 621. It may be a Chinese ammo plant that was small but kicked up production due to Vietnam (1971 being the date) since Chinese military ammo was imported in far far far greater numbers than Russian.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
getting pretty pumped up about this. i pulled a bullet, its just over an inch long w/ boat tail. I used a cutoff wheel and cut the casing off the bullet, and its for sure steel core.

Just to see the difference, i also cut the casing off a wolf round. the lead under the casing has a much bigger diameter than the steel core rounds. I didnt mic them but it appears to be about 1.25 times the size in diameter of the steel core bullet.....just cool to compare i guess

heres the interesting part. the guy is willing to trade me 3k rounds of it for a horton HD200 crossbow. i think its a sweet deal.

ill try to post pics of the ammo and one of the pulled bullet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts