AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now is the time to ask a legit question that all of us must have pondered more than a few times in our lives. The events of 2014 was a tsunami of a reality check. The panic buying, the hoarding of ammo, and the drought that followed. Prices went through the roof but that did not stop people from buying ammo they would never use. So the question is my fellow AK artists: How much ammo do you need to be sitting on to not to feel the urge to buy over priced, and not even mil spec, ammo? Would 10k of AK 124 gr. mil spec FMJ be considered a reasonable stash? Maybe the icing on the cake would be an additional 10k of AK 124 gr, mil spec Soft Point? Maybe 10k rds. is low on the spectrum. You tell me what your comfort level is. Everyone is right and nobody is wrong. And, we are talking theoretical here not what you actually have for the purpose of this discussion.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Between 5 and 10 k of tula/wolf/RAS FMJ keeps me a happy camper.....i am not worried about the russians storming the beaches of the new jersey shore,snookie will stop them. I have enough to slow an assault by zombies and/or hoodrats . I more fear brandon or my joisey governor taking what i have by edict .

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
depends on how much you shoot.
some people store few boxes of each caliber. others need a separate moving truck just for the ammo alone when they move.
i have few k of each of my common calibers. but i don't shoot whole a lot so hence why i still have it. some folks go shooting every week and blow through 1-2 hundred rounds per trip. at this rate 1k not gonna last you long. i, mostly, buy when i see a good sale price, but that has not been the case for the last three years, so i haven't gotten any.
general rule of thumb for me is to buy as much as budget allows without going into debt. ammo lasts a long time and you can always count on the fact that it will cost more couple of years down the line.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
depends on how much you shoot.
some people store few boxes of each caliber. others need a separate moving truck just for the ammo alone when they move.
i have few k of each of my common calibers. but i don't shoot whole a lot so hence why i still have it. some folks go shooting every week and blow through 1-2 hundred rounds per trip. at this rate 1k not gonna last you long. i, mostly, buy when i see a good sale price, but that has not been the case for the last three years, so i haven't gotten any.
general rule of thumb for me is to buy as much as budget allows without going into debt. ammo lasts a long time and you can always count on the fact that it will cost more couple of years down the line.
It is funny you mention a separate moving truck just for ammo. My neighbor passed away, God rest his soul, and his son had to rent a box truck with a liftgate to load the pallets of ammo his dad had bought and stored away. We bought several wooden cases of spam cans to help lighten the load.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
yeah, same here. one of the club members, elderly gentleman, asked to help moving. few people showed up. he had a 2-car garage and it was full of ammo crates and cans. there was no space to put cars in there, like at all. some stuff in the back was not seen for 50+ years. when we got to it he was genuinely surprised he had it, since he didn't shoot the caliber and never had a guns for it. took 5 of us half a day to re-inventory and load it all on the truck all. He had to get a big truck because how heavy that shit was. he told us for our troubles we each could get as much ammo as we can carry in one trip to the our cars 3-4 hundred yards up the street. I took one ammo can of greek 30-06 surplus. i didn't know him personally so i didn't feel like i should abuse his kindness. but now i feel i was too modest. other dudes took 5 times as much and he didn't seem to mind. he wasn't gonna sell any of it, some people asked him right there and than. But there is no way he would have shot it all even if he blew through a case every week at the range. not with his health and age anyways. his life force would run out before his ammo would. i wonder what happened to it. he was already widowed and didn't look like his children were around to help with anything for a long time. that was probably 10 y. a. i still have dozen clips of that old greek surplus 30-06 from him, somewhere in my stash.

·
Registered
AKM and AK-74 enthusiast
191 Posts
I believe that at the bare minimum, a reserve of 1,000 rounds for each weapon in NATO calibers is a good number. The idea is that there is enough ammo to fight a war if necessary, but more importantly, defending against raids on your supplies, and hunting to keep food on the table. If SHTF and the need arises to fight a war, there's going to be plenty of battlefield pickups to be had.

For weapons that are not NATO calibers, I think sitting on 5,000+ is a better bet, as there won't be any more regular supply when SHTF. At that point the ammo should be used strategically for survival purposes and if/when the time comes, to score yourself one of those battlefield pickups.

Another reason to have several thousand is for bartering. Cash is going to be useless, and I believe ammo will be one of the new currencies in the event of a collapse. If you have more than enough for your own purposes, trading some off for items you are lacking won't put you in a bad spot, and now you know at least your neighbor or whoever, has some ammo to help with security.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe that at the bare minimum, a reserve of 1,000 rounds for each weapon in NATO calibers is a good number. The idea is that there is enough ammo to fight a war if necessary, but more importantly, defending against raids on your supplies, and hunting to keep food on the table. If SHTF and the need arises to fight a war, there's going to be plenty of battlefield pickups to be had.

For weapons that are not NATO calibers, I think sitting on 5,000+ is a better bet, as there won't be any more regular supply when SHTF. At that point the ammo should be used strategically for survival purposes and if/when the time comes, to score yourself one of those battlefield pickups.

Another reason to have several thousand is for bartering. Cash is going to be useless, and I believe ammo will be one of the new currencies in the event of a collapse. If you have more than enough for your own purposes, trading some off for items you are lacking won't put you in a bad spot, and now you know at least your neighbor or whoever, has some ammo to help with security.
I believe you just spelled out chapter and verse an excellent blueprint of a "SHTF Ammo To Do List". And you are so right about bartering. Literally paper money could be worthless overnight. You are a wise man.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
20k if you shoot auto, 10k semi per caliber

Don’t over pay though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: alphabet

·
Registered
53 Posts
I toss and turn in bed at night asking myself this question! I have a couple thousand rounds each of many many calibers. I only have about 300rds each of some of the more boutique calibers.

part of me says “this is enough to hold it down” but the little guy on my shoulder (not sure if it’s the red or the white one) says it’s not enough. In a war scenario it’s true that ammo will likely be made available. It’s likely enough to run defense against any roving gangs for some time. Would last a while if used judiciously in the Z event. Wouldn’t stand a chance in a NATO confrontation or similar, but would 50k rounds of each caliber help against that?

Additionally, how much food are people storing? What types of medicines and trauma kits are people collecting?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I never can nail down what is enough for me. Through planning I'm able shoot either every week or every other week and less during the winter.

In tougher times a range session might just be a few rounds through my old surplus rifles, my long range rigs or fun shooters. I aways bring my carry main pistol and home defense Rifle/Carbine to fire even fewer rounds through them to check zero and stay current. No mag dumps but rather solid training.

On a side note, I really like dry fire training. It costs nothing but time and effort, and helps with muscle memory. I try to get some dry fire practice in at least twice a week on my carry firearms. If I'm planning on a hunt or shooting long range steel shooting dry fire has always helped. I also like to clear my handgun and do a couple dry fire draws and trigger presses before I go out for the day as I carry everyday.

In short if I find a reasonable deal on ammo or components I buy. No need to go crazy and bust your budget for other monthly expenses. Put a percentage of your income away each month and be ready to buy.

A longer answer is I have been working on ammo stockpiling for a while. In my teens Ruby Ridge and Waco happened. I wanted to be self sufficient as far as ammo. I continued to build my ammo fort through the Chicom ammo ban, the 94 AWB, Y2K and other panics and bans since. My advice it still to buy what you can when you can afford it as far as commercial and surplus ammo. Nothing is getting cheaper. Also think about storage space.

Another thing everyone in my opinion should do is get into reloading. I was a bit scared of reloading but gave it a go around late 05 or 06. It really has paid for itself. Currently I'm reloading for about twenty calibers and gauges, except for .22lr. Basically, everything I shoot. It might take me a couple of nights after work to pump out 1k of 9mm at under $7 per 50 rounds but it is so worth it.

Feeling free to not have to participate in bans and panics is a good thing.

We have a pretty good ammo and reloading forum with helpful members. I'd suggest asking more questions there.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Concur with the comments. Ironically, the media thinks 200 rounds is an “arsenal” or “stockpile”.
Way back before Sandy Hook even, I was trolling NYT, or one of those things.
The "Terrorist" in question had 2000rds, I think it was. The question was, "Why does anyone need THAT many bullets?".
One lone reply, "Practice."
Those on the outside, looking in, won't get it.
ANY is too many.
About that time I found a "Prepper" site that advised 10K/semi-auto 5K/bolt action
I termed this as per unit. My partner read it as per caliber. So even within the understanding, there's discrepency.
We/I compromised. And did both.

Reactions: alphabet

·
Registered
183 Posts
Life changes are something to consider. I had to move across country for work and had about 20,000 rounds of various calibers. Moving companies generally won’t take ammo. The obvious solution was a rental truck and haul it myself. That option wasn’t feasible for me (it was just myself moving and I have issues driving long distances on interstates). I did manage to drive my vehicle to the new location, but could only bring a portion of ammo. The rest sits in storage. At some point I’ll figure something out to get it here.

One the bright side I now live in a truly free state… Missouri. 👍👍

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I toss and turn in bed at night asking myself this question! I have a couple thousand rounds each of many many calibers. I only have about 300rds each of some of the more boutique calibers.

part of me says “this is enough to hold it down” but the little guy on my shoulder (not sure if it’s the red or the white one) says it’s not enough. In a war scenario it’s true that ammo will likely be made available. It’s likely enough to run defense against any roving gangs for some time. Would last a while if used judiciously in the Z event. Wouldn’t stand a chance in a NATO confrontation or similar, but would 50k rounds of each caliber help against that?

Additionally, how much food are people storing? What types of medicines and trauma kits are people collecting?
You bring up seriously valid points to pose relating to "comfort level": How much food? What types of food? Water? Medicines? Trauma kits? Our nation is rolling into uncharted territory economically and socially, a very bad combination. The numerous pop-up riots not too long ago proved just how fast things can get wildly out of control. Grocery stores, pharmacies, gun stores, liquor stores are looted, picked clean and burned to the ground. This really happened and the same people responsible for the riots are threatening to do all over again. It looks like I need to expand the header to include food, water, medicine, BLS kits too. Thanks for your valuable input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts