AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All
I was reading another post a bit ago about long term storage of ammo. One of the quotes got me to thinking. Has anyone ever put one of the oxygen absorbers that prepers are using for food storage into an ammo can to suck the air out of the can? Would it work or is there some potential danger that I am not seeing?

Thanks
Old Sarge

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me. Not sure how it would affect ammo any. Doubt it would have a negative result. I dont live in a generally moist area so its not really an issue but I keep it in mind anyway.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
They absorb moisture/water right? Not oxygen I believe. So I would imagine it can only help, not hurt.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Oxygen should not be a problem for ammo unless there is a high level of moisture along with it. Then you'll have corrosion. You'd be better off packing ammo with a good dessicant to bring the moisture level way down. Cool, dry and minimal movement is all you need.

·
Registered
27 Posts
A reasonably good desiccant should give you a low relative humidity % in a sealed container. They're effective and inexpensive - they can be recharged.

You can always test a few rounds in a container to check for effectiveness as well.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Some good information here on this thread. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts