AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty,
On the "other" board, some are talking of the possibility of a trade embargo on Russia due to their Georgia mess. Some are saying that if that happens there will be no good supply of quality mil-spec 7.62x39 and that it would be smart to purchase an AK in 5.56. How does everyone feel about this? I ask because I already have a 5.45 on the way, and I'm planning on purchasing a 7.62 as well. However, if the prospects look really grim on ammo, I might consider a SLR-106. On the other hand, I thought Bulgaria was making 7.62?

Hmmmmm

·
Registered
339 Posts
alot of countries send out ammo. and there is already a supply of ammo in the states. plus i doubt a trade embargo yet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heimdal said:
I think the other board wants you to buy an ar15 :lol:
I think with four currently built, and five lower receivers waiting, I'm stocked up just fine....

Ohhhhhhhh I see what you did there, Sherlock. You're a pretty fart smeller. :wink:

·
Registered
512 Posts
There is no embargo and there won't be one. But even if it did happen, there are plenty of countries making mil-spec 7.62x39. Romania and Bulgaria for instance. Romanian 7.62x39 is already being imported under the Hotshot brand at similar prices to Russian ammo. If Russian stuff became impossible to import, Wolf USA would import stuff from Bulgaria or whoever else was willing to fill their contracts. It might go up slightly in price, but it's not as if the Russian stuff hasn't! The Russians are already fucking us in the ass - charging us twice what they did three years ago when we all know damn well it isn't costing them twice as much to make.

Anyway it makes no difference. The rules of economics state that when there is a demand for something, an enterprise will enter the market to fill that demand. If suddenly it was impossible to find steel-cased 7.62x39, some importer will capitalize on the situation, import some from a different country and we'll have cheap ammo again.

That's exactly what happened with Chinese stuff.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Trumpet said:
Alrighty,
On the "other" board, some are talking of the possibility of a trade embargo on Russia due to their Georgia mess. Some are saying that if that happens there will be no good supply of quality mil-spec 7.62x39 and that it would be smart to purchase an AK in 5.56. How does everyone feel about this? I ask because I already have a 5.45 on the way, and I'm planning on purchasing a 7.62 as well. However, if the prospects look really grim on ammo, I might consider a SLR-106. On the other hand, I thought Bulgaria was making 7.62?

Hmmmmm
I was curious about the same thing! It would suck if there were no foreign made 7.62 x 39

T :neutral:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I always pick up the reloadable brass when I go to the range. It always surprises me to see someone shooting expensive brass and just leaving it on the ground.

·
Registered
297 Posts
loki said:
Romanian 7.62 in sealed tins for $139 per 700.

I ain't worried.
I chose to stock up a bit on 7.62, just incase. If nothing happens, I'm not out one dime (unless ammo prices drop from here which I seriously doubt). If the ammo imports from Russia were banned, there would be no such thing as Romanian at $139, but maybe if you transposed the numbers a little you'd be getting close.

Or course everyone is free to do as they wish, but I remember when Yugo 8mm was available at 6 cents/rounds and 7.62 NATO was 20 cents/round. That was not that long ago. No one was worried back then either.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Its not cheap, but neither is Wolf, there's plenty of Romanian and Yugoslavian 7.62x39 out there.

I'd go 5.45 before getting a 5.56 AK :wink:

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
heimdal said:
I think the other board wants you to buy an ar15 :lol:
Hell, I got banned from there talking about a shortage on ammo!!! :neutral:

·
Banned
1,547 Posts
i wonder what it would cost, with permits, govt approval stuff, licenses, building, land, tooling, etc to get an operation up here in the US making a product similar to wolf, or possibly a little better. i think that making that ammo here and not paying shipping, importers handling fees and other stuff would put the US made ammo in a little cheaper than the russian stuff. our labor costs would probably make it close to the russian ammo, but hell if given the choice to buy at the same price, id take steel cased american ammo vs steel cased russian.

you hire a couple regional sales folks, and have a sales division, and cut out all the middle men and keep the price as low as possible, while still turning a nice profit.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
Chicken Little Syndrome IMHO.

People say 'what if' on a web forum, and it spreads like wildfire to every other similar web forum and then is referenced as fact 'becuase I read it on several other forums.'

A good example of this is the whole 'Romanian AK's no longer being imported' nonsense that Classic Arms started.

·
Super Moderator
25,849 Posts
JOHNO said:
Its not cheap, but neither is Wolf, there's plenty of Romanian and Yugoslavian 7.62x39 out there.

Yugo 7.62x39 is good stuff! +100 on 5.45x39!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JOHNO said:

Already working on that one :wink:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Leper said:
I always pick up the reloadable brass when I go to the range. It always surprises me to see someone shooting expensive brass and just leaving it on the ground.
yup me to, even if it's a caliber i don't reload.

·
Registered
11,437 Posts
The Czech Republic
Korea
Romania
Serbia
Italy

And in America, we have Winchester and Remington.

Its still made, still imported, still used. All those guys who cry about 5.56 being around forever because it is still made don't seem to be able to grasp the concept that the same is true for the 7.62x39mm... and its cheaper.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Every 5.56 AK I've every owned, including milled Arsenals, has been a jam-o-matic piece of SHIT.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts