AK Rifles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the last $7.99 Rommy stock set from centerfire, its not to bad of shape but is dull and scratched. I am just using the dong foregrip.

I assum I should sand it down to take off the old finish, what grits paper?

Also the Aims-74 has a light colored lower, what should I use on the would for stain/and shine?

· Registered
67 Posts
Well I good start is to get some acetone and soak it to remove any previous shellac or stains and such. then I always start with low grit to dig deep then end with start with 100 then 150 then 220 and that is what I use sometimes I will go a bit finer to get more shine but it is harder to stain the wood I have found (takes more time) I think because the surface is almost polished after some good work. if you take your time it can turn out awesome. I have to ask now though what are you looking for a standard oil finish or a red stain with poly to make her shiny? need an idea of what you are trying to do a pic of what your wanting will get more responses to get you in the correct direction

· Registered
67 Posts
the sanding will be the same but for that finish that looks more like an amber shellac and this one I haven't done but if you do a search on this forum there used to be some decent info for mixing and getting the colors for it. I will update the post with links if I find them. The shellac that says amber on the can will already be the color your looking for no mixing unless you don't like the color always start on a test peice of wood make sure that is what you want to finish with.
this one shows what to buy and it works I have seen it on guns I haven't used it though its supposed to be easier than poly so follow the instructions on the can and go from there good luck.
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=67898.0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.