AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is the best American made chrome-lined AK74 barrel? I have read Green Mountain are best but what about EES and Interarms barrels? Thank you very much in advance for any information.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Im not sure about the other 2 but my GM chrome lined is an awsome barrel on my 74!!

UTTAS

·
Registered
536 Posts
Out of what you listed I do have experience with GM 7.62x39 CL barrels and they're GTG. I can't remember which company is doing nitrided '74 barrels, but that may be something to look into.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Did you have any fitting issues with the components at the journal locations?
No the builder said there was zero issues and went together really easy.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have a 74 built with a non chromed green mountain barrel, it has never had problems with key-holes or anything, and has been very accurate, but it rusts easily and the barrel was quite soft when i built it. I am looking for some input on the USA chrome lined barrels, with special attention to the quality and thickness of the chrome lining. I dont like the way some sites that sell them say "chrome lined" in quotes like that. I have been tempted by one of the classicarms barrels. 99$ vs 275$ for a chrome lined barrel is attractive if the dimensions on the bore and rifling is correct. This bore/land/grove ID has been an issue because USA blanks are usually not ever made with a 5.4mm bore but rather a 5.6-5.7mm bored blank, and then simply cut with a 5.56 broach or a custom one that still left the lands too deep. this was the problem with many many century sourced barrels with their first 5.45 project, the tantals. I just have not put in the work to measure various US barrels lately to know if this is no longer a practice when making 5.45 barrels here. As above the chroming process here also concerns me.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
I have a 74 built with a non chromed green mountain barrel, it has never had problems with key-holes or anything, and has been very accurate, but it rusts easily and the barrel was quite soft when i built it. I am looking for some input on the USA chrome lined barrels, with special attention to the quality and thickness of the chrome lining. I dont like the way some sites that sell them say "chrome lined" in quotes like that. I have been tempted by one of the classicarms barrels. 99$ vs 275$ for a chrome lined barrel is attractive if the dimensions on the bore and rifling is correct. This bore/land/grove ID has been an issue because USA blanks are usually not ever made with a 5.4mm bore but rather a 5.6-5.7mm bored blank, and then simply cut with a 5.56 broach or a custom one that still left the lands too deep. this was the problem with many many century sourced barrels with their first 5.45 project, the tantals. I just have not put in the work to measure various US barrels lately to know if this is no longer a practice when making 5.45 barrels here. As above the chroming process here also concerns me.
Some options available here:
Arms Of America - Barrels

Might give them a call with your concerns

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I have also used a Green Mountain chrome-lined 7.62x39 and besides them being one of the nicest companies to deal with, the barrel was excellent. Everything fit nice and snugly when pressed on. It gave me hell when I was drilling the gas port though. It was one tough bastard.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well, i sprung for one of the AKM Chrome lined barrels. First, i will say that the machining is good, but the chamber profile area is east German, being tapered.
The chrome lining, if you can call it that, is very very dull, and somewhat rough looking. it appears to be very thin, and is not shiny. I have had Romanian barrels that i have sand blasted, with 40 Grit volcanic glass, where it was literally tearing into the steel, but the chrome lining artifacts at the chamber and crown were shiny as glass and untouched, same for gas pistons that are chromed, the carrier gets chewed into by heavy grit media, where the piston simply remains shiny and just gets cleaned of any surface carbon ect...

I have had another member mention that on one of the ESS/AOA or Atlantic barrels that the lining media blasted right off. I hope this is not the case with my green mountain.

The plus to this barrel is the machining inside and out is excellent, the bore is the correct dia with the groves measuring .311, and the rifling is true soviet pattern right hand 4 groves measuring about 3.7mm wide , 1 in 9.45 twist. Other US barrels i have measured such as ESS and AK Builder were wrong in that they were all six grove, with a shallower .309 ID grove, and a thinner and incorrect approx 2.9 mm wide grove, also with an incorrect 1 in 9, and/or 1 in 10 twist depending on the source and time frame sourced.

The Green Mountain is by far the best i have seen save for the east German looking taper on the chamber end where it presses into the trunnion rather than the rebated rim/ring of the Soviet pattern, and the seemingly thin and unpolished appearing chrome lining. All of the rifling grove, bore throat, and chamber dimensions are 100% spot on replicas for a Romanian/Soviet spec barrel, unlike any other USA barrel i have ever seen which are all proprietary or simplified/americanized with the funky grove width and two extra groves, shortened or lengthened throats, tighter chambers, funky American twist rates, and shallower bores. I will be testing this us 'chrome lining' against a euro barrel for corrosion and cleaning once i get this one built up. If the chrome lining wears in and holds up this will be a damn good Soviet, and a near PERFECT east German spec'd barrel, save for the addition of the small 'feed ramp' that exists on some very late model x39 factory guns which could be added with an end mill at the proper angle. The barell also appears much harder than the ESS and AKbuilder that i simply tested with a nail set/center punch. i don't have a Rockwell tester, but damn the ESS barell i got from copes two years back was dead soft to the center punch. The hammer forging of the polish barrel i tested against of coarse was harder. this comes from the fact that all us barrels , no matter how hard or dimensionally accurate, will never have the case hardened/work hardened surfaces that are the result of forging. they (the US ones) may definitely be more dimensionally consistent on their bores, which in theory is better for accuracy all other things being equal, as they are all button rifled which holds much more consistent internal bore dimensions than hammer forging does.

Sorry for being long winded, i hope i helped some people with the seemingly scarce info on these things.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Type 56-1,

Great review and thanks for that. I have 2 GMB on my 47 and 74 and seem to work very well. I hope your firing results worked out as well as mine!!

UTTAS

·
Technical Advisor
16,056 Posts
I have not heard, read or experienced and US 5.45 bore size issues in a couple of years. US barrel makers have experience in chrome lining barrels. Though I have not cast a bore., I have had good luck with Green Mountain in various calibers and in chrome and non chrome. I'm not sure what significance you place on a seller putting the "chrome lined" in parenthesis??? If you are really that concerned., wait for a K-VAR barrel sale and they general sell the milspec CHF Bulgy 5.45 barrels for $150-$179 each.
I find the GM and other USA made barrels as well as Zastava milsurp barrels to be sifter than commbloc CHF barrels. They are slightly more accurate in my experience as well.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
I picked up a 5,45 tantal barrel for a replacement to a missized century barrel. Fit was perfect, accuracy is great, but I was surprised how soft the barrel was in putting it through the drill press for the pins. After dealing with the much harder barrels it makes you panic a little at first but so far so good! Probably 2K through the new barrel and zero issues.

ETA: The barrel was purchased from AKB so I'm not sure of the manufacturer and is CL.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Let's see some pictures of that AK12 kit.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Thanks. That's going to be an awesome build. What receiver are you going to use?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I think your most viable option is a virgin Bulgarian barrel.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts