AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm debating whether to get a AMD65 or Romy AK numbers match AK. Both are in great condition I just don't know enough what to pick, any suggestions or info is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Assuming equally good build quality, it would come down to which stock you prefer.

Some people complain about not getting a good cheek weld with the AMD but my response is that I learned a long time ago to shoot without the painfully sounding cheek weld and have fired thousands of rounds very accurately with my AMD-65.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd get get both, I did get both, I built both, I love to shoot both, Hint, Hint, Hint,,,, Hell Yes,, you should get both! 🤣 View attachment 339444

View attachment 339445 🤣
See thats what I like I hate short barrels that's why I just got an RPK, that AMD looks great with a longer barrel, if it didn't have the 12.7 barrel I would have picked it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Assuming equally good build quality, it would come down to which stock you prefer.

Some people complain about not getting a good cheek weld with the AMD but my response is that I learned a long time ago to shoot without the painfully sounding cheek weld and have fired thousands of rounds very accurately with my AMD-65.
Honestly the AMD is in way better condition but it has a 12.7 inch barrel, I like 16 or longer.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
The shorter barrel is the correct one for the AMD 65. If it's a TGI rifle, that wins hands down for me. Hungarian FEG receiver and barrel. Receiver will be marked SA2000M.

If it's an OG barrel rifle built by a known builder on a receiver like Childers or Recreator, that's still the winner for me.

The 16" barrel AMD builds are actually kind of odd looking. If you don't like the short barrel, on to the Romanian:

Is it a 'factory' rifle like a WASR or SAR, or a kit build? Again, barrel and receiver used, and builder are important.

General consensus it that a rifle built by a home/unknown builder is only worth the parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The shorter barrel is the correct one for the AMD 65. If it's a TGI rifle, that wins hands down for me. Hungarian FEG receiver and barrel. Receiver will be marked SA2000M.

If it's an OG barrel rifle built by a known builder on a receiver like Childers or Recreator, that's still the winner for me.

The 16" barrel AMD builds are actually kind of odd looking. If you don't like the short barrel, on to the Romanian:

Is it a 'factory' rifle like a WASR or SAR, or a kit build? Again, barrel and receiver used, and builder are important.

General consensus it that a rifle built by a home/unknown builder is only worth the parts.
They are both parts kits but the AMD is almost new looking, the more I look into it I'm probably going with the AMD, X39 does great in short barrels especially 12-16 inch barrels, also I'm going to be building it. I want to learn smithing myself, I took apart my Glock learn how to do it myself and have almost all of my tools to take apart and clean my ARs. It's fun learning

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Also is there any kits or companies I should stay away from like the kolarms kits?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
They are both parts kits but the AMD is almost new looking, the more I look into it I'm probably going with the AMD, X39 does great in short barrels especially 12-16 inch barrels, also I'm going to be building it. I want to learn smithing myself, I took apart my Glock learn how to do it myself and have almost all of my tools to take apart and clean my ARs. It's fun learning
You've certainly got the right attitude. As with everything, there is a learning curve, ppl ask me how hard it is to build an ak, and their eyes start to glaze over by step 2. considering I start with "it's easy, first, you have to get a flat "🤯

You may want to start with a bent 80% 100% reciever 😉

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You've certainly got the right attitude. As with everything, there is a learning curve, ppl ask me how hard it is to build an ak, and their eyes start to glaze over by step 2. considering I start with "it's easy, first, you have to get a flat "🤯

You may want to start with a bent 80% 100% reciever 😉
Yeah I'm looking into that now, I have a AK bending jig but I'm most likely going with the bent 80% over a flat, less work lol but thanks for the info, I have much to learn and look into.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The AMD is what the Hungarians hated! We think its cool 😎 but for overall functionality, accuracy and comfort for your face and ears get the Romy full stock or folder if you like. But the Hungarian is a nice addition for the collector.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The AMD 65 - even one primarily made in Hungary can be all over the map, and most imported ones have a funky magwell. I got a TGI one for $400 back in the day and it went back. The mag flopped around in the magwell like a Hound's ears. They were NOT just done wrong, the well started slightly longer than usual. Other than that they were very good. Then you have parts kits ones.

I would stick to a SAR1 used on GB.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As one who has a WASR and and a AK63DS, Romy would be easier to customize, way more aftermarket options. If you’re thinking of magnified optics you’d probably be happier. But the Hungarians make good gear, it’s unique and the wire folders work for me with a nice leather wrap. I wouldn’t care whether it’s a 13” or 16” barrel. If both are kit builds I’d mainly be focused on how they’re built, assuming both are good, I think I’d have to go AMD65 on this one.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I have TGI AMD-65’s and find the stock-release button is awkward to use, but at least you won’t loose a finger like with the Russian tube folders :)

You can always install the amd65tech.com cheek-riser bar on the AMD-65 to make it slightly more comfortable, well.. as far as wire stocks go.
That AMD 65 button does kind of stink. Mine is still rather tight, though probably only folded/unfolded like 25 times.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts