AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one is my free style AK. And, this is about as radical as I want to get with an AK. It's built on a matching numbered Copes cut barrel kit. I used a $50 hungarian AKM barrel, (I'm assuming AMMS) that I also bought from Copes. The NDS-65 receiver is custom serial numbered to the kit. Compliance parts are receiver, FCG, gas piston, handguards and pistol grip. I was fortunate that all of the AMD barrel parts assembled with a good press fit on the barrel. The finish is HK Black Duracoat over park. The length of the barrel is 16.25" including the removable muzzle devise. No SBR necessary. The brake is a fake. That's just fine with me. I'm not crazy about that AMD fireball from a snake brake anyway. The two benefits I get from it are the neat looks and it doesn't hurt to have a little weight on the end of that barrel to dampen muzzle rise. I bored the AMD65 brake to where it would slip over the barrel. Then I cut the end off of a slant brake, turned the brake with the slant cut off around backwards and pressed it into the bored out muzzle end of the AMD brake. Also I have the option of putting other muzzle devises on it if I want. I used an AK47 receiver cover because I wanted the thicker metal to mount the windage adjustable AR15 receiver sight. I made a cover for the gaping hole left from the removed AK standard rear sight. And before you jump all over me about not returning to zero, hear me out. I thought of a way to make the receiver cover sight return to zero. I've tested it and it works. I will write a separate thread on it soon. I'm going to let the Duracoat cure for about 2 weeks and then do some shooting. This one should be fun.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Aww come on, what's the fun of an AK without a fireball? :lol:

Looks great man, i'm glad i caught the barrel under the brake in the last photo cause you can't tell in this one! :grin: Very well-done!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I would really like to see a write up on the rear sight/dust cover you made.

Looks great! Got any pics of it with the AMD pistol grip?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sights

Compnsaytr, read the thread "return to zero receiver cover,pics" in this forum dated 08/22. I don't know how to copy the link. The poly furniture is the only stuff I have had on theis gun. The grip and handguards are two of my compliance parts.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
EBR

I range tested her today and this thing is some kind of fun to shoot. I could not believe how accurate this gun is for an AKM. I could consistiently shoot 3" groops off of a rest at 100 yards with Golden Tiger ammo. With Wolf I got some fliers (as I always do with Wolf). I think the accuracy is because of tight headspace, the re-crown job I did on the muzzle and the AR aperature rear sight. I put a piece of 3/8" inside diameter, 1/4" wall thickness rubber tubing on the stock strut for a better cheek weld (more like chin weld) and that improves shooting somewhat. I had absolutely no jams or failures of any type and the good thing about the AMD folder is that it doesn't smack you in the head. I love this gun. It turned out to be everything I hoped it would be. After about 80 rounds at the range, when I got home I slipped in a "GO" guage and the carrier would only go to about 1/2" from fully forward, just like it did when I set the headspace. The pin went in very tight on this one, so I know the barrel will stay where it is. :grin:

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Looks great, what flavor of Duracoat did you use?

30rd mags too! :thumbsup:

t

·
Registered
124 Posts
The length of the barrel is 16.25" including the removable muzzle devise. No SBR necessary.
dont you mean not including the muzzle device? I thought it had to be permanently attached if the barrel was under 16". BTW it looks great!

OK I get it. I must be kinda slow today. Thats a great idea for a short barrel look. I think you may have started something!!!

·
Registered
577 Posts
22ZSteve said:
The length of the barrel is 16.25" including the removable muzzle devise. No SBR necessary.
dont you mean not including the muzzle device? I thought it had to be permanently attached if the barrel was under 16". BTW it looks great!
Yeah man, there is no way that barrel is 16" without the muzzle device unless it protrudes all the way through it.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I was wondering when this thread would get around to barrel length.

Since you've already finished the rifle, you should probably pin that muzzle device on there or add a fake can or something. (ASAP)

Just my .02

·
Registered
406 Posts
JinxxxOnU said:

Since you've already finished the rifle, you should probably pin that muzzle device on there or add a fake can or something. (ASAP)

Just my .02
If I read the 1st post correctly....the barrel is 16.25 inches long with the opened up amd brake sliding over the barrel and has threads on the tip,the barrel runs through the brake,thats why you can't see the through the brake.kinda like a sleeve, very ingeneous...makes it look like a short barrel amd :hail:

·
Registered
812 Posts
a-kmanator said:
JinxxxOnU said:

Just my .02
If I read the 1st post correctly....the barrel is 16.25 inches long with the opened up amd brake sliding over the barrel and has threads on the tip,the barrel runs through the brake,thats why you can't see the through the brake.kinda like a sleeve, very ingeneous...makes it look like a short barrel amd :hail:
A big +1 !! Nice work.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EBR

Thanks for the complements guys. And A-Kmanator thanks for the explanation on my legal barrel length.

·
Registered
406 Posts
No problem.....,Nice build,Hope you don't mind if i borrow your brake idea :goof: I got a few cut barrel kits too,and a bucket of romi barrels :dance:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I already read the write up on the sight/cover...

I'd like to see some close=ups of the brake/barrel, since I'm not sure I can picture what you are talking about. But I also have a cut barrel kit and romy barrel waiting... :hail:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
EBR

Compared to my AMD65. I don't miss the noise on this one at all. Basically what I did is cut the front end off of a slant brake up to where the threads start. drill out the threaded end of the AMD brake to a size that it will slip fit over the barrel where it meets the FSB. Drill out the muzzle end of the AMD brake so that you can press fit the cut off slant brake into it, muzzle end first. This way the FSB muzzle brake locking pin will engage locking the brake in position. I positioned the FSB far enough back to where the brake tightened up to lock in when the barrels muzzle was flush with the muzzle end of the AMD brake. Maybe this weekend I can get a few pics up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts