AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have pictures of a fixed stock trunnion w/stock in an AMD65 side folder receiver? I don't think it would look bad (it wouldn't look great but I'm not entering it in a fashion contest). Just an extra hole and a little notch. I'm seriously considering swapping out trunnions. The rifle needs it anyway because my current trunnion is worn out and the wire stock wobbles.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Not much to see. The whole right side will expose the void area at the receiver cut. It will be ugly and a devaluation of the rifle. But if that is what you are going to do., well>
Better solution may be to sell the AMD65 and purchase a fixed stock AKM. Just my .02.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can imagine what it would look like. Was hoping to see actual photos. It might not look that bad. This is a custom build that I did where everything is how I want it. Unfortunately the rear trunnion is worn out and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If the stock is wobbly I would try a different folding stock arm before doing a drastic change. Apex sells them. It's simple: unscrew/remove the latching piece; drive out the pivot pin; put in the new stock; re-pin and add back the latching piece.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I thought that was it at first. Replaced the stock and the pivot pin (the pin was in really bad shape). No help. I'm going back and forth between replacing it with an original AMD trunnion or a fixed stock trunnion. I have others I would sell before this one so I'm not worried about resale. It's my go to rifle.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
They say a picture is worth XXX words>

Generally the trunnion does not wear. The pivot pin, latch, latch screw, spring or stock are the culprits. The latch on an AMD is self tightening generally and tightening the latch button tightens the wedge on the latch. Dunno what you have going on.
You could paint the void area black to hide it a little. Looks like crap and devalues the firearm a significant amount IMHO. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried swapping the latch and pin off a nice solid one but no help. I think its the hole that the pivot pin is in. Probably just worn. The new pin I have goes in really easy.

Don't think I'll use a fixed stock trunnion though. Thanks for the pic!

·
Registered
34 Posts
You could drill the trunnion and stock slightly oversize and cutoff the drill bit to use as the new pivot pin... (may need to be staked afterwards to retain the pin, or even some green loctite)

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Tried swapping the latch and pin off a nice solid one but no help. I think its the hole that the pivot pin is in. Probably just worn. The new pin I have goes in really easy.

Don't think I'll use a fixed stock trunnion though. Thanks for the pic!
You can find a pin and drill bit of the next larger size than the pivot pin.. Drill the pivot hole in the trunnion and pivot block on the stock arm., then install the new pin. This would tighten the pivot. You will have to drill the top of the pin to dish it a little and then peen the top so it will not drop through the pivot block and stock.
I cannot remember if the block is two different diameters., if so you spin it in a drill press to reduce hew diameter as needed.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Any idea where to get a similar but larger pin? I had a heck of a time finding a direct replacement.
Local machine shop or fastener supply. On line at ENCO. Google., drill bits. Lots of sources but you have to be resourceful. But if you do not have tools or shop skills it might not work for you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts