AK Rifles banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I tell how old my amd is by the SN. They are not marked like the other romy's I have seen....Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
the kit i got back when they were $60 had '74' stamped by the barrel pin

i just assumed that was its date stamp

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ozwald said:
the kit i got back when they were $60 had '74' stamped by the barrel pin

i just assumed that was its date stamp
This is what I came up with on this sight:http://www.sunblest.net/gun/index.htm

Randy, mfg-related data is very limited from the communist era.I do not even have a number of the total AMD65's made.All AMD65's were originally full auto.If you have a semi-auto AMD65, your receiver was made in the USA during the last 5(?) years or so, and it has a brand new serial number.If you have a wooden pistol grip, you have a 1966-1969 made gun.They used plastic pistol grips 1970-1980.That is the best I can do, and even these years are educated estimates.Las

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dear rtg!

Do you have any identifications in your AMD? (by the way, the AMD is not romy, but hungy! This is why you are in the Hungarian forum, I think)
I fyou have some, I could ask the designer, Karoly Zala about it.
It would be actual soon anyway to talk with him, because of the new NGM/NGV article.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kalasnyikov.hu said:
Dear rtg!

Do you have any identifications in your AMD? (by the way, the AMD is not romy, but hungy! This is why you are in the Hungarian forum, I think)
I fyou have some, I could ask the designer, Karoly Zala about it.
It would be actual soon anyway to talk with him, because of the new NGM/NGV article.
Yes there are a number of markings. Yes is a true AMD 65 not a romy. Is there a spot you want to look. they are on the barrel and on the front trunion by the barrel pin hole. there might be more. Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
rtg said:
If you have a wooden pistol grip, you have a 1966-1969 made gun.They used plastic pistol grips 1970-1980.That is the best I can do, and even these years are educated estimates.Las
Forget about the wood grips already. They never came out of the factory like that. By the way the AKM-63s came with plastic since 1964 too.

Also, no offense meant but Manowar's site is mostly a product of his own imagination. I've contacted him and managed to convince him to correct some things but he won't give up on others.

(Zoli én vagyok az a fordítód ;) )

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kalasnyikov.hu said:
Hi!
A picture tells more than thousands of words...
The number on the top of the barrel is 144265 the next number on the barrel is VU 596 the stamp on the barrel in a couple of places under the gas tube on the borrom of the FSB and around the barrel pin is a number 42 inside of a circle. I hope this helps Pleas see Pic's

[/img]

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi!
Thanks!
I will send the picture to Mr. Zala.
Hope, he knows more (who else could know...?)

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
12gaugeak:

Am I understanding you correctly that AMDs were not shipped from the factory with wooden grips?

I am curious here, because I have issued many AMD-65's that were brand new from shipping crates that had wooden grips, please tell me more I am curious; were they switched out at a later date for the wood ones?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Dear KMFDM!

About wooden grips: in the first few rifles, and nowadays, the late, small series, which are set from the old part stocks, are made with wooden stuff. The most of AMDs are made with plastic, organized in the Hungarian army with plastic, but nowadays (for export, for example)there are no plastic grips. The wood grips are produceable in small series economically too. the plastic is economic only in huge series, 100.000 and more...
Well, I hope, you understand me correctly. My English is not as well as my friend's.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
kalasnyikov.hu, is there any chance that you can get new condition plastic AMD65 grips? I have a couple of parts kits that I'm going to rebuild. It sure would be nice to have new condition grips instead of the scratched plastic ones that I have now.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Kalasnyikov.Hu:

Thank you for the response, that makes sense because the crates I was issuing them from were marked: AMD 65 /3, AMD65 /5 and AMD 65 /7. The /7 crates were the ones with the wooden grips while the /3 and /5 crates had plastic grips.
Thank you for clarifying that.

Regards

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bret said:
kalasnyikov.hu, is there any chance that you can get new condition plastic AMD65 grips? I have a couple of parts kits that I'm going to rebuild. It sure would be nice to have new condition grips instead of the scratched plastic ones that I have now.
Hi!
No chance, no hope. There are a lot of plastic gripped AMD which are transformed to gas/alarm (only legal in Hungary) by www.keseru.hu . It could be buy nowadays too, it's prize is about 350 USD (50.000 HUF).

·
Registered
221 Posts
KMFDM said:
Kalasnyikov.Hu:

Thank you for the response, that makes sense because the crates I was issuing them from were marked: AMD 65 /3, AMD65 /5 and AMD 65 /7. The /7 crates were the ones with the wooden grips while the /3 and /5 crates had plastic grips.
Thank you for clarifying that.

Regards
Well, my English is not enough this time, to get clear what do you mean. What crates do you tell about?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Kalasnyikov.Hu:

I apologize, I typed the post up in a hurry:
What I intended to say is that perhaps the crate markings have to do with when they were produced.
The shipping crates that I issued them from were straight from Hungarian stockages of AMDs, each shipping crate had: rifles, cleaning kits, and magazines; I cannot remember if they had pouches-but everything was still in its wrappers when the crates were opened to issue the weapons out.
What I noticed when issuing them out was that the guns that came from the crates with markings which I concluded to be a model number but could have been a batch number instead.
There were three Batch/Model numbers series on the crates:
AMD 65 /3 (Plastic grips- dark purple colored)
AMD 65 /5 (Plastic grips- greenish gray)
AMD 65 /7 (Wood grips) end of batch?
I always believed that they were different model numbers because of slight differences in some of the parts but perhaps it is as was said. That wooden grips were used to finish out some of the batches of guns.

I hope that clarifies things a little.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I see, I see...
It is possible, but I had to ask.
maybe, If you have a picture from those crates and the printing on them, that would be great. By the way, it is very possible, they pack you to crates old stocks from somewhere, without any system...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts