AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was browsing through a bunch of AK pictures on this and other sights and noticed a lot of people "oohhhing" and "awwwing" over Russian wood and stuff. Am I the only one who can't tell a difference between Bulgarian, Russian, Egyptian, Polish, ect., wood furniture on an AK?

It all looks pretty much the same to me, yet some people will drop big money on Russian stuff. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem at all with people trying to get their rifles as authentic as possible; but I just don't see a difference in wood from different countries. I assume there must be very subtle differences.

Maybe it is like being tone deaf, but with wood; I'll just never get it... :peep:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Judging by the lack of responses, I'd say maybe you are. :cool:

I still do not have down the early and late subtleties with Russian furniture, but I can definitely tell there are differences between the types of wood used on different AKs.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
Its as different as night and day to me,

Yugo Wood,

Romanian Wood

Russian 74 Laminated Wood

Russian AKM Laminated Wood

Polish Laminated Wood

Egyptian Laminated Wood

Hungarian Wood

Chinese Wood

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Hang out a while... you'll be able to spot it... There are differences...

·
Registered
512 Posts
A lot of the problem I think you're having is it's very hard to come by high quality, high resolution pictures of the different stuff so you can really tell what it looks like. If you've never seen any really nice Russian laminate in person, for instance, and you haven't really come across any really high quality pictures of it, you might not have any idea how beautiful it can really look in person. The laminations, properly finished, take on kind of a holographic quality through the finish and look very very cool.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Nice buffet/example of wood Johno :wink:

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
They are all different! Like Black and White! Strong it is not! The AK force with you! "Yoda" :grin: Give it time!

T :smile:

·
Registered
192 Posts
There is nice wood and nasty wood, but
there is NOTHING like some nice Deep red/orange Russian furniture! :cool:

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
IronBalaclava said:
There is nice wood and nasty wood, but
there is NOTHING like some nice Deep red/orange Russian furniture! :cool:
+1 to that...No other country can seem to match the beauty of design or "old world" finish that the Russian's have...

·
Registered
629 Posts
have to argue with last two posts.... while Russian is sweet, I do have a soft spot in my heart for even nasty beat up Yugo wood... it's my favorite, more solid, less.... laminated...

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
I'll be the Devil's advocate here and say that yeah, at least with the laminate stuff I don't see why people pay a premium for Russian or Maadi stuff. A decent refinish job on Romy furniture will make it look the same, at least to my eye.

Of course, I do like the buttery yellow Bulgarian blonde stuff, and I can see the difference of the Yugo Teak. :smile:

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
How does the Ironwood "Russian" look compared to the real deal?

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
o

Johno, nice example.I'm going to have to say it again, there's nothing like a mint set of russian wood.All the types included.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
When I first started looking at AK's I was overwhelmed by the permutations and everything ran together. Although I am not certain I can spot the differences between the various laminated furniture sets in a fun show bin, part of the fun is discovering the differences as I go along. So I do agree with the OP's comment but would add, more time & study is needed to correct it. I was the same way and now am not.

·
Premium Member
10,498 Posts
There's more to it than the different finishes, Russian laminated handguards have, somewhat, sharper cut hand swells.

·
Banned
8,171 Posts
i would say they look the same but have suttle differences.
i also think the thumbhole stocks are the ones that are very different!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts