AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
911 call of a domestic incident in front yard of home turned into this scene, and ended with a man inside his home being shot at multiple times by a SWAT officer outside, yet no gun was recovered. All pix from same incident just an hour south of me; 2x MRAP's, the mini-tank, and their new Mamba was there, all owned by a town of 15,000, in a county of 75,000.

Reactions: Tommo

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
I get it but......no gun was found doesn't say much. That's aftermath. I sure wouldn't wanna be the cop who was standing around and found out the hard way that there was indeed a rifle or handgun. Damned if you do, damned if you don'tdon't

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
MRAP...everyone needs at least 1!

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
Yep, they flip quite easily.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Talk about escalation of force, did the guy have an RPG-7 to warrant that kind of attention? What's next, police armed with AH-64 Longbows?

·
Super Moderator
26,347 Posts
So then, what's the deal here? What State does he live in, and where is the link for the story?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So then, what's the deal here? What State does he live in, and where is the link for the story?
LOS LUNAS, N.M. -
With shards of glass everywhere, a family in Los Lunas had to clean up after a Thursday SWAT standoff.

Investigators the standoff stemmed from a dispute between a husband and wife. The woman was sent to the hospital during the incident. Her best friend, Jennifer Rogers, said she is doing better as of Friday.

“We had a good Christmas, but now we just have to pick up the pieces,” said Rogers. “Every window is shattered. Doors are ripped off.”

The house is home to a large family, including two elderly persons.

Los Lunas police responded to the original dispute. The wife had injuries to her arms, wrists, legs and said her husband tried to choke her.

“The victim is also surprised that he spiraled out of control,” said Lt. Vince Torres, with the Los Lunas Police Department.

The man ran inside when officers got there and barricaded himself. The man was shot by police when they believed to see him holding a rifle.

In terms of the damage to the home, the family says they understand the SWAT teams were just doing their jobs, but now they have to find the physical and emotional resources to fix everything.

“We're just going to have to tape up the windows is all we can do now, just try to rebuild little by little,” said Rogers.

The man was shot just below his heart and is expected to be OK, according to the family. The man’s name has not been released. Neither has the name of the officer who fired his weapon.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Worried about what?
Military grade weapons used against civilians?
Nah, it happens in Syria every day.

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
I consider the ever growing militarization of civilian police forces worldwide alarming especially here in the US. Give the LE folks what they need to take on the bad guys and win but MRAPS and black ninja clad response teams with all military everything do not comfort me.

Anyway that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
It seems police everywhere just love to justify the cost of their tacticool GI Joe gear and vehicles by overreacting. It's only giving the tinfoil hatters who believe the government is an all-powerful entity more cause to claim that the sky is falling.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Considering that the vast majority of domestic violence incidents--usually considered one of the most dangerous situations a patrol officer has to face--are dealt with by a lone officer armed only with a Glock or M&P handgun, this is not the typical response. There has to be a clear and considerable threat to bring out a SWAT team.

Secondly, the "militarization" of police departments are in response to an increased criminal threat. Gangs, drug cartels and other groups are becoming better and better armed and to combat this the police need to be better equipped.

Lastly, you never want to be outgunned by a threat. Period. Be it a military or criminal situation, only bad things come when the good guys are overwhelmed by a superior armed force. Just look at the 1997 North Hollywood shootout or the 1986 FBI gun battle in Miami to see where that lesson was learned the hard way!

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
Well I can't argue with those three statements you put forth. However when the police department just over in the next town from where I live (this neighboring town has around 3000 people) have an armored car and M-16 rifles as well as at least one GI Maremont M-60 I have to ask why.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Are gangs really becoming better armed, or just more prolific? I'm pretty sure most gangs and even most DTO associates are using the same types of weapons they've been using for the last 30 or 40 years: i.e. whatever they can get their hands on.
So then what's really changed? I think it's the spread of gangs and DTO's in general.

Then again, what does any of that have to do with this particular incident?
Was the guy a big shot in some cartel, or did they use SWAT for simple domestic violence case?
Hard to say without more info.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
Well I can't argue with those three statements you put forth. However when the police department just over in the next town from where I live (this neighboring town has around 3000 people) have an armored car and M-16 rifles as well as at least one GI Maremont M-60 I have to ask why.
Whoa..there isn't anything out your way but quail hunters. They could storm Burpleson with that and probably be successful!

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
This happened south of me about six years ago in Lubbock TX . Domestic dispute with no physical altercation, it led to 7000 rounds expended , none by the husband . He did not have a gun . One officer was killed. The husband was not hurt and was not charged with anything that was of a physical violent nature to a person. His estranged wife called to pick up some of her stuff , he set it in the yard and then set it on fire and went back in the house . When she showed up it was ablaze and the husband was in the house .When the wife was asked if her husband had a firearm she said she thought he might. When the swat team cut loose he hid on a crawl space.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
This happened south of me about six years ago in Lubbock TX . Domestic dispute with no physical altercation, it led to 7000 rounds expended , none by the husband . He did not have a gun . One officer was killed. The husband was not hurt and was not charged with anything that was of a physical violent nature to a person. His estranged wife called to pick up some of her stuff , he set it in the yard and then set it on fire and went back in the house . When she showed up it was ablaze and the husband was in the house .When the wife was asked if her husband had a firearm she said she thought he might. When the swat team cut loose he hid on a crawl space.
Where is their discipline in a situation like this. 7000 rounds expended....they are the ones who need gun control!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
The Hollywood police shoot out was an example of the Police being overwhelmed by firepower. I don't have an issue with PD's having AR's with the latest optics or body armor. The MRAP is a bit much.

Maybe I'm looking at things from a military mindset but I don't live in Al Anbar or Helmand province. I could imagine MRAP's, Apaches, and Predator drones responding to incidents in the future.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts