AK Rifles banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would it cost to have an aluminum cleaning rod made up, like the original AKM cleaning rod, but with female threads to accept standard jags from the gun store?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I just cant imagine an aluminum cleaning rod holding up to pounding a stuck bullet back down the barrel while in the field. I had to pound a bullet out one time and it is a good idea to keep your cleaning rod and kit with the rifle.

Reactions: Jbird206

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I think it will be kind of pricy considering this would probably be a one off job as there's not a lot of people looking for this.
Now I remember Tapco used to sell a brass bit that would screw on to the cleaning rod that would allow you to use American cleaning attachments. But that was 10 years ago not sure if there are more out there or if this would be something you could settle for.

·
Premium Member
13,390 Posts
I think it will be kind of pricy considering this would probably be a one off job as there's not a lot of people looking for this.
Now I remember Tapco used to sell a brass bit that would screw on to the cleaning rod that would allow you to use American cleaning attachments. But that was 10 years ago not sure if there are more out there or if this would be something you could settle for.
My thoughts exactly...much more practical to make an adapter to screw onto existing cleaning rod...probably a DIY with available adapters from LGS.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Yeah you could do it yourself. Brass is soft so wouldn't take much to take a section of a pistol rod, cut and tap one end

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's wrong with the original steel rod and a surplus cleaning kit?
It can damage the bore. (Yes I know the kit comes with a bore guide to reduce this.) I just wanted a little more bore friendly rod & jags, however after "Omega 7.62" mentioned the need to tap out a stuck case or bullet, I'm dropping that idea.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
It can damage the bore. (Yes I know the kit comes with a bore guide to reduce this.) I just wanted a little more bore friendly rod & jags, however after "Omega 7.62" mentioned the need to tap out a stuck case or bullet, I'm dropping that idea.
Your AK cleaning kit also comes with a bore guide.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Your AK cleaning kit also comes with a bore guide.
Yeah.or you could use the bore guide that comes with the kit.

OP why not leave the kit in the stock.keep the rod,and get a bore snake?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah.or you could use the bore guide that comes with the kit.

OP why not leave the kit in the stock.keep the rod,and get a bore snake?
Yup, the kit does come with a bore guide and I mentioned that. That only reduces the wear somewhat. You're still running a steel rod back and forth through the bore.
Until it was brought to my attention that I may need to pop out barrel obstructions; I wanted the aluminum rod to save on the bore a little better. I already have a bore snake and other cleaning equipment, I just wanted to use the modified/original kit in instances when I don't have my other stuff with me. But again as stated above the aluminum rod won't punch stuff out of the bore like a steel one will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts