AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think the SAR 2 barrel's outside dimension is smaller .

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
That is what I thought too. I have a friend looking for a 22mm FSB also.
I have not seen any AIMs74 FSB's around for a couple of years.

An option is to have one of these welded to the existing neutered SAR2 FSB. It is bot a perfect solution but the 24mm adaptor and G=Bulgy muzzle device can look OK. The original plunger will not work AFAIK but a tight fit can be made etc.

24926 14x1 RH to M24x1.5 RH Muzzle Thread Adapter

Or thread the barrel 1/2x28 RH and use this thread adaptor>

24676 1/2-28 to M24 Muzzle Thread Adapter

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used one of those adapters with the allen head screws.It slipped tight right onto the non threaded barrel of the sar2.No mod needed.All I needed was the plunger pin/spring.Then I screwed the 24mm brake on.Cheap alterative,but still no bayo lug.

Does anyone know how much bigger the I.D. diameter of the bulgy FSB 24mm is compared to the O.D. diameter of the sar2 barrel?

I called kvar again today,and still don't know when they will get in,or ever again get any more of the 22mm FSB in stock.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
I used one of those adapters with the allen head screws.It slipped tight right onto the non threaded barrel of the sar2.No mod needed.All I needed was the plunger pin/spring.Then I screwed the 24mm brake on.Cheap alterative,but still no bayo lug.

Does anyone know how much bigger the I.D. diameter of the bulgy FSB 24mm is compared to the O.D. diameter of the sar2 barrel?

I called kvar again today,and still don't know when they will get in,or ever again get any more of the 22mm FSB in stock.
K-VAR has not had the 22mm FSB's for a couple of years. A set screw muzzle device is quite susceptible to coming loose and flying down range. If yours is working that is great but not a good method IMHO.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Outside of accidentally happening onto a 22mm FSB, I think getting the thread alignment tool and die and threading 1/2x28 would be the next best thing.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Outside of accidentally happening onto a 22mm FSB, I think getting the thread alignment tool and die and threading 1/2x28 would be the next best thing.
...then you can buy an inexpensive Chinese 4-piece MB which comes with the 1/2x28 to 24mm adopter and makes it possible to install any AK-74 device. I have it on my AR pistol and it is awesome - murders the recoil!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K-VAR has not had the 22mm FSB's for a couple of years. A set screw muzzle device is quite susceptible to coming loose and flying down range. If yours is working that is great but not a good method IMHO.
So far,with luck it hasn't flew off yet.It was more of an experiment just to see if it could work.It must of been the lok tight holding it together.

Besides that,does anyone have any more info on installing the 24mm bulgy fsb?How to make work?

·
Registered
238 Posts
So far,with luck it hasn't flew off yet.It was more of an experiment just to see if it could work.It must of been the lok tight holding it together.

Besides that,does anyone have any more info on installing the 24mm bulgy fsb?How to make work?
Off the top of my head, I think the ID is about .050" too big, so you'd have to shim it somehow. Rough guess and poor memory makes me think the SAR muzzle diameter is around .510"-.517", and the Bulgy FSB ID is around .570"? Like I said, from a rough memory of the diameters. I'm sure I'm wrong.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
Off the top of my head, I think the ID is about .050" too big, so you'd have to shim it somehow. Rough guess and poor memory makes me think the SAR muzzle diameter is around .510"-.517", and the Bulgy FSB ID is around .570"? Like I said, from a rough memory of the diameters. I'm sure I'm wrong.
That sounds about right in the .517"-.520" FSB barrel journal vs the AKM/AK74 of .571"-.572" FSB journal. A shim would be needed. and about $90-$100 for the parts. If smith work needed for press, shim, turn and install might be quite pricey for a barrel "on" process or to pull the barrel etc.

They are nice when done

I built a Romanian Md86 in 5.45 from the MarcolMar kit and reworked a SAR 3 to Romanian Md97 (5.56) configuration and welded and rebuilt the rear accessory lug on the gas block etc. Added furniture and pushbutton folders and bakelite gas tube covers etc., Both have 22mm FSB., Md86 has original brake and Md97 has USA made 22mm brake for 922r.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
How tough is the weld/rebuild on the rear lug? I've hear of guys doing that with MAK-90s, too.
Tough as in durability? It is very strong. Tough as in the process of fabricating the lug? It takes some file work and I used a mini air die grinder for early removal. A good draw file and a set from Harbor Freight of the small files can work.
A Dremel could work too for some early removal., but it is a 90 degree angle vs the 180 degree die grinder..
Using an existing lug as a guide and a bayonet., you shape and file., and shape and file and test and shape and file. Then cold blue or paint etc. The initial weld will be ugly but a decent size and shape is a good thing,.

·
Technical Advisor
16,054 Posts
What are the materials do I need to "sleeve" the larger bulgy fsb?
This would require barrel removal. The barrel is sleeved. It requires a metal sleeve that is .0005" smaller diameter than the barrel. This is pressed onto the barrel at the front sight base (FSB) journal. Then the sleeve on the barrel is turned down to within .0005" of the ID of the Bulgarian FSB., it varies but about .571" finished size., depends on the actual ID of the FSB.

I do not think it is possible/practical to get a sleeve that thin (nominally only .025" thick) into a FSB without crushing the sleeve.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts