AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was inside earlier today when I heard a ruckus outside. I ran out to my porch just in time to see a bobcat running off with one of my hens who was free ranging just a few feet away from the house. I chase it about 100 feet where my property line ends, and it realizes it can't make it through the fence with the hen. I'm running and yelling and callng it every swear word i can hoping he'll drop her, and he does...then he turned around to me! Realizing he was trapped and there's no telling what he was about to do I stopped in my tracks about 10 feet from it as we stared at each other, I looked for a stick or anything I can get my hands on from the tree hanging near me, thinking if he comes at me at least ill have something to gouge its eye out to give myself a better chance. He then bolts off to the right while I turned back to run inside to grab a .22 Rifle I keep by the door. By the time I get back out he's hopping the fence back into the woods. At this time my fearless dog finally decides to run outside and join me in the chase. I've never seen a bobcat around in the 25 years I've lived in my house, and I don't think it'll be the last, but it that's the case I'm gonna have something bigger than a .22 waiting by the door, he could have very well got my 13 year old miniature pincher instead of a hen.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I always take a handgun with me when I go to investigate a noise, generally a G23 or G22.

·
Registered
897 Posts
You're lucky, a wild animal is completely unpredictable when backed into a corner. Not to mention a bobcat could take down a human fairly easily if you're unarmed.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Unfortunately all the AK's I've built so far, none of them have been zeroed in. But now I have a German K98 that i know for sure is dead accurate, ready by the door and waiting for it to come back around.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It was only there because of an easy food source. Secure the food source (chickens) better and you'll probably never see it again. Do some searching online and you'll find some good ways to keep your chickens safe and the predators at bay.

Nathan

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have them protected pretty well, the fencing around their coop is buried a good couple feed underground, then we have more fencing coming out from that to prevent digging down. We normally let them out for a few hours to free range. Looks like they'll have to stay inside there for a bit though till I can make sure it won't be back anytime soon.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I am gald he didn't attack, because if he had I believe you would have lost that fight.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Yeah he wouldn't "kill" you but would have torn you up enough to get away......the mandatory rabies shots would have really sucked. Bobcat attacks are usually carried out by a rabid animal and regardless of situation rabies would assumed, especially if the cat escapes and no body to autopsy.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
feed it a few cans of tuna outside a live trap. then cover the trap on the sides and end. put some tuna in the trap and pour the juice right outside. gets them everytime. :wink: she/he will be back and probally 3am while your asleep.

·
Registered
21,770 Posts
You got balls chasing after a wild animal to protect one of your own...serious badass points awarded :allright:

But not being armed? :eek: Fortunately flight tends to win out over fight.. I bet you can still hear your heartbeat in your ears from the adrenaline.

Glad you're okay... hospital bills suck

·
Registered
553 Posts
A bobcat is not a overgrown house cat. What grabbed your hen was prob. a young cat passing through. A FL cat is 20/25 lbs- going to hurt you for sure but wouldn't want to unless cornered. They are all over here, sign everywhere, I have seen 1 in 10 years with untold hours in the woods. The cat is prob. long gone at this point. I would worry more over other critters, foxes, coons ect. A 17hrm is what I use when needed to "keep the peace". Good luck with the flock!

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is no bullshit! I actually had a bobcat jump on my back. Of course it was a family pet of a friend of mine. :grin: I had been over a few times and had never encountered said bobcat. One night I was over and I hear my friend say don't move and, I'm like WTF. Next thing I know its like someone hit me in the back with a sack of flour, and I have this 30 lb bobcat laying over my shoulders. They are all like "he likes you, he doesn't ever come around strangers". Spent the night playing with that animal. Pretty cool, but I wouldn't want to corner one in the wild. He was big enough to put some whoop ass on me if he wanted to. Any 30-40 lb wild animal with claws and teeth that big and sharp is bound to be a worthy foe. Thats why I never go to investigate unarmed, come on OP what were you thinking LOL Lesson learned right? Next time something goes bump in the night at least grab that 22. I imagine that was a pucker factor of at least a 6 out of a 10.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
There was a book about catching bobcats and what fighting skills one needs for it. I think it was called revenge of the tiger by claude balls. :grin:

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sad to say but I haven't zeroed In any of the AK's I built since I had to take down the backdrop I use to have, I would have loved to try that 1P29 out though. So for now till I get it sighted it, it's the K98 waiting by the door for it.
mcnee229 said:
My Krink is my bump in the night gun, might I suggest your AK74 being the door gun?

Scott

1 - 20 of 28 Posts