AK Rifles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep you read that right.....25 fricking millimeters.....most of the guns that fire 20mm are 3 times the size and weight of this gun....i can only imagine how/whether they are going to be able to get the recoil under control

http://www.strategypage.com/military_ph ... 81522.aspx

· Registered
2,046 Posts
I feel sorry for the poor bastard that has to field that heavy thing.

· Premium Member
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dead_eye said:
saern said:
all i can say is ouch that would hurt
Maybe not... 46lbs and a giant compensator on the front. They may also go the Weatherby route and use like 2 inches of freebore.
what is this 2 inches of freebore you speak of?

· Premium Member
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mrkermit said:
supposedly the m109 is approx the same weight as the m82a1, which of course fires the 50 cal round, tiny by comparison

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
mrkermit said:
Yep, and the poor spotter who has to hump the ammo.

Why is it that they usually pick the smallest guy to be the "A" gunner anyway? :grin:

I"m guessing some rocket scientist in the Pentagon will call this thing "man portable". :twirl:

· Registered
2,038 Posts
That looks like some seriously anemic 25mm cartridges to me, is there even enough powder to send a round out supersonic?

· Premium Member
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
phreakmode said:
That looks like some seriously anemic 25mm cartridges to me, is there even enough powder to send a round out supersonic?
that's what i thought.....according to the article the rounds themselves are the same kind that helicopter gunships use....but they look woefully underpowered....compare the length of the powder charge on one of these rounds to that on the 20mm rounds that the anzio guns fire...these are tiny by comparison....combine small propellant charge with a 17" bbl (WTF!) and they expect this gun to reach out accurately to 2000m?

what da fawk?

· Super Moderator
26,840 Posts
phreakmode said:
If you were hit by one, supersonic or not, its gonna leave a mark. :twisted:

The Mk19 40mm does not go that fast, and it really fucks up what you hit.

· Registered
2,501 Posts
phreakmode said:
thats what i was thinking, the 20mm is not onley a massive round but it has a massive powder load to back it up. this 25mm cartridge seems to be lacking in casing size, which leads me to believe it will not have the range or the power of the available 20mm rifles.

i wonder how its stands up against the .50 BMG cartridge in an official test?

-matt

· Registered
1,048 Posts
matt85 said:
phreakmode said:
thats what i was thinking, the 20mm is not onley a massive round but it has a massive powder load to back it up. this 25mm cartridge seems to be lacking in casing size, which leads me to believe it will not have the range or the power of the available 20mm rifles.

i wonder how its stands up against the .50 BMG cartridge in an official test?

-matt
This seems much more like some sort of straight line grenade launcher to me. I would be the .50 has much greater barrier penetration capability while the 25mm is more like an area fire weapon (a la M203).

· Registered
2,038 Posts
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_25mm_mk38_pics.htm

If it is a reduced casing and infact does not fire a solid or semi solid projectile, basically what you've got is a reduced payload 40mm grenade launcher. What is the effective range on an HE fired from an m79 or m204, 400-500meters?

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Horse said:
Remember that this is technically a cannon not a gun as the 25mm is an exploding shell not a bullit.
the definition for cannon is that the projectile must have a driving band, regardless of whether the projectile is a solid hunk of steel or thin shell filled with explosives.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.