AK Rifles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been building for a good while and I've always done things my way . What i realized is i may be missing the boat on alignment . specifically - front sight to rear sight to trunion in any specific order . How are you guys lining up your sights . laser ? Any special tools i need to know about . Honestly , ive been using the gas block hole in the barrel as my center and working from there . i use a string and a vice for alignment . when i'm done i take a laser pointer and make sure its on and pin everything down from there . It takes a ton of time from start to finish and i would like to find something a little less time consuming .

appreciate any responses in advance .

Vinman . Las Vegas Nevada .

·
Registered
119 Posts
If it works for you keep doing it. I line them up by eye.
Ditto. As a check I take a very flat surface, place the rifle upside down on the ears of the rsb and fsb and check for wobble. This assumes that the sides of the front sight and rear sights are the same height. Worked well on my bulgy kits but the theory screwed me on two out of three Egyptian kits. Pin fsb after sighting.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I do it by eye as well. I too am a stickler for getting it right. I think my record for pressing a gas block front sight off and on again is about fifteen times. Even a slight cant bothers me!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
On my rifles, I bore sight it, eye ball it, and test fire before I pin so I can make sure the front sight post is center. Probably more time consuming than what you already do but I'm picky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've always done a combination of eyeballing the angle of the FSB and RSB to make sure they're lined up, and then I flip the barrel over, check for wobble, and make sure the bottom of the GB is flush with the FSB bottom. I've had decent results.

For a more "thorough" method, I'm fabricating up some rods that will thread into the FSB tumbler, and I'm modifying a "windage adjuster" to accept a threaded rod at the top, so that when completed, the rods will need to be 100% parallel, and will mean that FSB and RSB are dead straight.

What lasers are you guys using to align the barrel components? Please post up some recommendations, and maybe some pic showing your process!

·
Registered
28 Posts
^ I used to do them by eye....now I use the above method. I call them clocking rods but it's the same thing. Two cleaning rods to be exact. One on the rsb with the leaf flipped up, one on the fsb ears, assembled barrel on a flat surface. It's so easy to see if the fsb and rsb are out of alignment with each other with this method and it's way more accurate than eyeballing it. By eye it can look perfect, but use the rods and you find out they are not! This is the best method I know of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts