AK Rifles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know but these pins seem shorter than yugo pins?

One of my yugo pins developed some wear that was close to popping the primers, I slightly buffed it and it ran fine but I ordered some of the alby pins just to be safe. They're two sided not three like a yugo pin, they seem like they're parked too. I buffed one smooth and swapped it in. It shakes free but it seems like it doesn't protrude as much as my yugo pins.

Haven't fired the rifle yet. Cycled a round in the backyard and it dented the primer like normal...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol, I should have specified.

They're the same size in length, the albanians are two sided not three.

When installed in the bolt it seems like the albanian pin sticks out less from the bolt
Face than the yugo pin.

Im shooting it tomorrow though. Its probably my imagination.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Flat style FPs like Albanian and ChiCom instead of a triangular one shouldn't make any difference in function according to everybody who's swapped them (I haven't).

If it does not work, Copes has triangular ones for $10.

·
Registered
16 Posts
As for popped primers, it happened twice. Both of my Yugo M59s (not 66) were recently acquired in excellent condition: all matching bolts, actions etc.
Each rifle suffered a popped primer last week:(-both used new Tula ammo.

Ben Murray, of Murray's Gunsmithing left an informative description of what popped primers really consist of. One possibility can be different lengths of free bore (leade area) in various SKS rifle origins.

His company provides some interesting services, and at a modest cost can eliminate any more popped primers in your SKS. If a popped primer happens again in one or both of mine, they will immed. be shipped to his company in TX.

Ben's unique description of the problem is under one of my "....Firing pin..." topics, now at "SKSboards", General Topics.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what you do. Strip your bolt, clean the hell out of the firing pin hole, the pipe cleaners that come with the m16 cleaning kit work great, .17 caliber bore swabs work great too. Using almost no pressure and a fine sand paper block, preferably a soft one that you can use the corner of, lightly polish your bolt face. If you have noticable or extreme "volcano" cratering of the firing pin hole then use a stone to lightly correct the defect then countersink the hole just a little.

The bolt giving me issues now works perfectly firing a variety of ammo and the since I had a bunch of firing pins I picked a two sided one that had good protrusion. Still less than the original but, functions perfect.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts