AK Rifles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I ran into a guy who wants to sell an Albanian jobber for 390. There wasn't much time so I didn't get to take it apart. He is holding it for me until Friday when I will get more time to check it out. What I do know is this..... It was made in 1971. All visible numbers matched. The bore was schweet (excellent). The stock was very good with almost no marks. However, there were original factory sanding marks. This is the first one that I have ever actually held but I just assumed the roughly finished stock was normal. The shellac was all there too but kind of rough like sand paper in places. If you have ever run your hand along the bottom of a stealth fighter plane you know what I mean. Bluing was 90%ish. Deep everywhere except along some of the sharp edges where it was thin or gone entirely. From 10 feet away, it basicly looks unissued. Upon close inspection, it looks very lightly used and well cared for. No pitting anywhere, bright bolt carrier...you get the idea. If I remember correctly, numbered parts that I saw were stock, topcover, receiver, bolt carrier, trigger guard, and magazine. So, what parts do I look for a number on inside when I see it on Friday? Also, did I miss any exterior parts to check for numbers? Is it worth 390 if it is all matching?? What if it turns out that some parts are not matching?? Again, I have never seen one before other than pictures and the net seems give way low and way high figures on value. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings too!!! :smile:

·
Registered
265 Posts
nice Russian.....blahhh.........its a little high priced, but I would much rather have another Alby over another Russian..........Russians area a dime a dozen, but with less than 6000 Albys in the US, if you have the means ..... grab it

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a chance to take it apart this evening. The guy had only cleaned the cosmoline off of the exterior surfaces.....what greasy mess. he had never shot it. everything was matching and they had also ep'ed the extractor and the bottom of the rear sight leaf. I brought it home and cleaned it up. Compared to my yugo M59, it is crude. Reminds me of the workmanship in a mid war Japanese rifle. I can also see why these things are not very reliable if they are mismatched because it is obvious that every part is hand fitted to the rifle. Now I guess I gotta see how well it shoots! Thanks for all the advice guys! You made things easy for me!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Agree, $390 is too much for a Russian. There is one in pretty good shape at a local dealer for $299, but I already have one.

·
Registered
6,478 Posts
I think I paid $250 for my Albanian a few years ago. Ok Shape - Nothing special. You really don't see them for sale very often on the boards. I guess I didn't know only 6K are in the states.

We'll all look forward to your pics when you pick it up!:wink:

My 1969 Albanian SKS

1 - 7 of 7 Posts