AK Rifles banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is spin-off thread from gunboards.com.

I've been comparing AKS pictures to my own Polish AKMS and I spotted one difference. When the Folding stock is opened, the stock-barrel line of the Polish (or original russian) AKMS is straight or almost straight when compared to AKS.

As member AKBLUE guided me at the gunboards, there are different locking parts at the folding stock in the russian, polish and yugoslavian AKMS, which affect the AKMS stock angle when compared to AKS, but that can't be all. There must be a specific reason why the russians changed the angle. As much (or little) as I know russian small-arms industry and their mentality, the change of the angle between older and improved model cannot be just a coincidence.

Difference in stock-barrel angle is clearly visible in the pictures, but I've never spotted or red any reference for the feature from the literature. Take a look few examples, randomly picked up from the internet:

AKMS:

http://free.x3.hu/bebaszov/fegyverek.../akms_icon.jpg

AKS:

http://www.militaria.wz.cz/ak-47/ak-47/aks-47.jpg

What do you guys think?

· Registered
8,468 Posts
An in-line buttstock helps mitigate muzzle climb. It was just one of the improvements made during the development of the Soviet AKMS. They also improved the angle of the fixed buttstocks, too.

It is the location of the holes in the struts that makes the stock drop or extend straight back.

· Registered
3,318 Posts
This would mimic the difference in stock angle between AK-47 and (Russian-style) AKM, which is a lot straighter. What do Chinese folders look like? Their wooden stocks never adopted the straight back, to my knowledge...

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Richard W. said:
An in-line buttstock helps mitigate muzzle climb. It was just one of the improvements made during the development of the Soviet AKMS. They also improved the angle of the fixed buttstocks, too.
Thanks Richard.
I was thinking of the same too, the only possible reason for the parallel change. Like I said, the feature like that in the improved design cannot be just a coincidence.

Can you point me any literature references? I'm bothered that I've never found any references to support my assumption.

· Registered
892 Posts
CumbiaDude said:
What do Chinese folders look like? Their wooden stocks never adopted the straight back, to my knowledge...
They have a lot of drop like the aks. Shooting one is more of a chin weld than a cheekweld.

· Registered
8,410 Posts
Look in almost any gun book and find the obligatory list of improvements made to the AK to produce the AKM, and you will normally see mention that the AKM has a straight stock layout to reduce muzzle climb. This was a feature adopted by many designers of assault rifles around the same time, to include Stoner with the Armalite. One of the first ones to successfully use this layout was my favorite small arm, the FG42. China never truly adopted the entire AKM package, they just borrowed the sheet metal and the rivets, hehe!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Tantal. Excellent. I was sure that it wasn't a coincidence, that the barrel and stock became aligned in AKM when compared to AK. Improved design with improved features.

Tantal said:
Look in almost any gun book and find the obligatory list of improvements made to the AK to produce the AKM, and you will normally see mention that the AKM has a straight stock layout to reduce muzzle climb.
Can you give me any references from the literature please? I only have E. C. Ezell's book and J. Poyer's book at hand, and both of them don't mention the change in the stock angle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.