AK Rifles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just put my AKM together that had come back from Piece of History for some work that had been done to it. It is an Izhmash conversion that Red Jacket did originally if you could call it that. They did a horrendous job on the conversion, sloppy and cheap but after $580 Mario fixed it up right. After seeing the great job Mario did on my AKM I'm never using anyone else for my AK jobs. He is the man.:)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Very nice! Mario always does fantastic work, and seeing his rifles are like seeing masterpieces in the gunsmithing world. Mario has my Polish Tantal right now for a complete rebuild. It definitely isn't a cheap venture...tack another $100 on for what I'm having him do to the Tantal.

To give you guys an idea here's what I have him doing...

1) Swapping parts, including original Polish barrel, from an early Interarms Tantal to a NDS-2T receiver
2) Installing functional left side selector lever (semi-only of course)
3) Installing correct Tantal side optics rail with rifle serial # engraved on rail
4) Modifying receiver for faux 3rd pin
5) Correct Tantal selector markings
6) Moly over park finish with rear sight leaf and muzzle brake blued

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mario had to replace the hole trigger guard magazine release assembly as Red Jacket just used the cut Saiga trigger guard. Filled in the slot where the blot hold open lever was by the trigger, fix the rear sight base as the sight was wobbly from Red Jacket. Remove side scope rail and fill in holes smooth, correct selector dimples and markings on receiver. He had to fix a few extra little tid bits on the barrel and receiver. Refinish entire gun and parts. I'm very happy with his work. Yeah, wish I had taken a few pre pics but didn't.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Never got anything out of them. I wouldn't sent Obama's or Biden's gun to them to get worked on, yes they are that bad.

Reactions: Jbird206

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
That stinks, especially how they portray on TV how concerned they are on quality builds. Glad Mario could help you.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Really like your AKM. Soon I hope to get the 74uLLC receiver for my '69 Izzy and will be contacting POHF for my build on it and perhaps a Bulgy '74 as well. So far as Red Jacket is concerned, I can only divine what I saw on the television series about them. I recall one episode when the employee whom married the daughter was working on a Japanese T38 rifle. He was talking to the cameraman while trying to unscrew the cleaning rod from the rifle. Well, since the rod is held by a spring-loaded steel retaining bar behind the underside of the front barrel band, he could have turned that rod forever! The other thing I took away was what appeared to be the haphazard, "fly by the seat of your pants" approach to some of their builds. Surprising no one had ended up loosing an eye, hand, or life yet.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had red jacket refinish some parts for me but when it came time to ship them they just bunched them all together and wrapped in some paper. When they arrived they were scratched all up and I was like WTF??? They couldn't wrap each part individually, I guess that was to hard and time consuming. Every experience I've had with them has been negative.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Rifle looks sweet! Congrats!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts