AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this kit recently, trying to find the last year of production.

Original barrel, all matching.

Trunnion holes have been tapped for screw build but isn’t sloppy, this can still be riveted no problem?

MC XXXX serial.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
Good save. I like seeing the older (Its 2007 - gotta build it NOW) builds liberated. You should be able to rivet despite the threads.

I know my kit has a prefix that begins with M. All milled parts unlike the later kits that have cast FSBs, etc.

The only solid documentation tying a Hungarian serial number to a date is a Hungarian shipping crate. There would be a tag inside the crate with a date - most likely a "date packed."

I do have a picture of the outside of a Hungarian crate that is marked for the AKM-63, but I could not view the tag.

Only PRDUBI has that kind of access to crates. Maybe one day he'll have time for that project.

If going for an accurate build get a Recreator "Khyber" receiver - choose Hungarian but don't opt for markings. Weaponmark has the correct "thick" font Hungarian AKM markings used on earlier rifles.

Reactions: Andyman

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, I would be ashamed to tell what I paid for it.

Probably gonna sell, it’s too nice to build some type of Soviet clone or whatever. Some diehard collector needs it.

I’ve already got a Blue Ridge AK55 for my Hungarian itch until hopefully the new FEG stuff comes in

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
Yep, PRDUBI might be able to peg the manufacturing year. That kit is much closer to the first year of production than the last, given the wee rivets on the LHG. I've got a low number MC-prefix just like it (including the tapped holes) waiting to build.

Reactions: MPiKM-72

·
Registered
8,029 Posts

Reactions: Slurms MacKenzie

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think it’s worth $750?

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
At least, perhaps $850. Tough to beat a nice OG barrel kit, and the early examples W/ riveted HG are worth a bit more.

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
There were 2 up for sale on akfiles before it crashed in the $900 range and had been sitting awhile, I think the $750-850 range is about right for them, but you might get higher on gunbroker.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Think it’s worth $750?

I wouldn't blink to pay $750 for one. It is one of those things that they just aren't bringing them in any longer. Hell I haven't even seen a no barrel 63 kit. I have been thinking about buying a 65 and building as a 63 by replacing the piston and gas tube and adding a stock.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Think it’s worth $750?

I wouldn't blink to pay $750 for one. It is one of those things that they just aren't bringing them in any longer. Hell I haven't even seen a no barrel 63 kit. I have been thinking about buying a 65 and building as a 63 by replacing the piston and gas tube and adding a stock from ironwood.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Pretty sure they were fairly short lived. My guess would be between 1965 and 1977. (yours with the riveted lower, Id say before 1970)

People selling them like to claim "That only 700 kits were brought in". They are fairly easy to find one if you are looking.

A lot of times they are $750. During the Hungarian Gotta Have It bubble, they did top out around 900.

However, on yours, you have the early riveted lower(people, not many, but those that do value that at $75-100 alone) The wood is blonder than not. Do you have a moon-man stamp on the rear trunnion tang?
Nice Kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I sold a nice AKM 63 on Gunbroker for $1400 about a month ago. It was a nice gun built on a Armory USA reciever. Only reason I sold it is because I have another that was built from an unissued kit by Dallas Moore.
Funny, my kit was missing one of the grips also, but found a nice match.

·
Super Moderator
7,920 Posts
I wouldn't blink to pay $750 for one. It is one of those things that they just aren't bringing them in any longer. Hell I haven't even seen a no barrel 63 kit. I have been thinking about buying a 65 and building as a 63 by replacing the piston and gas tube and adding a stock.
That's one aspect of their scarcity, I don't know of any AKM63 kits being imported post-barrel ban, which was quite a ways back. Something about the Hungarian AKs and lack of appreciation and strong collector interest that's sort of mysterious. The AKM63 is one of the most unique configurations, yet the collector market has always been somewhat "meh...", and this can be said across the Hungarian AK variant spectrum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have two of these kits. One ME prefix and one MF prefix. The ME kit was built on a recreator by Two Rivers and is absolutley beautiful. I personally think these were either made in the ‘80s from left over parts because the paint on them is duller and rougher looking than on a late ‘60s early ‘70s AMD-65 kit. Or they were kept in reserve and refinished in the ‘80s before being shipped out to some kind of workers militia also sometime in the ‘80s. I have no proof other than a ship date I got from PRDUBI on the ME prefix rifle.

i did pay ~$900 shipped for the first one a couple years ago and got the second this year for a partial trade.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
When I get back,.I will endeavor to lock myself in the archive room and research more.

I've showed it before but it's all in the shipping crate,.the SN and dates of production.

It's just a matter of doing a proper accounting of it and that takes time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for all the replies guys, my specialty is Chicom AKs, learned a lot about the AKM-63.

Like the rest of you I’m excited about the return of FEG and plan to buy.

Keep an eye on the marketplace....

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
We are trying and trying and every week talking with people and we are excited but it's this constant set backs and delays upon delays... this covid is not helping either.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts