AK Rifles banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to build a Bulgarian parts kit into a AK74M clone.

I have gathered the following authentic parts:

1. I have the correct Russian poly furniture and folding hardware.

2. I have the correct Russian muzzle brake.

3. I have the correct rear sight inbound.

4. I have a 2005 OTK-dated sling.

5. I have a current issue drop case and mag pouch.

6. I have a plum-black Izh mag.

7. I have the current issue optics rail.

8. I have the proper top cover.

9. I have a black Izhmash bayo that I believe I can re-activate.

My plan for US parts are:

1. NDS/DCI AK74 premium receiver when available

2. US piston

3. US FCG

4. US pistol grip or US mag part

I plan to have the:

1. Trunnion re-marked with Izhmash arsenal mark and 2005 date code.

2. Receiver marked with the appropriate cyrillic selector markings.

Other features I plan to include:

1. The mysterious "third rivet" - at the bottom of the picture

2. Rounded riveting area on the trigger guard - pictured to the right

3. Beveled relief cut on the carrier - bottom of the picture

4. Somehow modify the existing Bulgarian barrel parts to have appropriate "dimples" - as pictured

NOW - what I need suggestions on is how to work in the "third rivet" and the barrel part dimples.

Use a dremel or drill for the barrel parts and just cut in a light dimple?

Could another rivet be squashed and welded on to give the appearance of the "third rivet"?

Any other suggestions to complete the authenticity of this build will be much appreciated. This one is going to be the jewel of my collection. (Until I can buy a Class III FA, anyway)

(***Photo and info credit to the Tantal/Ekie guide*** http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/variants.html )

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Use a dremel or drill for the barrel parts and just cut in a light dimple?
For all the work you are putting into it, and cost associated with the build, I would use a ball end mill of the appropriate size. Of course, I would use it on a mill, or have someone do it. Take pictures of your desired results with you, and have accurate measurements. Any machinist should be able to hook you up.

Could another rivet be squashed and welded on to give the appearance of the "third rivet"?
The quick and easy(er) way would be to have a SKILLED welder place a bead in the exact spot, of the appropriate size, then file the top flat.

I do not fully understand the function of the rivet, but apparently it replaces an amount of metal formally on the trunnion. I believe it bump-starts the bolt rotating into lockup. By moving it from the trunnion to a riveted on (or perhaps the rivet itself does the work) piece, it's replacable if it wears out. Since you won't have the correct trunnion, barring any input from somebody more knowledgeable I would say simulate with a bead of weld.

That's my 2 dinar, anyway.
~Doug

·
Registered
185 Posts
the third rievt ive only ever seen on a saiga
granted i havnt had a new russian ak in my hands

but the 1 on the saiga is used to turn the bolt
cause there is no bullet guide

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Don't forget the pistol grip reinforcing plate.

Ted Marshall does punch press dimples, BTW, along with selector markings and date codes/arsenal markings.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Sounds like you're going all out. Should be really nice. You might want to try to hunt down the correct front sight base... it's different than the ones on the Builgie AK-74s. Hard to find, but they're out there if you look hard enough and bug the right people :goof:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...share! I'm listening... I have been told that they are made of unobtainium and therefore not accessible or importable.

BTW, is the "third rivet" only on the left side? Or both?

·
Registered
10,181 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
OK...share! I'm listening... I have been told that they are made of unobtainium and therefore not accessible or importable.

BTW, is the "third rivet" only on the left side? Or both?
Contact ANdrei in Russia... He might be able to get one..

Third rivit is only on the one side.. It actually is a functional part of the trunnion, and not just for attachment.. It helps turn the bolt.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andrei is no help. I've pestered him several times about it.

Any other ideas? Weld/grind/mill the front sight base into a copy?

PM me with any ideas you might have.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am also building a AK74M I had Ted Marshall do the press weld dimples and they look great also I had him engrave my trunnion for '94. I figure '94 being the first year that could explain why there are dimples on the front sight base, thats all I can think of. I tried Andrei for the new style front sight base too he said he couldn't get a hold of one. I did talk to Tantal about it and he said he'd be willing to sell his but I guess he wants a handsome price because I offered to buy it and he declined for my price. What kind of top cover do you have? I bought a 74M top cover from Ted that he says is from Russia theres a little mark on it but nothing to indicate that its Russian. What kit do you have I got a Bulgy AKS-74 kit from K-Var last summer and it came with the round trigger guard. Where'd you get your muzzle break, Tantal? See I waited to get one from him and he sold out and looks like I'll have to get one of Chris Butler's repros and its more expensive. That should teach me next time to not wait around I guess. Another thing you should get is a pistol grip screw and nut from rusmilitary it comes with the diamond arsenal mark on it. I think that's all I have to say now :grin:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The top cover is from a Saiga.

The kit is a Bulgarian AKS-74. I took the folding stock and hardware off for another project.

The muzzle brake is from Tantal, but it doesn't have a bullet baffle pressed in.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Great/twisted minds think alike. :grin:

I'm going for an early (~'91 or so) AK74M. That way I avoid the whole 3rd rivet issue. And I can use the retro scope mount.

I cheated a little on the furniture. :smile:

Also, in the photos I've seen of 74Ms & 100 series rifles, they don't have the arsenal mark/year stamp like earlier AK rifles did. Just serial numbers that look like the ones on Saigas. But I haven't seen that many photos though.

If some else has seen the arsenal mark/date stamp on a 74M or 100 series AK, I'd be interested in knowing about it.

I hope NDS starts selling those new 74 receivers pretty soon.

ETA: Krebs makes a really nice copy of the correct style Russian muzzle brake and it counts as another US of course. It comes in .22 caliber too, the available Russian ones that I have seen are all .30 cal.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Where'd you get your front sight base? Is there two of them there? Sorry I dint get the pictures up tonight I should have them up by Friday I dont have a digital camera so I have to borrow a friends. Anyone know where to get Russian hanguards gas tube covers and pistol grips with ink stamps on them? I've ordered two pistol grips from Andrei and both don't have a ink mark on them. If anyone needs a Russian pistol grip let me know. Theya re a little bit different than Bulgarian or the Us grips they have a little bevel on the end.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Neither of mine had ink marks

Mike - where did you get the guard, sight bases and carrier/piston?

·
Registered
891 Posts
The rear sight base and carrier/piston came from a Saiga rifle.

The front sight base came from a Junker air rifle. Same thing with the trigger guard with the proper mag release. A few years ago people were cutting them up for parts and I bought them then.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are those air rifle sight bases going to work?

·
Registered
891 Posts
CornFedHusker said:
Are those air rifle sight bases going to work?
AFAIK the front sight base is the same as the part that is used on the AK74M except the bayonet lug ears have been ground down. A situation I hope to rectify very soon. :smile:

Also, because of the "punch weld" method of attachment, the only way to get the FSB off of the barrel that I know of is to drill out the punched spots and then you have to weld the holes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Too bad those Junker rifles are going for 700 or more.

Which Saiga did you take that carrier/piston from? .223?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts